Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished up splitting/stacking this weekend. Everything in the "shed" and ~98% of the stack to the left is hand split. I borrowed a hydraulic splitter for a few hours on Friday to split the hard stuff, and just finish off everything else.
DSCF0518.JPG
I think this will be used in the winter starting in '23 or so.. It should be dry by then. :laugh:

First time posting, but learning alot from everyone on here. This is my very low budget 12-ish cord firewood shed. Basically, only had to buy a few bags of concrete, posts, roofing underlayment, and some 2x4s. Trying to use as much as I could scrounge up for free.

One question, should i put plastic under the floor pallets to minimize any moisture from the ground? There is almost a constant breeze thru this location all year round and it gets sun all day as it is on top of a hill - especially as i will be cutting down all the scrub trees on the back side of the shed.

Also, just want to express my thanks and appreciation for all the information that has been posted on these forums! It has been very helpful.:)

Attachments

• 20211202_150510.jpg
    20211202_150510.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20211202_150617.jpg
    20211202_150617.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 67
First time posting, but learning alot from everyone on here. This is my very low budget 12-ish cord firewood shed. Basically, only had to buy a few bags of concrete, posts, roofing underlayment, and some 2x4s. Trying to use as much as I could scrounge up for free.

One question, should i put plastic under the floor pallets to minimize any moisture from the ground? There is almost a constant breeze thru this location all year round and it gets sun all day as it is on top of a hill - especially as i will be cutting down all the scrub trees on the back side of the shed.

Also, just want to express my thanks and appreciation for all the information that has been posted on these forums! It has been very helpful.:)
I wouldn't personally put plastic there, but would not lay the pallets directly on the ground either. We get bad termites so I would always suspend a timber floor where possible. I also wouldn't want to be replacing the floor due to rot in a couple of years.

If neither of those things are an issue for you then I don't think that moisture will be a problem.

Tom.

I wouldn't personally put plastic there, but would not lay the pallets directly on the ground either. We get bad termites so I would always suspend a timber floor where possible. I also wouldn't want to be replacing the floor due to rot in a couple of years.

If neither of those things are an issue for you then I don't think that moisture will be a problem.

Tom.
Thanks for the reply! :)

I fully plan on replacing the pallets as needed - I have access to seeming endless supply and they are free. The idea of the shed is to be a central storage point for us, my parents, and the in-laws firewood(both sets of parents are no longer able to do it themselves). We will fill the shed - then once the wood is seasoned, deliver the wood to various locations. Replace any pallets that are rotten or broken, then repeat the process.

Can some one explain the "noodles/noodling" please.

Cutting with the grain so it pulls long chips. Picture a standing tree, and the saw bar pointing straight up. That’s the way you cut the log. Some do it instead of splitting on the bigger logs. Of course it’s done after the logs are cut to firewood length.

Back