Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking splitter. How many tons is that thing?
You make it yourself.
Thanks, my grandfather originally made it back in the 1960's or 70's. He would take a 4" cylinder off of a farm implement and put it on the splitter for the winter. He had the pump set up to run off the PTO of a tractor.

My dad and I rebuilt it in the late 90's and added the crank start two cylinder Wisconsin engine and a new 4" cylinder. I don't know exactly how many tons it is because I've never measured the system pressure. Assuming 3000psi, it would be just shy of 19 tons. It splits 95% of everything we want to split.

We are currently in the planning stages of a new splitter build that will use a 4 cylinder electric start Wisconsin engine and a 5" cylinder.

This is at a client's property in Colfax, California. After the "River Fire". Been cutting and shplitting at his place for weeks and have been loving it.
WOW! California? Didn't think you were allowed to burn wood in California. Excluding the wild fires. Can't do much of anything out that way. Not my opinion, just fact! Everything out there causes cancer. Just read the labels. OT

WOW! California? Didn't think you were allowed to burn wood in California. Excluding the wild fires. Can't do much of anything out that way. Not my opinion, just fact!

Not fact, just the propaganda you consume. My California house is nice and warm from the wood burning in the 100% legal stove right now.

WOW! California? Didn't think you were allowed to burn wood in California. Excluding the wild fires. Can't do much of anything out that way. Not my opinion, just fact! Everything out there causes cancer. Just read the labels. OT

In the city here, wood burning is only allowed on burn days, during and after a storm is a good bet you’ll be able to burn. It clears the air out. If we’re stagnant for a time, burning will be prohibited. If your heater doesn’t work, you’re exempt from the rules. I know someone who has been burning for many years, he just tells them his heater is broken. One year our heater really was broken, we burned all winter without anyone coming to investigate. Houses on propane in rural areas get to burn, they’re exempt from following the burn days. Firewood is still a thriving business here, you can look at Craigslist and see many adds.

There‘s lots of misinformation about California in other states, I usually don’t bother correcting it.
That is because it would not do any good. You guys are more up north in the state. But when you get into the big cities It is a whole different story. I used to have a good friend for many years that lived in Clovis and he burned wood when they would let him. He left the state finally.

A relatively warm and sunny afternoon, so I enjoyed the winter break with some splitting and stacking:

IMG_0568.jpg

I am way behind my usual pace, but another year older, and I don't have the advantage of 3 hundred year old oaks that blew over during storms and politely close enough to my splitting area that I was able to kick roll them from where they landed to where I intended to split and stack.

A relatively warm and sunny afternoon, so I enjoyed the winter break with some splitting and stacking:

View attachment 959489

I am way behind my usual pace, but another year older, and I don't have the advantage of 3 hundred year old oaks that blew over during storms and politely close enough to my splitting area that I was able to kick roll them from where they landed to where I intended to split and stack.
Are you building a fence? Nice long stack of wood.

How long is that pile?
I'll have to measure it, but not nearly as long as it was in September when it started moving out. Here is a survey video from last winter of this set of stacks:

Are you building a fence? Nice long stack of wood.
I prefer to call it my Wall protecting my southern border

View attachment 959489

That is one pretty woodpile.

Not fact, just the propaganda you consume. My California house is nice and warm from the wood burning in the 100% legal stove right now.
Sorry, but not as you say, propaganda. You clarify everything with the 100% legal stove comment. Emphasis on 100% legal. The CA legislature went a long way to address the Hodge/Podge district, county, city, municipality laws, codes, restrictions, etc. that were in conflict from one to the next. Go here:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=200320040AB720Please, by all means, enjoy your 100% legal stove. :)

Today's shplintins for a milf in town then some for the personal stash on my way home.
Running a 24" bar and aggressive chain on the 661c-r. Had to rip most of these rounds.
The 27 ton champion gets the job done and is light enough for me to move around wherever I want. No termites or ants today just a nice healthy oak.
20220128_082956.jpg20220128_161445.jpg20220128_161358.jpg

Back