Poulan 2150 Type 1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Court

Reaction score
so I rebuilt my Dad's old Poulan 2150...
new lines, filters, carb and more
I know i likely wasted my money and should have just a new saw, but I like a challenge and it was my Dad's who is not with me anymore so....
I get it started with no issue, let it idle and warm up, throttle up just fine.
But wants to die as soon as I let off the throttle, and then does not want to start again without a good long rest.
Every think on the saw is new all filters, good fuel... used a tachometer so i know my rpm's are where they should be.
any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated

Check the compression with a known good gauge meant for small engines, not wanting to start when hot is one sign of low compression. With those saws about 110psi is minimum for reliable starting. If low, remove the muffler and check piston for scoring. Having to sit for a long time before it will start can also be a sign of flooding, when it dies, check the plug to see if it is wet. Keep at it, those are very simple saws, easy to work on and the parts are cheap.

Check the compression with a known good gauge meant for small engines, not wanting to start when hot is one sign of low compression. With those saws about 110psi is minimum for reliable starting.
A little late reading this but noticed the above comment about a compression gauge for small engines. I have a couple compression testers that I used working on car engines that have about a foot long rubber hoses.

I tried checking compression on a baby Poulan XXV, well actually labeled as a craftsman 358.355041, and the best it would read was 90 psi. I was wondering due to the tiny size of the piston if I'm not getting an accurate reading? Looking down in the ports the cylinder looks nice and smooth and ring appears to be free as pushing on it with popsicle stick it has some spring to it.

I know I'm not going to fell any mighty oak trees with this saw, just seeing if this old retired heavy equipment mechanic can still fix things at times. It has spark so I'm thinking with new fuel line and a carb cleaning it just might run!

A little late reading this but noticed the above comment about a compression gauge for small engines. I have a couple compression testers that I used working on car engines that have about a foot long rubber hoses.

I tried checking compression on a baby Poulan XXV, well actually labeled as a craftsman 358.355041, and the best it would read was 90 psi. I was wondering due to the tiny size of the piston if I'm not getting an accurate reading? Looking down in the ports the cylinder looks nice and smooth and ring appears to be free as pushing on it with popsicle stick it has some spring to it.

I know I'm not going to fell any mighty oak trees with this saw, just seeing if this old retired heavy equipment mechanic can still fix things at times. It has spark so I'm thinking with new fuel line and a carb cleaning it just might run!
The schraeder valve must be a low pressure one (white band) and it has to be right at the fitting that goes into the spark plug hole.

The schraeder valve must be a low pressure one (white band) and it has to be right at the fitting that goes into the spark plug hole.
Then like I was thinking the old automotive compression tester might not be giving me a real accurate reading on this tiny 2-stroke.

I know it might not be a good idea for a motor that one is going to depend on but for kicks I dribbled maybe 1/8 a teaspoon of acetone in the carb throat and pulled the starter cord. If I can get it to fire up like that on 2-stroke gas/oil mix I'll be a happy camper. Only ran for maybe 1/2 second but sounded mean!

Guess next step is to get some carb spray cleaner and make sure passages are all open and a piece of new fuel line and give a try with real gas!

I’m having the same issue in the same saw. New seals in carb, new line and filter and bulb. Tried to start and it would idle low for a sec and die. Reset the high and low (all the way in on both and then 2 full turns out?) it started and would let me rev it all the way up. Started to tune the high side and after the saw as warm it bogged and died as I was letting out. The. It would not start back no matter what I did. Pulled the plug and it was dry…. So I guess I’m getting a compression tester lol

Back