Poulan 2300 Linkage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sritzau

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Poulan 2300 with a broken linkage. The wire that goes from the trigger to the throttle broke right at the carb.

Many will tell me that I should just throw it out and get a "real chainsaw" - and believe me that that was already part of the plan - but I would still like to have "Weasel" - as I have dubbed the saw - for nasty jobs. As cheesey as he is, he has cut a lot of wood.

Is there an easy way to get a replacement? What about making one? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Howdy,

You just about have to get the correct part, and then it is no fun to put in. Are you sure it broke off, or did it just come disconnected?

Replacing throttle linkage can be a bear, because there is a whole lot of parts inside that handle at the thottle. When you take this apart, you have to be very careful of loose springs, and note the exact location of each part. If you have not done this, and don't have a diagram of it, it is probably best to take it in to a dealer's mechanic.

Regards,
Walt Galer

My memory's a little fuzzy, but isn't the 2300 an XXV with AV features? It would actually be a prety good saw if that were the case.

Yep, I'm pretty sure the 2300, is the 2.3, the micro, and all those other things they called it, If i remember correctly, the throttle linkage is a bent single piece that requires removing the carb to allow you to hook the linkage back into the throttle plate.

More Info

I believe the Poulan 2300 is different from the XXV. The XXV's I've seen are top-trigger models with the triggers enclosed within the handle. This saw cost someone about $100 five (or so) years ago at Home Depot (or the equivalent.) The trigger mechanism is not enclosed within the handle.

The linkage is - as Methoss084 described it - a single bent piece of wire and that piece of wire is indeed broken. For those familiar with the shape of the thing, it broke clean in the middle of the straight portion that runs near the top of the carb by the choke. I can't see what would have caused this kind of breakage other than fatigue.

I have not disassembled anything. I still have the original manuals, but I haven't gotten into them to see if they have good diagrams (i work weekends). Is it true that I will have to remove the carb to change it? I have never done this, but believe I could handle it provided - as Walt mentioned - I have a good set of diagrams.

Howdy Siritzu,

Before you disassemble anything, take a real good look back in there where the linkage goes back to the trigger. Is it possible to unhook it from the trigger, and rehookup a new one, without disassembly? On some models you can get away with this if you are an ambidextrous midget, and have a light amplification eyeball like a Walleye. Manufacturer's come up with some very creative ideas for how to hook up throttle linkage, and on antivibe models they get rather hairy.

The basic idea is to keep the vibration off of the handles, but this is done at the expense of making the saw case into a vibration machine. Fatigue of such parts as linkage is not uncommon, especially if the depthgauges on the chain have been overly lowered. Often the linkage runs through a rubber bushing as it leaves the carburetor airbox, in order to absorb some of the shaking. If this bushing is worn out or deteriorated, it could be what caused your failure.

Regards,
Walt Galer

The Offender

I have attached a picture of the offending part. The mechansim is butt-simple but I am thinking I may have to pull the carb to get it back together. Any ideas on where I can get another one of these little do-das locally?

Steve

Its not all that hard to replace that linkage, If I remember correctly I think you can remove the top cover of the handle to access the trigger and trigger spring. I think the carburetor is held on with 2 studs or screws and has a choke slide and a bushing on one side. I remember someone trying to force the throttle linkage on to the carburetor throttle plate and ended up snapping it cause they didn't take the carb off and properly feed the linkage through the plate. (me). Also, try not to rip the gasket under the carb. It's not a standard WA Walbro intake gasket and is a pain to find.

Latest posts

Back