Poulan 2375 upgrades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just for fun I've been working on the 2375 Wild thing to see what I can get out of it. Had a couple of burned up examples given to me, both complete for the most part.
Ordered a new piston/cylinder kit off of Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to see that it is a proper chromed unit with no voids or pits.
The new cylinder has a slightly smaller and more oval shaped intake port, the transfers are very slightly larger from what I can see, and the exhaust is considerably larger at the opening by the piston with much less taper than the stock one. The top of the exhaust port also has a small step in it, perhaps to prevent too much blowdown.

IMG_20221020_160957.jpgIMG_20221020_160814.jpgIMG_20221020_160910.jpgIMG_20221020_160647.jpg

A muffler mod was also done, the horrible stock muffler was taking apart, gutted, and brazed back up. The fold over seam is ground down until you can see the edges of both halves, and after the muffler's pulled apart everything pops out.
Half of the muffler has the flange bent over slightly to give more fill area for the braze. Worked like a charm, very little flowed over.
The stock tubes that reinforce the muffler were cut open with a grinder as you can see. The total area of the cuts are slightly larger then the frontal area of the tube. They simply slide back into the muffler and get bolted up as they were before. The old exhaust exit gets filled, and the stock screw holes get plugged with the screws. Very straightforward mod if you have the required tools.
One word of caution if you are going to do the muffler mod. The mufflers are aluminized and the flange edges must be dipped in muriatic acid to remove the aluminum for proper adhesion of the braze. Do this outside, you'll get some nasty fumes off of it.

IMG_20221017_132848.jpgIMG_20221017_132809.jpgIMG_20221017_132940.jpgIMG_20221006_103630~2.jpg

This will work on the 2375 wild thing and several other non-strato saws with this type of setup, they are pretty easy to work on and the piston and cylinder kit was cheap.

I’ve got a 2375 wind thing out in the shop that’s pretty clean, however some lug over tightened the bar nuts and pulled the bolts part way out of the case. It’s ok for right now, but I have a spare red case I’m thinking about swapping into it, and if I do I’m debating going all out and doing some porting work on it.

We joke about these saws, but they are actually pleasant to work on. A straight forward layout, room to maneuver the cylinder assembly in place, no real difficulties to speak of. Similar in a lot of ways to some older Husqvarna models. Unlike the Stihl ms250 which is another clamshell saw and can be a real pain, one member described it as "like wrestling a cat into a bathtub".

Well it's finished and running. I've had less powerful saws, in particular the Poulan pro 42cc strato version. Really lame in stock setup, this saw will easily outcut it even with the junk chain on it now.
No mods to the aftermarket cylinder other than some intake port matching. Small tansfers means this saw will never be a screamer. However it does have good torque, enough to overpower the clutch if you lean on it too hard.

Noodling some dry spruce. They really are buzz boxes, but it starts fairly easy from cold and runs well considering it only has 10 minutes of run time on it.

now go back on there and widen the intake and exhaust and raise those transfers.

oh and tig weld a pop up on that piston :) she'll be a whole different saw. bigger carb/intake too

I agree I really like these little saws once u mod them.

Latest posts

Back