Poulan 305 Fuel and Pulse Hose routing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellarmine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm having trouble with another of my neighbor's saws, a Poulan 305, black and yellow, 49cc with a Walbro HDA-49 carb. Has a thin 20" bar on it....(!) It has run erratic since we got it, even after a brand new carb kit.

It has 2 fuel hoses, both going into the fuel tank. There is no primer, and no pulse hole in the intake boot. The hose at the side of the carb is the fuel inlet with the in-tank filter. There is another at the top of the carb which I am almost sure is the pump pulse line, and dangles inside the tank.

Something here appears to me to be wrong, how would the fuel pump work this way, is the tank pressurized? The lines have been replaced. If it is indeed wrong how come it starts and runs at all?...??..:^) I appear to see some nubbin thing on the crankcase, have to take more apart to see, is that where the hose is supposed to go?

While it's running I pull the pump pulse line right out of the tank, absolutely no change. Since the new carb kit it now starts pretty well, but after much jockeying of the mixture screws (several turns out each), it either idles and then dies when giving it throttle, or can get it throttled up to full speed and it runs screaming away, but minute you turn down the idle it dies. Every start is different.

Hope you can help me with this head-scratcher. Let me know if you need further info or a photo or two. Thanks and Cheers!~:cheers:

Bellarmine

Impulse line goes from back of crankcase under carb area in tank to top of carb.

The 2 in top of fuel tank. 1 to carb left side other is a tank vent with duckbill inside.
tank attached. Front tank vent one with duck bill just gets tucked behind there af area. Back one goes to left side carb.

c33nosx.jpgc33linee.jpgc33fffffffffff.jpgc33tankvent.jpgc33lineee.jpg
c33xxx.jpg
c33nosliness.jpg

Thank you VERY much RedNeck for helping me out last week with those Poulan 305 photos on the fuel pump pulse hose routing, very helpful I appreciate it! I thought I posted a reply to you last week but it seems to have disappeared......

Anyway, Update: I attached the hose from the top of the carb to the crankcase fitting like you show. I also found the duckbill in the fueltank, so I attached a piece of hose to that for the vent. Now the saw works Perfect - thank you! Beats me how it started and ran at all before with no fuel pump..........

Thanks again RedNeck and Best wishes!~

Bellarmine

Thank you VERY much RedNeck for helping me out last week with those Poulan 305 photos on the fuel pump pulse hose routing, very helpful I appreciate it! I thought I posted a reply to you last week but it seems to have disappeared......

Anyway, Update: I attached the hose from the top of the carb to the crankcase fitting like you show. I also found the duckbill in the fueltank, so I attached a piece of hose to that for the vent. Now the saw works Perfect - thank you! Beats me how it started and ran at all before with no fuel pump..........

Thanks again RedNeck and Best wishes!~

Bellarmine
Older post I know, but that guy knows his stuff.

Back