Poulan 3400 coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up a 3400 for $25. Got it home and realized the coil was missing. Not a big deal. I have a box full of old poulan and homelite coils unfortunately not the exact one I need (39093) but was wondering if anyone had tried with success a different coil? The 2150 coil looks promising but without the right one to compare it's impossible to know without trying.

On a side note I do have some harwal seals that fit. I bought about 20 of them from MRO for $3.73 a piece. Thought that was a good deal. Rockauto is a good place too for the SKF6120 $4.28. Advance has the National 253747 for $3.99.

One other question. The bar has a strange bolt on it. Does anyone know what it is for?

Did a muffler mod while I was farting with it.

Attachments

• KIMG1940.jpg
    KIMG1940.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 2
  • KIMG1942.jpg
    KIMG1942.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 3
  • KIMG1941.jpg
    KIMG1941.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 1
If another coil can be mounted to get the right clearance between the coil and FW and if the ends of the coil legs match up to the magnets on the FW, there's a good chance it will work. Timing might be off. Worth a try.

The funny screw in the bar slot is probably due to someone's attempt to find a way to work around a damaged or missing tensioner device. Probably thinks the chain gets loose because the bar is slipping and has added more clamping force or wants to remove slop in bar grove to prevent bar tip from moving up and down.

I removed the sprocket cover today to replace the seal and now I know what he was trying to do with that bolt on the bar. The cover is broken and he was trying to use the lip of the bolt to sandwich the cover against the bar.:rolleyes:... Guess when my saw budget is renewed I will be on the hunt for a sprocket cover.

The spring on the seal was broken so I bet he turned it into a parts saw when he couldn't get it to tune right.

Latest posts

Back