Poulan 3400 vs 3500 vs Craftsman. 3.7 Thin Ring vs Echo 660EVL, and capability of the 241 as a midsi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 56 to 64cc saw would you keep, if any?

• Poulan 3400 Countervibe

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Poulan 3500 Timbermaster

• Craftsman 3.7 thin ring AKA Poulan 3700?

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Echo CS-660EVL

• Total voters

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
20191102_111944.jpg
3500 not shown, as it's at work. And the 372 at the top represents my current BIG saw, and a keeper.

Thinking about thinning the herd in the mid-size saw category. Just too many in the corral that aren't getting used.
I have a large collection of 40 to 64cc saws that I don't have much into...and don't use much.... and feel like I could move all of them without losing money on any one of them.

And I've been dreaming of adding a BIG saw to finish off my small saw lineup. The target being a new Sthl 241 C-M, that would likely replace the Echo CS-490, Shindaiwa 491s, and Dolmar PS-421, putting those on the chopping block as well.

The Poulan 4900 is likely on it's way out also.

The 3500 has an appeal, being the lightest and thinnest. And likely the best anti-vibe. But possibly the least durable engine.

3400 has sentimental value, as it's been in the family since new. I've used this saw a lot with it's little 16' bar, and it's in good shape. But haven't used the 3500, 3.7, or 660 much to know how the 3400 compares power-wise.

3.7 likely has the best engine, and fairly new yellow chain.

660 is well built and has a new power match bar. But it's a big bulky saw.

I don't cut a ton of firewood. But may need or want to a little more in future years.

The 372 is more powerful. But isn't far and away bigger or heavier than most of this crop, given proper bar selection.
And I don't have much into the 3500, 3.7, or 660.

I really like the look and feel of the little Stihl MS241CM. But haven't ran one to know if it can fill this gap nicely. But intuition tells me that it'd be nice to have in place of the half dozen or so that it might replace.

Is this sound reasoning and a good plan of action in your opinion? Can the 241 reasonably fill the role of the 50cc saws?
And how do I know I'm getting the newer 9.9 pound version of the 241? What year was the change?

If it came down to it, I could probably do without all the saws between my Echo CS-361P and the Husqvarna 372XP. But I like chainsaws, and think a BIG/small saw is a good thing to have.

I run a ported 3.7 some in my rotation. It’s still a respectable saw by today’s standards. I’d think the could make a Canadian 4000 (chain brake) and still play today.

I run a ported 3.7 some in my rotation. It’s still a respectable saw by today’s standards. I’d think the could make a Canadian 4000 (chain brake) and still play today.
I like the 3500 for it's spring anti-vibe. But believe the 3.7 engine is a better design.

Latest posts

Back