Poulan 4000 Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bckimbler99

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but I would like to get information fast, and I'm sure there is someone else out there with my issue.

I have a Poulan Countervibe 4000 with carb issues. Two shops in my area have looked at the saw, and neither could seem to find any carbs or rebuild kits. I would prefer to steer clear of any of the cheap knock off rebuild kits that work once and then make you pull your arm out of socket to no avail (eBay specials.) If anyone knows where I can find a replacement carb or quality kit, I would be very appreciative.

Edit: Mark and Redneck Repair, thank you very much. I have hated having a big paper weight sitting around, I'll get right on ordering a kit now that you've pointed them out.

Take Mark's advice and get the OEM Walbro kit. If your not familiar, dont take the carb apart until you get the kit. The reason is you have to match up the different gaskets to what your carb uses. Not all gaskets in the kit will be used.

I really wasn't giving advice to use a OEM kit. The OP said he wanted a OEM kit, so that's what I pointed out. I would not steer someone away from a OEM kit.

I actually use a lot of AM kits, In fact I prefer them for HL carbs because they come with a needle and seat configuration that's hard to find in a Tillotson kit.

I have not had issues with most AM kits, I did run into one a while back where they had the metal plate and button installed on the wrong side of the metering diaphragm.

I have found the name brand AM kits, like Woody's and Raisman to work as well as the OEM kits.

The round,PacMan shaped gasket is the one that is most difficult for many to match correctly, matching what came out to what is being put back in is the safest way to do the rebuild.

That is true about that gasket. What I see is the biggest HDB issue is that the un experienced will try to set the lever height and bend the "hooks" on lever that goes around the pin. You then have the lever just flopping instead of pivoting on the pin to properly raise the needle.

The pin is not really removable from the plate so you can't easily replace the lever.

The good thing is I have found it rare to need to set the lever height, they are usually spot on.

The only ones I have had any issues with were ones someone else had stripped down and discarded the original gaskets, the carb would not function correctly when reinstalled so they got removed, torn apart and the owner could not figure out what was wrong so they then decide to take it to someone else to figure out. I have seen the loose loose lever a few times. If I am rebuilding one that has not been previously messed with it is easy to just match up the gaskets and leave the lever set where it is most times.

The only ones I have had any issues with were ones someone else had stripped down and discarded the original gaskets, the carb would not function correctly when reinstalled so they got removed, torn apart and the owner could not figure out what was wrong so they then decide to take it to someone else to figure out. I have seen the loose loose lever a few times. If I am rebuilding one that has not been previously messed with it is easy to just match up the gaskets and leave the lever set where it is most times.

I hear ya on fixing someone else's screw ups. Had a friend of a friend not long ago bring me a 445 Rancher he had someone else put a AM top end on and couldn't get to run right. I told him to get that POS out of here I won't have nothing to do with those problems. I got enough of my own stuff to do anyway.

I hear ya on fixing someone else's screw ups. Had a friend of a friend not long ago bring me a 445 Rancher he had someone else put a AM top end on and couldn't get to run right. I told him to get that POS out of here I won't have nothing to do with those problems. I got enough of my own stuff to do anyway.
I will work on PRO chassis saws if someone has been in them and messed up but if its a clammy and been messed with I want nothing to do with them. If they come in just the way they shut down or not messed with Sometimes I will fix them, rather not though. One fellow dropped off one of those red plastic Homelite POS saws, I told him come get it before I use it as a track chock for the 20 excavator, he called my bluff but wasn`t so happy scraping up the busted/squished plastic and metal after the excavator accidentally traveled over it.

Back