Poulan 4000 differences from 3400/3700

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Dryden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone I picked up a couple poulan's and 2 of them were listed as 4000's and the one the tag is worn and you can't tell what it says was wondering if there was any differences in to the 4000 vs 3400/3700 in appearance the 2 that are supposed to be 4000's have a hand guard screwed to the top cove with 2 screws the 3400 has one clamped to the handle bar also one ove the 4000's has a higher top air filter cover and different filter and a all black top sorry for the long post thanks for any info

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_060300874.jpg
    IMG_20220126_060300874.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
Yup. 4000 uses a high top cover & nylon air filter, flat choke pull, hex shaped rear isolators’ rod, plus has a shark gill opening on the right side of the muffler. Not much else differs in appearance if you were to remove the decals/labels. Internally not much different than a 3700 either; the piston, cylinder, flywheel & starter pulley.

I can’t tell the difference cutting with them either, assuming both with sharp chains & opened up muffs.

Hey thanks for the info the one on left has a flat choke pull and hex isolator rod but not the high top cover so I'm assuming it's a 4000 but idk the one on the right is a 3400 I also have a 3.7 craftsman neither of my 4000 have a shark gill on the right side either the mufflers look the same as my 3400 and 3.7 craftsman The craftsman also has the hex iso rod lol Im waiting on fuel line kits for the 4000's but they do fire of with a prime

The 4000 64cc
The 3700 60cc
The 3400 54cc. You can pull the muffler and measure the bore. They all have the same stroke.
The 3400 has two thick rings and a chrome piston and bare cylinder
The 3700 has two thin rings and a bare piston with a chrome cylinder.
The 4000 has two thin rings and a bare piston with a chrome cylinder.

The 3400 will run around 125 to 130 psi typical.
The 3700 will run around 150 to 170 psi typical
The 4000 will run around 150 to 170 psi typical.

The top covers on a 4000 were always black that I know of and never green unless someone swapped them around.
They were always the high cover for the air filter with a high filter inside.
And there is what HotShot said.

You’re welcome. Any of the parts could’ve been swapped around, as old as those series of saws are. They are still great firewood bucking saws.

You can get the service manual copy & parts list copy by asking on the “The Beg for Manuals Thread” sticky thread at the top of the Chainsaw page here.

Poulanpro.com website still has the 3400 owners/user manual pdf posted.

So I’m trying to tune my 3700 and for the life of me I can’t get it to throttle up without it dying in me. It idles fine but when you pull the trigger it’ll just die on me. I did do a complete walbro carburetor rebuild too.

Does it have that phenolic spacer between cylinder and carb? I have two near-free tinkering Craftsman saws I’ve been learning on. Both had massive air leaks. One would run but poorly and with screws WAY open. The phenolic spacer was loose on the cylinder, though carb was snug. The bottom screw that holds spacer to cylinder is tricky to grab without messing up the screw so figure out a way to get at it.

The other saw had a broken phenolic spacer and misaligned gasket that blocked most of the intake.

I have a 3400 that could use rings to bump the compression. She’s getting tired. What would I need to get in order for a 4000 cylinder to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 3400 that could use rings to bump the compression. She’s getting tired. What would I need to get in order for a 4000 cylinder to work?

Need a Piston AND Cylinder... Good luck on the hunt. I looked forever for one to replace my 3400. never could find one at a respectable price. Finally settled on a 3800 that I got parted out for $30. Works great now.. doesn't have the compression that the 4000 would, but much better than my tired ol' 3400

Upon closer inspection I have a 3700 so not all is lost. Maybe I’ll just put some ring in her and keep it as the back up.

Nothing wrong with the 3700. I have a couple of them that I have dropped the cylinders on and did a little port work that will cut right with a 4000.

Good to know. This one is only a back up to my 362 but I want it to run as good as it can.

Found an add for running 4000 on Facebook, near Clarksville TN for $50. I was interested until I looked for a cylinder, just in case it needed one. I'm personally not interested in old saws for which I can no longer get parts. But it's available if anyone is horny for it.

Back