Poulan 5020 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even a new makita 6100 wasn't starting first pull this summer. But it was 38 degrees celcius in the shade, I was cutting 60-70cm diameter beech logs still green but no rotten cores at all. Full sun ,hard wood but still it would start 3-4 pull... Never worried about it...
I wouldn't drill holes in air filter cover if the manufacturer didn't design it that way!

If a 2 stroke chainsaw starts hard ,first thing I would look at is the compression,then spark to the plug ,lastly gasoline in the tank!
Things learned from about 23-25 years ago when I had a Cz-175 motorcycle! 2 stroke of course and made in 1956 (I think...).
Long gone now to a collector guy! Keeps it cleaner then I am 😂🙄
I’ve always been a modifier. I like to tinker and make broken stuff run, and/or run better. An inexpensive, potentially old chainsaw, hell yeah I’ll modify it. My 2021 pickup, probably not. I’ve modified every motorcycle I’ve ever owned. Manufacturers have certain standards that they have to meet. We don’t have to worry about that business. Opening up a restrictive intake is not a bad idea, especially on Poulans. I’m not saying the intake is his problem, I’m just saying the intake mod will help with hot starts. I agree that he should check the basics.

Actually, that was my
I redid the compression after cleaning the release valve on the tester and now I’m getting 120#+
Ok, this is much better. Seeing as it will run on a prime shot through the carb, I suspect you have a carb issue. Like previously mentioned by another poster, it’s possible you damaged the carb by using the rods. I would look at getting a carb kit or just replacing it.

I just reread your post in 2 places now. I will reply to this one with a thought. I wonder if you deformed and or melted anything inside the carb. I know that 5 gal bucket dad had growing up was some eat **** stuff and better be only metal carb stuff.
@huskihl thoughts?

Plus you said you said probed with welding tip cleaner. Might be cheaper to buy a new carb to try instead of the 5 dollar parts to replace. Time wise etc.

Look at carb IPL. These have tiny o-ring deal and check valve. Depending on your = I overnight soaked both carbs in a gallon of carb cleaner.

I just reread your post in 2 places now. I will reply to this one with a thought. I wonder if you deformed and or melted anything inside the carb. I know that 5 gal bucket dad had growing up was some eat **** stuff and better be only metal carb stuff.
@huskihl thoughts?

Plus you said you said probed with welding tip cleaner. Might be cheaper to buy a new carb to try instead of the 5 dollar parts to replace. Time wise etc.

Look at carb IPL. These have tiny o-ring deal and check valve. Depending on your = I overnight soaked both carbs in a gallon of carb cleaner.
Runs and dies on choke, then runs and dies off choke. I’d look at the impulse system.

Back