Poulan deluxe super 25 fuel cap question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, that is my cap. i felt bad asking for a refund, since it came not functioning properly. didn't know what was missing. suppose i have to discover what size duckbill i need. anyone?

i don't think leon likes me now (think soup nazi on seinfeld!). no gas caps for you!

I suppose you never thought about it before hand but let this be a learning experience. Old saws have old rubber parts in them and after 50 years rubber can go bad.

Especially rubber that has been subjected to gas. This goes for crank seals as well.

Truthfully, I have seen new old stock caps with bad duckbill valves in them and just from setting on a shelf.

Nice...I am really not a sandcast poulan guy...now don’t get me wrong I like them and have owned a few.Just can’t imagine feeding the kids that are now feeding their own kids lol with one. Now a guy like @Modifiedmark now he’s the guy that is up on them and has some beautiful poulans. I’ve even had the honor of running a few of his saws in the past at a few different GTG’s with 2 of them being the Poulan Lovers GTG at @OhioGregg. Both guys are top notch diehard Poulan guys. Either way, nice saw!

Sounds like John? Change your user name?

I suppose you never thought about it before hand but let this be a learning experience. Old saws have old rubber parts in them and after 50 years rubber can go bad.

Especially rubber that has been subjected to gas. This goes for crank seals as well.

Truthfully, I have seen new old stock caps with bad duckbill valves in them and just from setting on a shelf.
Yep you need a duckbill. Got an old sd25 and when I rebuilt it the gas cap leaked. Got a dozen for cheap. Put it in with a bic pen barrel. Had that old saw since the 70's never ran after it got hot. Needed a condenser so I chipped it. Runs as good as new.

called local husqvarna store. they do have them, $3 each (plus tax!).

Here is little bit of Poulan S25 tips from experience: Those are very good saws.
I've got two of them S25 Poulans and they are one of my favorite small saws. Almost throwed the first one in the trash, it was fished out of the trash, but the guys on here told me it's a diamond in the rough when I asked about such, so I fixed it and stumbled across another later. They were built back when Poulan made good stuff. (and I'm not a lateer model Poulan fan) Old fuel lines are usually their main problem and the fuel lines are not easily replaced, but you can find You tube videos of such to give you an idea of how to go about repairs. Some S25's have slightly different fuel line routes. Lots of owners manuals and parts lists available on-line to download free. Sears/Craftsman sold few of the S25's re-branded as Craftsman with Sears long model number and were different colors other than dark Green. Later model top handles by Poulan/Craftsman were not of the good quality of the S25's
The vent on that cap is a standard Homelite duckbill. (usually orange or red in color and some duckbills are pricy each at around $6 each for the genuine ones. The bulk ones of 10-20 at this price is China clones and iffy on long life around oil.
Before getting a replacement duckbill you need to very gently and carefully remove that star washer from the cap by gently going around the edge of the washer with something like a o-ring pick. If you break the little plastic hollow tab that the star washer is on you will be SOL, because the duckbill vent has to slip fit over it and the star washer holds the duckbill in place. The Poulan duckbill vents in the cap were black and become gummy and rotten over time and may be pieces of such under the star washer.
Those caps were used on the Poulan S25, S25DA, and S25CVA series. Very good saws built for the long haul, Back in the 70's I think maybe they were priced about same a the Homelite Super EZ's at around $150 back when a dollar was actually a dollar. Green in color, maybe some red. The later versions had electronic ignition.
They had 16 inch bars, light weight and will last forever with just little bit of TLC. I have two of them that I use quite often as trim saws after I get a big tree down.
I even got carrying cases with mine and I carry a extra fuel cap.
Every once in awhile a gas cap will surface on flea bay at a reasonable price. Some are called vintage and priced out of site at around $20 and the duckbill vent area bad/broken or no duckbill inside or the old black gummy one.

You say your vent was spraying gas when running. Normally the gas tank on those does not pressurize and spray. The carbs just sucks gas. If you ever run it completely out of gas it takes lots cranking and full choke usually to get gas to the carb due to the long fuel line, then 1/2 choke when it pops.
Maybe your tank was completely full and gas getting warm and spitting out??????

It's usually worth the effort to keep that little jewel running. You will like it when all is correct. Be careful when installing the top cover and get the choke tab and fuel lines located properly. Check yours and see that dust cannot sneak into the air box under the air filter. You will get the idea when you look for such. I had to cut and make some foam to block off some of the sneaky places for dust to get in around the air box. The old small pieces of foam filter in those places rot and goes away.

Here is little bit of Poulan S25 tips from experience: Those are very good saws.
I've got two of them S25 Poulans and they are one of my favorite small saws. Almost throwed the first one in the trash, it was fished out of the trash, but the guys on here told me it's a diamond in the rough when I asked about such, so I fixed it and stumbled across another later. They were built back when Poulan made good stuff. (and I'm not a lateer model Poulan fan) Old fuel lines are usually their main problem and the fuel lines are not easily replaced, but you can find You tube videos of such to give you an idea of how to go about repairs. Some S25's have slightly different fuel line routes. Lots of owners manuals and parts lists available on-line to download free. Sears/Craftsman sold few of the S25's re-branded as Craftsman with Sears long model number and were different colors other than dark Green. Later model top handles by Poulan/Craftsman were not of the good quality of the S25's
The vent on that cap is a standard Homelite duckbill. (usually orange or red in color and some duckbills are pricy each at around $6 each for the genuine ones. The bulk ones of 10-20 at this price is China clones and iffy on long life around oil.
Before getting a replacement duckbill you need to very gently and carefully remove that star washer from the cap by gently going around the edge of the washer with something like a o-ring pick. If you break the little plastic hollow tab that the star washer is on you will be SOL, because the duckbill vent has to slip fit over it and the star washer holds the duckbill in place. The Poulan duckbill vents in the cap were black and become gummy and rotten over time and may be pieces of such under the star washer.
Those caps were used on the Poulan S25, S25DA, and S25CVA series. Very good saws built for the long haul, Back in the 70's I think maybe they were priced about same a the Homelite Super EZ's at around $150 back when a dollar was actually a dollar. Green in color, maybe some red. The later versions had electronic ignition.
They had 16 inch bars, light weight and will last forever with just little bit of TLC. I have two of them that I use quite often as trim saws after I get a big tree down.
I even got carrying cases with mine and I carry a extra fuel cap.
Every once in awhile a gas cap will surface on flea bay at a reasonable price. Some are called vintage and priced out of site at around $20 and the duckbill vent area bad/broken or no duckbill inside or the old black gummy one.

You say your vent was spraying gas when running. Normally the gas tank on those does not pressurize and spray. The carbs just sucks gas. If you ever run it completely out of gas it takes lots cranking and full choke usually to get gas to the carb due to the long fuel line, then 1/2 choke when it pops.
Maybe your tank was completely full and gas getting warm and spitting out??????

It's usually worth the effort to keep that little jewel running. You will like it when all is correct. Be careful when installing the top cover and get the choke tab and fuel lines located properly. Check yours and see that dust cannot sneak into the air box under the air filter. You will get the idea when you look for such. I had to cut and make some foam to block off some of the sneaky places for dust to get in around the air box. The old small pieces of foam filter in those places rot and goes away.

I'm not going to respond to everything, but I have to respond to your comment about the Homelite duckbill being the same. They are not. They are a bigger diameter and will not fit into the hole in the star washer on that S25 cap. In a pinch I have filed the hole in the star washer out to use the Homelite valve.

I have I think most every version of those saws, except the Poulan Pro versions and I did have those in the past.

I'm not going to respond to everything, but I have to respond to your comment about the Homelite duckbill being the same. They are not. They are a bigger diameter and will not fit into the hole in the star washer on that S25 cap. In a pinch I have filed the hole in the star washer out to use the Homelite valve.

I have I think most every version of those saws, except the Poulan Pro versions and I did have those in the past.
ModifiedMark:
Guess maybe then some of them are a different size. On 4 of my S25 fuel caps I used the same orange Homie duckbills that are used and had in stock for the Homie Super 2's as a gas tank vent and oil line check valve. It required some careful going but the ones I used fit. It was awhile back but what I did was I got the little star washer started over JUST the top larger portion of the Homie duckbill BEFORE I carefully pressed them into place down inside the cap. They have been in use about 4 years with good results. It did require some careful finesse piddling.
I did notice when I was carefully looking at the pictures of the gas caps that would pop up on fleece bay every once in awhile that one size does not fit all of the little Poulans.

I'll keep a heads up in the future about some of them duckbills being a slightly larger OD.

ModifiedMark:
Guess maybe then some of them are a different size. On 4 of my S25 fuel caps I used the same orange Homie duckbills that are used and had in stock for the Homie Super 2's as a gas tank vent and oil line check valve. It required some careful going but the ones I used fit. It was awhile back but what I did was I got the little star washer started over JUST the top larger portion of the Homie duckbill BEFORE I carefully pressed them into place down inside the cap. They have been in use about 4 years with good results. It did require some careful finesse piddling.
I did notice when I was carefully looking at the pictures of the gas caps that would pop up on fleece bay every once in awhile that one size does not fit all of the little Poulans.

I'll keep a heads up in the future about some of them duckbills being a slightly larger OD.

My bad, I forgot to note the most common "red" ones don't fit..

Picked one up

Attachments

• 1F5220D3-F920-45BD-AD64-63D50498F52F.jpeg
    1F5220D3-F920-45BD-AD64-63D50498F52F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Also had already done fuel line. Need to remove the flywheel, and it’s still a pain to thread!

Attachments

• 37BFD46D-A6FC-4082-A485-B56430BA22E9.jpeg
    37BFD46D-A6FC-4082-A485-B56430BA22E9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • FED67AEE-68EA-4B4D-B3AF-1F2DA4E0D9DE.jpeg
    FED67AEE-68EA-4B4D-B3AF-1F2DA4E0D9DE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Saw sure looks clean and low hours.
Keep a heads up about pinching/mashing/restricting the tubing when installing the air box cover and other covers.
Few days after I installed new lines on one of mine it got to starving for fuel, me thinking possible carb issues because the fuel filter when I acquired was laying the the bottom of the fuel tank, but the tygon fuel line was just mashed somewhat under the air box cover.
Have not had any carb issues with mine and my carbs adjust straight forward like they should.
If adjusting the carb keep the H and L jets set at rich side or out on the adjustments.
I think maybe I seen in itty bitty letters the L and H marked on the carb by the jets.
Lots of good stuff to look at in their IPL's. (and then see if the parts are available on-line.
Fleece bay has lots of spare parts surface. (just keep a heads up about inflated prices on fleece bay that uses the term VINTAGE to jack up the prices)
I made allen wrench screnches for mine. I do not use the low kickback chains and them little saws will not choke down with a full bar 16 inch cut when all is correct.
If using roller tipped bars the chain will have to be kept snug (adjusted correctly) or it will jump off, mostly when trimming small stuff.

Also had already done fuel line. Need to remove the flywheel, and it’s still a pain to thread!

There is suppose to be a piece of foam around the throttle linkage where it goes though the handle. It appears yours is missing. You can make one easy enough and it will keep dust and stuff out of the air box.

A little tricky, but got it done.

Attachments

• F219F836-0E5C-4D8B-9F40-75F1298AEBEF.jpeg
    F219F836-0E5C-4D8B-9F40-75F1298AEBEF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 026C140E-D393-4D94-9955-1AD7B7DF53A8.jpeg
    026C140E-D393-4D94-9955-1AD7B7DF53A8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • DDD53B49-B209-467D-8EB1-415A154078CA.jpeg
    DDD53B49-B209-467D-8EB1-415A154078CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
There is suppose to be a piece of foam around the throttle linkage where it goes though the handle. It appears yours is missing. You can make one easy enough and it will keep dust and stuff out of the air box.
Isn’t there also a cut gasket that goes under the carb cover?

No more squirting! Now looking to improve these two dump picks. Both Homelite XL12 models. I believe the blue is a little older and in better shape, except for the eaten chain guard.

Attachments

• D922EF0E-66FD-4E96-BB90-C5CD22605A57.jpeg
    D922EF0E-66FD-4E96-BB90-C5CD22605A57.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8FBAA7A2-8491-416E-B2A3-2CD2ACC61B79.jpeg
    8FBAA7A2-8491-416E-B2A3-2CD2ACC61B79.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
No more squirting! Now looking to improve these two dump picks. Both Homelite XL12 models. I believe the blue is a little older and in better shape, except for the eaten chain guard.
I suspect you will appreciate the Little Poulan a little better after you have floggeed them two sad looking Homies for awhile. (speaking from experience here also);)

Adds new meaning to the term, rode hard and put away wet

I suspect you will appreciate the Little Poulan a little better after you have floggeed them two sad looking Homies for awhile. (speaking from experience here also);)

Adds new meaning to the term, rode hard and put away wet
I like the blue one. I’m sure Leon can find me a nice chain cover (if he will speak to me!). What is the hard line, fuel? Nice tillotson carb. PO put some sort of gunky patch on the soft fuel line 👿.

Attachments

• C332B392-9E70-453C-B230-6A9E3DC1B5A7.jpeg
    C332B392-9E70-453C-B230-6A9E3DC1B5A7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 012C236E-4A89-4267-9348-04C02D38BBEF.jpeg
    012C236E-4A89-4267-9348-04C02D38BBEF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 88BFCD66-E440-490E-BD4F-49BCA3914D37.jpeg
    88BFCD66-E440-490E-BD4F-49BCA3914D37.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 41D90376-FA72-4313-9AA9-04F44A913E7D.jpeg
    41D90376-FA72-4313-9AA9-04F44A913E7D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
And, by the way, here is what the poulan looked like when hesitantly decided to grab it from the trash:

Attachments

• B575092D-D066-474B-B525-9D1934BDD4DA.jpeg
    B575092D-D066-474B-B525-9D1934BDD4DA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 856F1883-C925-4805-BE5D-1BC1D00E87E4.jpeg
    856F1883-C925-4805-BE5D-1BC1D00E87E4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 15C34D95-3432-4460-A92C-D2EE0C9C3D6F.jpeg
    15C34D95-3432-4460-A92C-D2EE0C9C3D6F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • D759E806-ED43-49DC-B434-3899DA2C069D.jpeg
    D759E806-ED43-49DC-B434-3899DA2C069D.jpeg