Poulan hard to pull when starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question for Poulan experts:
My brother has some Poulan saws (waiting on models) he says are extremely hard to pull when starting cold. When it does try to fire, it can rip the starter rope out of your hand. He is surprised the rope does not break. With the plug out, the saw turns over freely. He is getting models for me but this seems pretty rare for smaller saws. I thought they could either be flooded/hydraulic lock or the timing somehow was messed with. The flywheel keys are intact and the crank is not damaged. There is no fuel in the crankcase. The only other thing I could think of is something screwed up in the ignition module. Has anyone seen modules cause something like this?

I’m no Poulan expert, but failed Stihl saw modules will do this, if the low rpm/start retarded timing is no longer working.

Are these the newer plastic body clamshells, or older Poulan saws with removable cylinder?

The way to eliminate the too advanced timing issue ‘kick back’ is to pull it with the plug in & kill switch off or spark plug lead removed.

Sounds more like combustion chamber carbon build up, bad starter pulleys/worn posts, ropes are too short or too small diameter, or even cylinder base gasket deletes (BGD) on early models with marginally designed starters.

A Poulan 5200 with a BGD & new piston rings will bloody your knuckles & bust ropes if you don’t pull the handle like it owes you money!

Another possibility. The crank shaft cannot turnover because of shrapnel inside the combustion chamber, likely caused by a piston snap ring that broke loose. The piston is toast and the cylinder says, "We are done." Surprisingly, the cylinder might still be usable, but the piston and rings are toast.

However, your being able to turn it over with the spark plug removed means that there is likely something else wrong. Remove the pull cord housing and check the flywheel and the gap between it and the coil.

has some Poulan saws

More than one new Polulan and no model numbers furnished.
They are all hard to crank.
I've seen several different things cause this including the person tugging on the rope.

Several good suggestions here.
Try with the spark plug wire off or the ignition switch in off position.
If still hard with the ignition disabled remove the flywheel side plate recoil and turn the flywheel by feel.

With the choke on pull the engine over slowly 1-3 times, just enough to get a drop or two of fuel into the combustion chamber to break the oil film seal and it should become easier to pull over and start. My old poulan did this and it would snatch the starter handle out of your hand unless I pulled it over slow a time or three. I always figured it was from residual oil settling on the piston rings, that saw always had way more power than any 37cc clamshell I have ever seen. Cutting side by side against my buddies husky 450 rancher in the same logs it would finish a few seconds faster, it was hell on your hands though since it lacked any form of antivibe.

My Poulan 5200 is the hardest saw I own to pull over.

85cc saw.
If they do not start easy and do not have a decompression release You have to get mean with them.

I've see some of the smaller saws with around 40cc that crank hard and some different makes with same size engine crank easy.

just bring them up slow to the compression then slightly over, then again then get mean with the rope. If it whips you, go exercise (work out) for awhile and go back when you get stronger.

My brother has some Poulan saws (waiting on models) he says are extremely hard to pull when starting cold. When it does try to fire, it can rip the starter rope out of your hand. He is surprised the rope does not break. With the plug out, the saw turns over freely. He is getting models for me but this seems pretty rare for smaller saws. I thought they could either be flooded/hydraulic lock or the timing somehow was messed with. The flywheel keys are intact and the crank is not damaged. There is no fuel in the crankcase. The only other thing I could think of is something screwed up in the ignition module. Has anyone seen modules cause something like this?
I wudda (wrongly) SWORN otherwise, UNTIL I finally pulled the flywheel, but even MY issue on a saw given to me was FLYWHEEL KEY WAS NOT PROPERLY ALIGNED; flywheel removed/ reinstalled by previous owner= same assembler who had put manual oil pump together wrong and would not work... Much frustration, I shudda known, especially after seeing the oil pump problem.

Take a look at my post Stihl saws kickback on starting might help you out.

Latest posts

Back