Poulan PP338PT Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys, got a question. Has anyone ever had or heard of a sheared flywheel key on a PP338PT? I'm working on one and it's giving me fits.
It came in the other day. Would not start. Totally flooded. Gas running out everywhere. Carb, muffler, plug was soaked, etc. Had not been used for a couple of years.
What I have done so far: Dried it out for over a week. Removed the carb and found the metering diaphragm hard as a rock. (Figured it had metering lever stuck in the open position thus the flooding.) Replaced the carb., all new fuel lines, new plug, new boot. Cleaned the muffler.
Has excellent blue spark. Getting fuel as plug is damp but not soaked.
Compression is 66lb with muffler on and 75lb with muffler off. That should be plenty for this little 33cc.
Not the slightest pop out of this thing. Not even with starting fluid.
I'm leaning towards a sheared flywheel key. Any help will be appreciated as always.
Thanks, OT

Two suggestions: I assume your spark arrestor screen is plugged for sure. And I feel as if your compression is still too low to fire. I know those aren't a high compression piece. But you need 120-130psi of comp. to fire that thing off.

Two suggestions: I assume your spark arrestor screen is plugged for sure. And I feel as if your compression is still too low to fire. I know those aren't a high compression piece. But you need 120-130psi of comp. to fire that thing off.
screen and muffler were cleaned.
Highest compression I can get is 75psi. That's with the muffler off. 66psi with it on. Won't pop with muffler on or off. Thanks for the suggestions though and your probably right about bad compression. Neighbor isn't going to be happy. OT

Once the saws get below 110 psi comp they become hard to start, if they start its very difficult to tune them and won`t hold a tune between cold start up and then warmed up, warmer they get the less compression they have. Power gets so bad its difficult to keep them cutting. Scoring would be my best guess as well, stuck rings if not scored or both.

Thanks everyone. Called the neighbor and he said he is going to buy a new one. He thinks it's a 2007 or maybe a 2010 model and knows it has had plenty of use. He owns an apple orchard. Was hanging in his barn and thought maybe it could be fixed. I tried. lol Thanks again. :) OT

Back