Poulan Pro 4218

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So about four months ago my neighbor brought over his saw. It was the Poulan Pro 4218. He said it would not run. I could have it or dispose of it. He wanted it out of his garage. So after it sitting a couple of months I pulled the carburetor off. To cut to the chase I replaced all three gas lines along with the primer bulb. Added mix and three pulls later it was running. Adjusted the carb as it was way to lean. The muffler next got my attention. How this thing could run at all beyond idle was a surprise. I will add that the piston was spotless. So now with a chisel and a small persuader the baffle blocking the exit port, well it now has a more useful function. So now with the saw running well and also oiling it was time to see if this implement would cut. I did sharpen the Oregon 91 series chain on my Jolly Star. Anyway this saw cuts wood like you not believe. I never owned this brand however it simply cuts great. Way more performance than I ever expected. And it was free. I have about $6 between the gas line and primer bulb. Anyway this was a bit of a surprise. For a cheap saw it is well worth the price. Ken

Well now if you want to get critical. Well excusee me.LOL

Yes and no. For example, the chain brake handle is not the same. The shroud is not the same either

Stihl MS660 Mag, 046 Mag, MS 441C M-tronic, MS361, 036, 028 AV Super, 026 Pro, MS251C, 015L, 010 AV
Makita 6401 with BBK, 520i
Echo CS-670, CS-3900, CS-500 EVL, CS-4500, CS-355T, CS-3400, CS-346
McCulloch ProMac 5700, 610, 3516, Silver Eagle
Husqvarna 61, 257, 353, 350, 51
Poulan 4000, 4218

I have repaired a LOT of these saws and as you have discovered they can be excellent runners with the mods you have made. The usual problem with them is they are purchased at box stores by people who know NOTHING about chainsaws and the factory carb settings are usually too lean so the owner either fries the top end or gives up on them because they don't run right. Being a strato engine the H screw often has to be at least 2 and1/2 turn out, sounds like you got it there.

These have plastic internal transfer port baffles that contact the piston...its wild

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

These have plastic internal transfer port baffles that contact the piston...its wild

How can those baffles last longer than a couple of years of average usage? Maybe that's why these are now judged as throwaway chain saws. We have become a throwaway society. Yes, that is wild and also rather sad. :nofunny:

How can those baffles last longer than a couple of years of average usage? Maybe that's why these are now judged as throwaway chain saws. We have become a throwaway society. Yes, that is wild and also rather sad. :nofunny:

I replaced the cylinder on a husqy 240 and the plastic transfer inserts in the fubared cylinder were actually still good.

I replaced the cylinder on a husqy 240 and the plastic transfer inserts in the fubared cylinder were actually still good.
Likely it was straight gassed and that will destroy the piston and cylinder in 12 minutes or less. The plastic transfer inserts might last a lot longer than 12 minutes. So, they were still intact.

Likely it was straight gassed and that will destroy the piston and cylinder in 12 minutes or less. The plastic transfer inserts might last a lot longer than 12 minutes. So, they were still intact.

This one was dull chain and a little to lean. I mixed the fuel for the saws that day someone else cut rocky stumps with it.

I rebuilt one that was too lean out the box...burnt up in 3 tanks, the baffles were fine but wear there was already evident. Good news is these things will lunch themselves before the plastic wears out. I rebuilt it with an 30 dollar ebay top end and gave it away.

I rebuilt one that was too lean out the box...burnt up in 3 tanks, the baffles were fine but wear there was already evident. Good news is these things will lunch themselves before the plastic wears out. I rebuilt it with an 30 dollar ebay top end and gave it away.

Can these plastic baffles be installed on the wrong side of the cylinder causing low compression? I just rebuilt mine, new carb and all. I couldn’t get it to run, took it to a repair shop and was told it would not run due to low compression.

Can these plastic baffles be installed on the wrong side of the cylinder causing low compression? I just rebuilt mine, new carb and all. I couldn’t get it to run, took it to a repair shop and was told it would not run due to low compression.
I dont think they can. The shop probably just doesn't want to futz with it honestly...these are widely seen as money losers to shops

Can be installed in either side, just not upside down. Transfer covers have nothing to do with compression as compression starts after exhaust port is closed by the piston coming up. Plastic covers will last forever, not so much the top end of the saw unless someone properly tunes it before doing any serious cutting.

Latest posts

Back