Poulan Pro 4218a and P4018wt compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lumbarleft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In the just recent past, but perhaps by coincidence, I have run into several brand new looking Poulan chainsaws at garage sales that had scored cylinders. When I inspect saws that don’t start or shut down shortly after warming up, I usually first confirm the problem by looking into spark plug hole with a bright flashlight to view exhaust side of cylinders, and then confirm by removing the muffler and observing both piston and intake side of cylinders. I prefer visual inspection as compared to trusting in a compression gauge reading. Typically, scoring presented itself in a just one heavy vertical black line etched into the cylinder wall rather than many. I have seen this on both the wild thing models and Poulan Pro with the supposedly better cylinder wall coating. Why they continue to ship these saws to box stores in that lean of a condition is surprising.

Most recently, I watched a You Tube presentation from “Donny Boy” repair videos regarding Poulan chainsaw compression. I was surprised to hear that it was common to get readings around 150 psi. I always had thought that compression was probably much lower on those saws, perhaps 125 psi or less, primarily because they come with the blessing of the manufacturer to run 87 octane ethanol gas with 40:1 premix. The manufacturers already know they are running the carbs too lean because of the EPA, so why not recommend using premium gas to the cool the saw down? Another reason that I always thought compression was lower, is because those saws usually seemed to require skip chains to keep the rpms up in the full power range. I tried full comp chains on Poulan PP4218A models, even with the carburetors tuned properly, and they just didn’t seem to provide the required power to properly pull a full comp chain. I decided to run some compression tests of my own, and was surprised to see that the Donny Boy video was right! I consistently got readings averaging around 150 - 153 psi on several saws, and even got 162 on a brand new Poulan Pro 4218A. Here is my point. If compression is indeed that high, why aren’t they producing more power? Also, why in the world would any manufacturer recommend that it was OK to run 87 octane fuel with these compression numbers? Add a little old fuel with diminished octane levels, and the saw is doomed in the hands of the average homeowner, primarily because they refuse to throw out old gas pre-mix.

As far as the lack of power, I have to believe the problem is due to the muffler back pressure. The muffler deflector sure seems restrictive. I know some people out there have opened up these Poulan mufflers, as there have been some pictures in the past. To anyone who has actually done this on a Poulan, I am curious to what degree or percentage one might expect to see improvement in power? I saw a Blsnelling video running a muffler modified Poulan, and it appeared to really rip. However, that guy is a pro, and he probably ported it as well. I would love to hear your opinions. Also, if you are a chainsaw rebuilder, if you have any insights into the internal design of these Poulan engines that would cause them to produce less power, I would be very interested.

On the two models in the title on this thread they use two similar cylinders (530071884 and 530071885). One is non-plated (530071884) and one is NCC plated (530071885). They can be interchanged as long as you include the matching piston as the NCC piston used in the non NCC cylinder will not fit the NCC cylinder. NCC = Nickel Ceramic Coating

Here is specs on the older version of these saws which new versions seems to be inline with.
COMPRESSION (COLD) BARE / CHROME
36cc/40cc BARE/CHROME 130-150 / 145-165
42cc LE AV/NON AV 125-145 / 125-145

I would not think a single score stripe is lean damage - more likely an object (carbon?) plowing the cylinder wall. Wouldn't lean cause general heating in the area?

Are these the strato engined saws you are looking at? If so they do not need to be set lean to meet emissions like a conventional engine, but of course there will be practical limits. But these carbs are really bad as far as mixture control goes and it must be difficult to set them up at the factory so they're not too rich and still have them be correct wherever/whenever they get run. And then the owner uses old fuel/crap oil/no oil, cuts one branch and lets it sit for 2 years.

I don't really know why some of the strato engined saws have such restrictive mufflers, including these and the GZ4000 saws, when they've got quite advanced strato engines that should greatly reduce scavenging losses and emissions. My assumption is for noise issues.

I have several of the earlier non-strato 42cc Poulans and they easily pull full comp lo pro. They come with skip chain because it is cheap. A muffler mod does help them, but they already have less restrictive mufflers than the new ones. These strato engined versions should have more power yet.

Yeah all saws are lean and run lean mix. Ppl buy them and run em hard before they warm up and wont take it easy on them so they crap out fast. Lots of oil on break inn and richen up high and low end out of the box and they will last a long time. I know my pro 46cc has sucked down more than 10 gallons of fuel and runs great. This was Monday and thats not all of it20150225_171124.jpg

this is one that mastermind was playing with.

In the just recent past, but perhaps by coincidence, I have run into several brand new looking Poulan chainsaws at garage sales that had scored cylinders. When I inspect saws that don’t start or shut down shortly after warming up, I usually first confirm the problem by looking into spark plug hole with a bright flashlight to view exhaust side of cylinders, and then confirm by removing the muffler and observing both piston and intake side of cylinders. I prefer visual inspection as compared to trusting in a compression gauge reading. Typically, scoring presented itself in a just one heavy vertical black line etched into the cylinder wall rather than many. I have seen this on both the wild thing models and Poulan Pro with the supposedly better cylinder wall coating. Why they continue to ship these saws to box stores in that lean of a condition is surprising.

Most recently, I watched a You Tube presentation from “Donny Boy” repair videos regarding Poulan chainsaw compression. I was surprised to hear that it was common to get readings around 150 psi. I always had thought that compression was probably much lower on those saws, perhaps 125 psi or less, primarily because they come with the blessing of the manufacturer to run 87 octane ethanol gas with 40:1 premix. The manufacturers already know they are running the carbs too lean because of the EPA, so why not recommend using premium gas to the cool the saw down? Another reason that I always thought compression was lower, is because those saws usually seemed to require skip chains to keep the rpms up in the full power range. I tried full comp chains on Poulan PP4218A models, even with the carburetors tuned properly, and they just didn’t seem to provide the required power to properly pull a full comp chain. I decided to run some compression tests of my own, and was surprised to see that the Donny Boy video was right! I consistently got readings averaging around 150 - 153 psi on several saws, and even got 162 on a brand new Poulan Pro 4218A. Here is my point. If compression is indeed that high, why aren’t they producing more power? Also, why in the world would any manufacturer recommend that it was OK to run 87 octane fuel with these compression numbers? Add a little old fuel with diminished octane levels, and the saw is doomed in the hands of the average homeowner, primarily because they refuse to throw out old gas pre-mix.

As far as the lack of power, I have to believe the problem is due to the muffler back pressure. The muffler deflector sure seems restrictive. I know some people out there have opened up these Poulan mufflers, as there have been some pictures in the past. To anyone who has actually done this on a Poulan, I am curious to what degree or percentage one might expect to see improvement in power? I saw a Blsnelling video running a muffler modified Poulan, and it appeared to really rip. However, that guy is a pro, and he probably ported it as well. I would love to hear your opinions. Also, if you are a chainsaw rebuilder, if you have any insights into the internal design of these Poulan engines that would cause them to produce less power, I would be very interested.
Well i do know some of the small husky parts will fit poulans but Muff mods go along and timing advance too but i have not touch the timing on my saw. Thats still to come

...As far as the lack of power, I have to believe the problem is due to the muffler back pressure. The muffler deflector sure seems restrictive. I know some people out there have opened up these Poulan mufflers, as there have been some pictures in the past. To anyone who has actually done this on a Poulan, I am curious to what degree or percentage one might expect to see improvement in power? I saw a Blsnelling video running a muffler modified Poulan, and it appeared to really rip. However, that guy is a pro, and he probably ported it as well. I would love to hear your opinions. Also, if you are a chainsaw rebuilder, if you have any insights into the internal design of these Poulan engines that would cause them to produce less power, I would be very interested.

i bought a new-in-the-box, pro 4218 this winter just to do some wrenching and get more experience with startos. out of the box it wouldn't cut warm butter. the muffler, though catless was ridiculously restrictive. trying to get the saw running better by tuning the carb didn't help. there just wasn't a sweet spot. i opened the muffler by enlarging the two microscopic slots that are on the front, beind the spark arrester. that helped but it was still too restricted until i made a spacer to go between the spark arrester screen and the front plate. do a search for recent poulan related threads and you can find fotos of my field mod. another, perhaps simpler, solution would be to drill a big hole in the front of the muffle below the plate but i live in a dry climate and need a spark arrester. after opening the muffler up a bit, i was able to tune the carb. it's no husky 272 but it has the power one would expect for a 42cc saw. i'm waiting to find a muffler from an earlier non-strato saw which is a much better design.

i think the little saw has another design defect. the strato ports are much shorter than i have seen on other saws. usually they are long bent passages that allow more volume to store a charge of fresh air. these are almost direct from the intake above the carb to the ports in the cylinder. i may be wrong but that's my gut feeling.

i wish poulan would use this engine in a top handle.

i bought a new-in-the-box, pro 4218 this winter just to do some wrenching and get more experience with startos. out of the box it wouldn't cut warm butter. the muffler, though catless was ridiculously restrictive. trying to get the saw running better by tuning the carb didn't help. there just wasn't a sweet spot. i opened the muffler by enlarging the two microscopic slots that are on the front, beind the spark arrester. that helped but it was still too restricted until i made a spacer to go between the spark arrester screen and the front plate. do a search for recent poulan related threads and you can find fotos of my field mod. another, perhaps simpler, solution would be to drill a big hole in the front of the muffle below the plate but i live in a dry climate and need a spark arrester. after opening the muffler up a bit, i was able to tune the carb. it's no husky 272 but it has the power one would expect for a 42cc saw. i'm waiting to find a muffler from an earlier non-strato saw which is a much better design.

i think the little saw has another design defect. the strato ports are much shorter than i have seen on other saws. usually they are long bent passages that allow more volume to store a charge of fresh air. these are almost direct from the intake above the carb to the ports in the cylinder. i may be wrong but that's my gut feeling.

i wish poulan would use this engine in a top handle.
I like the top handle idea

To me it sounds like they're just a junk saw that's made as cheaply as possible..

I don't know if I agree with that. I see that the newer Husqvarnas and Stihls are using long transfers, and I'm not sure if that is to increase transfer volume or to place the inlets in the front (or something else), but the original strato GZ4000 has straight transfers at the sides like these. The issue is whether you pull a large enough volume of clear air into the transfers to delay the arrival of the fuel air mix, and I think they do.

Thanks to everyone that took time to reply. I gained some very useful insights from your comments. I have an almost brand new P4018wt laying on my work bench right now. It starts, idles, but will not accelerate very much and then bogs down. I will start with the fuel line, and fuel filter. I suppose I will rebuild the carb right away. Cylinder is pristine and has 153 psi compression. I am going to open the muffler up right away. Why fool around?

Thanks to everyone that took time to reply. I gained some very useful insights from your comments. I have an almost brand new P4018wt laying on my work bench right now. It starts, idles, but will not accelerate very much and then bogs down. I will start with the fuel line, and fuel filter. I suppose I will rebuild the carb right away. Cylinder is pristine and has 153 psi compression. I am going to open the muffler up right away. Why fool around?
Break it inn with 32/1 mix non synthetic 2 cycle oil and dont just piss rev it like crazy. Keep ur engine temp moderate for a few tanks then start leaning it out to run Like crazy and it will last you a long time

Unfortunately those lack A/V and will make your hands numb. There are plenty of A/V versions.

Latest posts

Back