Poulan Pro bars converted to Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranman1951

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings friends....I've got a pile of near new Poulan Pro 4218 saws that I could fix.....but they are hard to sell, and by the time I mess with new fuel lines, carb etc....I'll make 50 cents an hour on... My question. I'm liking working on Huskies, but the ones I pick up powerhead only, on the smaller cc saws aren't cost effective to get running as the price of a new bar and chain puts the cost of the saw too much to sell. I know I've got to drill oiler holes in the top of the Poulan bars and redrill somewhat the mounting holes to mount the Poulan bars on the baby Huskies. Has anyone here done this? any thoughts on the subject? I've got a few 235's and 240's that I could get running and if I could use the near new bars and chains I already have it might be feasible.

I haven't gotten around to drilling the oiler holes yet, but the same bar you mention fit tight on a 543xp as is.

Something else to keep in mind is will those saws efficiently pull the 3/8lp? Guessing it's the 18" bar. I'm not convinced the 543 will pull 18" 3/8lp as good or better than .325, but it's worth trying, especially for limbing/sprouting/stumping, but not much falling.

Put a chainsaw file in the adjuster hole and move it toward the slot for the attachment. I suppose a new hole might be needed depending on the chain length though I have not found a need. Probably just about a mm keeping the front of the opening kind of square with the slot. Drill a new oil input hole staying 3/8 inch or so away from any spot welds. No special bits needed. Depending on the clutch cover the bar oil might escape so I usually fill the unused adjuster hole with a stick epoxy but just a wad of paper towel will work.

041 mount to others.jpg

The more involved side is for Stihl 3005 mount.

Well Humburner was right....the bars and chain were 3/8... I guess I just assumed them to be .325. I guess the next few saws I do will have to be converted to 3/8, LOL. Good thing clutch sprockets are cheap!...I wonder if the Poulan clutches will fit on baby Huskies? The next saw projects I'll try are a couple of 435's I noticed in the part saw pile....burnt pistons, but Farmertec has pistons for $3.43, and the piston/cylinders for $22.31 ...I drilled oiler holes with no problem, and elongated the holes for the tensioner by "rocking " a drill in the hole with the drill press Thanks for the replies and help.

Well Humburner was right....the bars and chain were 3/8... I guess I just assumed them to be .325. I guess the next few saws I do will have to be converted to 3/8, LOL. Good thing clutch sprockets are cheap!...I wonder if the Poulan clutches will fit on baby Huskies? The next saw projects I'll try are a couple of 435's I noticed in the part saw pile....burnt pistons, but Farmertec has pistons for $3.43, and the piston/cylinders for $22.31 ...I drilled oiler holes with no problem, and elongated the holes for the tensioner by "rocking " a drill in the hole with the drill press Thanks for the replies and help.
I have a clutch from a wild thing on my husky 141. Exact same clutch.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Back