Powerhead holding fixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christmas%202010%20168.jpg

Christmas%202010%20167.jpg

Christmas%202010%20170.jpg

Christmas%202010%20172.jpg

Thanks John,..it is still in the development stage , first one I ever built and I like to keep things simple. Once I try it for a half dozen different cylinders that sort of cover from the smallest cc to the largest cc then I may be able to shorten up the cross bolt and mount a knob to turn it.

Pioneerguy600

Thanks John,..it is still in the development stage , first one I ever built and I like to keep things simple. Once I try it for a half dozen different cylinders that sort of cover from the smallest cc to the largest cc then I may be able to shorten up the cross bolt and mount a knob to turn it.

Pioneerguy600

Anything new on this? :popcorn:

Anything new on this? :popcorn:

Did not need much refining for my use , I drilled a couple more holes to allow for a different bolt center spacing for a couple of smaller cylinders , left the cross bolt the same length and added a twist knob to do the tightening and adjusting. Its very simple but it holds the cylinder in any position I need to work on it. I might add an arm/wrist rest at some point but it would likely only work in a few positions, as it is I sit on a high stool and can rest my right elbow on my knees. Some times I just stay working on a porting job for too long at one time.

I have built several in the last few months. Started with a basic angle iron version in bench vise, then Jerry M ball joint design, then used PanAVise with 1 inch tube size (not the smaller 5/8 size), then a RAM mount using the 1.5 ball (not the common 1 inch ball) which I like the best.
Started writing a website article with pics of all and details. Wrote the text over a couple months, I just can't post it and create a decent website.
Can't get the website to work, struggling with computer and software. If anyone has used SERIF (actually a very good simple program) I could sure use help. PM me please. NOT VERY GOOD, I threw the text an a few pics up tonight. The picture lightbox enlargments don't work.

Text here.

Chainsaw Bench Work Fixture

some pics here:

Picture_and_pdf_hosting

The ebay one is not overpriced, for parts and labor.
Of the ones I built, cheapest is the ball joint version, if you can scrounge parts, but it takes the most time.
The other base mount versions were about $75-90 in materials alone. The PanAVise base is about $40, the RAM Mount base is about $40, shaft collars are $5 each. I used 3/4 and 1 inch stainless tubing because that is what I can get from the scrap bin at work for 10 cents a pound. These two were much faster to build, especially with dimensions and known ideas the second time around, and the most versatile. I would recommend the PanaVise version with the two level bench clamp and the second ball on the lower shelf. By far the most versatile.

All used a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 keystock as the upper bracket above bar studs, 1/4 x 1/2 flat as the lower under bar studs. grab the bar mount studs.
The 3/4 inch shaft collars version is the best as it is most adjustable.

kcj

Last edited:
I have a ball turner for my lathe so the ball ones are easy for me to make. I guess you could use an old hitch ball if needed but i hate scrounging parts i can make...Bob

Latest posts

Back