Powerhead holding fixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what i made for my saw i dont know if this is the one you hawe seen .

tante-tur013.jpg

IS THAT THE STUD OUTA AN OLD BALL JOINT? NICE JOB BONDEN!!! I'D REP YA BUT AM FRESH OUT. WILL WHEN I'M RELOADED.:cheers:

Here is my first go at making one of these stands.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If part of the bracket looks like a bicycle fork that is because it is!

I did that because wanted to locate the ball closer to the line of the COG of a saw. This means the ball can be smaller and less locking force will be needed for when the saw is vertical. This bit works well.

However, the ball is too small, so the range of movement is somewhat limited. I'll probably modify this sometime using a bigger ball.

BTW this is a milling saw which is why it has longer bar bolts.

Last edited:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did that because wanted to locate the ball closer to the line of the COG of a saw. This means the ball can be smaller and less locking force will be needed for when the saw is vertical. This bit works well.

However, the ball is too small, so the range of movement is somewhat limited. I'll probably modify this sometime using a bigger ball.

Try your local auto parts store. Pick up a 2 5/16 ball hitch.

Like your idea, just think that handle is going to get in your way. Having seen some of your creations, I'm sure once you get this sorted out, we'll all be wanting to copy your design.

Looking good! Another source for a bigger ball, is a bearing from a piece of heavy equipment... If you have a repair place/dealer nearby... They'll most likely just give you an old ball bearing.

Looking good! Another source for a bigger ball, is a bearing from a piece of heavy equipment... If you have a repair place/dealer nearby... They'll most likely just give you an old ball bearing.

Yep - I already have a range of ball bearings and I did start with the 2" but it looked silly so I went for the 1". I also have a 2 1/2", 1 7/8" and a 1 1/2".

Regarding the "handle", so far it seems to be useful but I will reserve judgement for a while. I can always cut it off if it bugs me.

Yep - I already have a range of ball bearings and I did start with the 2" but it looked silly so I went for the 1". I also have a 2 1/2", 1 7/8" and a 1 1/2".

Regarding the "handle", so far it seems to be useful but I will reserve judgement for a while. I can always cut it off if it bugs me.

Sounds like you're ahead of the game in the "pack-rat" parts department. :cheers:

I'll be copying that real soon! I already have a range of ball bearings in my hot little hands, 1", 1.5", 1.75 and a big 2".

What size is yours?

This one uses a 1 and3/4" ball with a 1 and 1/2" hole cut in the mounting plates, the ball is used mostly for rotation and there is another piece I add on if I want to turn saws 180 deg. for any reason. I will show a pict of it holding a saw in other positions.

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

You guys got me thinking that I need one of these handy dandy fixtures also, and since I got this Dayton to put back together (again!) I thought that I would make one for myself.

I like the designs you guys used, but thought I didn't need the bottom swivel since I would just mount it in my vice, which swivels anyway.

Since the weather here sucked today, I went out to the shop, cracked open a beer, looked in my scrap pile and ended up with this.

Thanks for the ideas.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks good everyone...lots of idea's. Think I have to try Mark's idea...I have an old vice in my scrap pile that will give me the swivel.

This is what i made for my saw i dont know if this is the one you hawe seen .

tante-tur013.jpg

I know its been a long time since this thread has been posted on but a mate has just put a new bottom ball joint onto my van today and I have the old one.
After I get it to bits I think I'll be making a fixture rather like yours.

Cheers for the idea.

Quick and simple is a cheap swivel ball vise and an old chain saw bar cut down to about 10".

Clamp in vise and attach saw.This way you still have a vise to use. And the only tool needed to make it is a hacksaw or cutoff wheel.

I have welding capabilities now but didn't always.

Another idea

I am lacking the welding equipment and experience, so I will be trying another idea. Drum hardware has various kinds of locking ball joints for attaching toms to the rest of the kit. I know my older Tama kit has locking cams to make repositioning a lot easier. If the clamps can handle the weight of a drum plus me wailing on it, I think 12-15lbs of saw powerhead is no problem.

I've attached an image of a similar item to give an idea of the ball and clamp that I'd use to start with. Still not sure about the other parts or how to mount to a base, but that will come with experimentation.

picture.php

My plan is to use one of my older clamps as a test, then find a better clamp and ball system. A workstand has got to be easier than wrestling that darned powerhead loose on the bench...

Last evening on Tzed250`s thread about where he added a piece to his powerhead I mentioned that I too had added a new piece to mine. On mine it is a bolt on fixture to hold my cylinder while grinding out the ports.

Christmas%202010%20160.jpg

Christmas%202010%20163.jpg

Christmas%202010%20164.jpg

Last edited:
Back