Premature bar wear mystery on new MS 661 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
loosen it off when the saw is not in use.:rolleyes:
That's not a thing in any normal environment. I did forget this history and remembered just before we all stopped posting on this thread

*One time, the partner hung a frozen new chain on a stick over the fire while we finished out the day.
Cold bar and smoking hot chain when he changed it.
The next morning he was freaking out how tight his chain was.
It was a 24" Oregon bar and the tip was bent over.. I have cut as cold as -43c. -35c + was not uncommon. I have seen about 1000+ days over the 12 winters that I bothered to travel up north and cut Seismic or beetle control (MPB)

1,000 days ,I talked to thousands of cutter.
Relaxing the chain has never been a conversation. I never heard of it. Not uncommon for someone to take a saw out of a dry room & into the back of a open truck box in a cold snap. (Wind factor involved also) I've done it many times myself but I make sure it's running in the back to climatize the saw. (That's a real thing)

Anyway, keep drinking the cool aid boys.

All of you put some heat into your bar and chain and take a 10 minute break.

And tell me what happens.?

If that chain gets tighter then I will jump in the North Sea on Christmas Day.

From the beginning, I stand by what I say
*When it gets too hot..it gets tight,,after use, it gets loose .

The other conversations are secondly

Now there's crickets

What! people actually finally ran saws that they own?

Sure quiet now.
Cricket
Cricket
Cricket

Talk about backing the wrong horse.

What were the odds in Vegas?

Interesting

I lost interest when it became apparent there was a fundamental lack of understanding of the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

You win. Enjoy your drunken mental gymnastics...

I lost interest when it became apparent there was a fundamental lack of understanding of the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

You win. Enjoy your drunken mental gymnastics...
Go out and do it then Journeyman. You want to be a myth buster? Don't run your mouth. Go do it and report back to us. I just happened to have done do it for 30 yrs pro.
Don't try to take the piss out of me. Come back with something and then you can apologise.

That's right, you can apologise or leave.
On the other spectrum...
I will check myself into a mental ward after I jump into the North Sea on Christmas Day.
Pfffff
F*n engineer

Another fuggin boaster meltdown? Smokescreens for his fraud exposure.

Good times!

That's not a thing in any normal environment. I did forget this history and remembered just before we all stopped posting on this thread

*One time, the partner hung a frozen new chain on a stick over the fire while we finished out the day.
Cold bar and smoking hot chain when he changed it.
The next morning he was freaking out how tight his chain was.
It was a 24" Oregon bar and the tip was bent over.. I have cut as cold as -43c. -35c + was not uncommon. I have seen about 1000+ days over the 12 winters that I bothered to travel up north and cut Seismic or beetle control (MPB)

1,000 days ,I talked to thousands of cutter.
Relaxing the chain has never been a conversation. I never heard of it. Not uncommon for someone to take a saw out of a dry room & into the back of a open truck box in a cold snap. (Wind factor involved also) I've done it many times myself but I make sure it's running in the back to climatize the saw. (That's a real thing)

Anyway, keep drinking the cool aid boys.

From what I'm finding, mild steel expansion coefficient is 0.00000072.

If there was a 1000* difference between the cold and hot temps of the bar and chain, and a 24" bar, that's only roughly 0.05" difference in size.
That's factoring the chain being ~42" long.

I have been running my 661 daily for the last 6 weeks, 10-12 hrs a day & most days the tension chanon my 24" bar is minimal.
It is just barely off the bottom of the bar by 1/16" -1/8" by the time I swap chains a couple hours into the day as the first one dulls.
slightly tighter the next morning.
nothing insane, for the bucking I am doing right now I'm not concerned with the little difference.
Still spins free but against the bar & can be pulled out of the groove in the morning, so no extra crank stress.
I had it get tight on me when I was running about a week ago, so I stopped it quickly to figure out what was wrong... Turns out I filled the bar oil tank with fuel, lol. Quick fix.
Probably cleaned it out a bit anyway.
at least I didn't fill the fuel tank with oil again!!
Haven't done that in awhile...

From what I'm finding, mild steel expansion coefficient is 0.00000072.

If there was a 1000* difference between the cold and hot temps of the bar and chain, and a 24" bar, that's only roughly 0.05" difference in size.
That's factoring the chain being ~42" long.
I just found a coefficient calculator online & plugged in these numbers, 63 cm (bar) 100 C' (temp difference) = 0.816mm growth, double that for the chain & you're looking at 1.6mm growth. Now if you adjust the chain tight while everything is at running temperature the chain will end up trying to be 0.816mm shorter than the bar when everything cools down

Anyone who’s run a saw knows the chain gets looser when in use from normal heat, not tighter. This isn’t something that we need formulas for. The boaster jumped in and showed he don’t know what the hell he’s talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back