Premix fuel OK to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know if the list was us specific but there seems quite a few oils that are rated fc fd and not on the list. Its intresting but I'm wondering why some are missing. And I'm talking good top oil brands not the cheap super market stuff.

I dont know if the list was us specific but there seems quite a few oils that are rated fc fd and not on the list. Its intresting but I'm wondering why some are missing. And I'm talking good top oil brands not the cheap super market stuff.
You have to make sure your viewing the latest list. If it's not on the list then it's never been tested to the standard and or it isn't certified because the certification is lapsed.
If an oil says "meets" it's not certified and has never been tested and the company can't possibly know that it meets the standard because the test engines are proprietary.
There are many oils that claim to meet both JASO FD and NMMA TCW3, which is impossible. So, buyer beware.

You have to make sure your viewing the latest list. If it's not on the list then it's never been tested to the standard and or it isn't certified because the certification is lapsed.
If an oil says "meets" it's not certified and has never been tested and the company can't possibly know that it meets the standard because the test engines are proprietary.
There are many oils that claim to meet both JASO FD and NMMA TCW3, which is

There are many oils that claim to meet both JASO FD and NMMA TCW3, which is impossible.

bwalker, some good infor thanks.
The last year or two I been trying oils and taking cylinder off to see the difference, Husqvarna xp has been good but the cleanest so far has been Putolene mx9. By far the worse oil has been stihl ultra, I used half a bottle and cant see me using any more. Years ago (80's) I used oregon 2t and although at the time I wasnt looking at piston cleanliness I never had any problems with this oil, it was what my local dealer sold and I was using a lot, then the uk in its wisdom changed the fuel to lead free and the fumes would burn your nose. I dont know who makes husqvarna oils but have used both xp and low smoke both ok but this mx9 is some good stuff, not sure if you can get it over with you, it is expensive so if your cutting lots probably think it a waste of money but these days I dont have to worry being retired I only cut for fun, work on saws for fun and on the bad days do nothing (thats not for fun). I only use the fuel that others moan about and it sits in my saws for months, some times years and is as good as when I put it in there and the workshop and myself dont stink of petrol. I'm talking about Aspen and wont preach its benifits because sure as eggs someone will say its expensive and they would never use it. I see so many machines with the same problems all fuel related so now if any saw i work on leave me it is running perfect on Aspen, and they see it running.
interesting thread

bwalker, some good infor thanks.
The last year or two I been trying oils and taking cylinder off to see the difference, Husqvarna xp has been good but the cleanest so far has been Putolene mx9. By far the worse oil has been stihl ultra, I used half a bottle and cant see me using any more. Years ago (80's) I used oregon 2t and although at the time I wasnt looking at piston cleanliness I never had any problems with this oil, it was what my local dealer sold and I was using a lot, then the uk in its wisdom changed the fuel to lead free and the fumes would burn your nose. I dont know who makes husqvarna oils but have used both xp and low smoke both ok but this mx9 is some good stuff, not sure if you can get it over with you, it is expensive so if your cutting lots probably think it a waste of money but these days I dont have to worry being retired I only cut for fun, work on saws for fun and on the bad days do nothing (thats not for fun). I only use the fuel that others moan about and it sits in my saws for months, some times years and is as good as when I put it in there and the workshop and myself dont stink of petrol. I'm talking about Aspen and wont preach its benifits because sure as eggs someone will say its expensive and they would never use it. I see so many machines with the same problems all fuel related so now if any saw i work on leave me it is running perfect on Aspen, and they see it running.
interesting thread
Husky oil has always been higher quality than Stihl and this is going back decades.

Just curious.. why is this? I know FD is a higher standard, but if an oil Meets FD rating, why can't it also meet TCW3?
It's not a matter ofnone being a higher standard than the other at all. The standards are just for different applications.
TCW3 oils are required to be ashless, while JASO FC/FD oils need to have some ash to pass the standard. The base oils are also completely different.

Hello everyone, for years I ran Stihl two-cycle oil in all my equipment. Going back to 1995 or so There used to be more than one type of oil, there was a standard type oil, there was a semi-synthetic, and I think there was a premium blend of two-cycle oil. (I might have part of this mixed up.) I used to run the semi-synthetic oil exclusively right up until Stihl stopped making it. Then I don't remember why, but I began running Husqvarna Two-cycle oil. At the monument I am running their XP+ oil and I have several big cans of their pre-mixed fuel. If I remember correctly both have a JASO-FD rating, the pre-mix burns at a lower temperature, and has plenty of cleaning additives and an • OCTANE RATING: (R+M)/2 METHOD 95. I am no expert when it comes to gasoline, and I am most likely wrong, but I all ways thought that Octane was a measure the fuels resistance to pre-detonation or pre-ignition, witch can destroy an engine in no time.
I think most of the people here at arborsit would agree that Husqvarna makes some of the best chainsaws on Earth, so my way of thinking is since they have been in business for +/- 300 years making one thing or another, that maybe they know what they are doing. If any of their chainsaw or oils were not so good and people's saws were coming apart at the seams, they would not remain in business much longer.
I think that when it comes to two-cycle oil, as long as you use a name brand that's made in the USA, I think you will be ok. I prefer to stay with just one Two-cycle oil and I get my ethanol Free gas from the same gas station. Also, just as important as to which oil to use, you must be diligent when it comes to preventive Maintenace. Clean fuel filter, clean air filter, good and cleaned and gaped spark plug within the correct heat range, and make sure you saw cooling fins are clear of debris, and a sharp chain.

Hello everyone, for years I ran Stihl two-cycle oil in all my equipment. Going back to 1995 or so There used to be more than one type of oil, there was a standard type oil, there was a semi-synthetic, and I think there was a premium blend of two-cycle oil. (I might have part of this mixed up.) I used to run the semi-synthetic oil exclusively right up until Stihl stopped making it. Then I don't remember why, but I began running Husqvarna Two-cycle oil. At the monument I am running their XP+ oil and I have several big cans of their pre-mixed fuel. If I remember correctly both have a JASO-FD rating, the pre-mix burns at a lower temperature, and has plenty of cleaning additives and an • OCTANE RATING: (R+M)/2 METHOD 95. I am no expert when it comes to gasoline, and I am most likely wrong, but I all ways thought that Octane was a measure the fuels resistance to pre-detonation or pre-ignition, witch can destroy an engine in no time.
I think most of the people here at arborsit would agree that Husqvarna makes some of the best chainsaws on Earth, so my way of thinking is since they have been in business for +/- 300 years making one thing or another, that maybe they know what they are doing. If any of their chainsaw or oils were not so good and people's saws were coming apart at the seams, they would not remain in business much longer.
I think that when it comes to two-cycle oil, as long as you use a name brand that's made in the USA, I think you will be ok. I prefer to stay with just one Two-cycle oil and I get my ethanol Free gas from the same gas station. Also, just as important as to which oil to use, you must be diligent when it comes to preventive Maintenace. Clean fuel filter, clean air filter, good and cleaned and gaped spark plug within the correct heat range, and make sure you saw cooling fins are clear of debris, and a sharp chain.
Octane is a measure of a fuels resistance to detonation. There is no such phenomenon as pre detonation and octane does not measure a fuels resistance to pre ignition.
Husky has always sold quality two cycle oils and yes their current products are FD certified.

I have been using the Lucas semi-synthetic 2-cyle oil (10110) available in quart sizes from AutoZone & O'Reilly's for a little over a year now in both my older & newer equipment. I mix at 40:1 and have never had an issue. It is more convenient to have the larger quart sizes available, and those stores are plentiful & easy to shop at. I have looked at the cylinders on some of the equipment after some use & they are not gunked up. the older equipment is Lawn-Boy mowers,Stihl saws, and single stage snow blowers from the 70's to 80's, some that my dad bought new. We use this equipment a lot to manage my dad's property throughout the year.
The pic is some of the older equipment we have.
Eric

I wrote to Lucas a while back about them not being on that list. Here is their reply
"Hello, and thank you for your question. We appreciate your use and interest in our products. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and providing this list for us. The reason for us not being on this specific list would be because our additive package supplier is on this JASO list therefore there is no need for us to be on it as well, for our Semi-Synthetic 2 Cycle. Please be assured that our product does meet the ISO GD and JASO FD specifications. Hope this was helpful and thank you for your support. Have a great weekend!"

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_114700882_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200111_114700882_HDR.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
I have been using the Lucas semi-synthetic 2-cyle oil (10110) available in quart sizes from AutoZone & O'Reilly's for a little over a year now in both my older & newer equipment. I mix at 40:1 and have never had an issue. It is more convenient to have the larger quart sizes available, and those stores are plentiful & easy to shop at. I have looked at the cylinders on some of the equipment after some use & they are not gunked up. the older equipment is Lawn-Boy mowers,Stihl saws, and single stage snow blowers from the 70's to 80's, some that my dad bought new. We use this equipment a lot to manage my dad's property throughout the year.
The pic is some of the older equipment we have.
Eric

I wrote to Lucas a while back about them not being on that list. Here is their reply
"Hello, and thank you for your question. We appreciate your use and interest in our products. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and providing this list for us. The reason for us not being on this specific list would be because our additive package supplier is on this JASO list therefore there is no need for us to be on it as well, for our Semi-Synthetic 2 Cycle. Please be assured that our product does meet the ISO GD and JASO FD specifications. Hope this was helpful and thank you for your support. Have a great weekend!"
That response from Lucas is terrible and no reputable company would respond as such.

Well, it is what it is. Just mentioning that I have had no issues with it.
That is from Lucas customer service. BTW.
Walmart doesn't sell quart size 2-cycle. All I saw some universal or synthetic 2-cycle oil in smaller containers.
The Walmart bar & chain oil is in 2 different sections. Super-Tech in the oil section & Black Max in the garden section. The super-Tech bar & chain is tinted red like ATF.

Well, it is what it is. Just mentioning that I have had no issues with it.
That is from Lucas customer service. BTW.
Walmart doesn't sell quart size 2-cycle. All I saw some universal or synthetic 2-cycle oil in smaller containers.
The Walmart bar & chain oil is in 2 different sections. Super-Tech in the oil section & Black Max in the garden section. The super-Tech bar & chain is tinted red like ATF.
To be clear what I am telling you is that Lucas is lieing to you.
I've never used Lucas oil as I have always viewed them as a Snake Oil company. Others on this board have and have commented that the stuff is garbage. So be aware of that.
It's also not the right type of oil for your Lawnboy.

To be clear what I am telling you is that Lucas is lieing to you.
I've never used Lucas oil as I have always viewed them as a Snake Oil company. Others on this board have and have commented that the stuff is garbage. So be aware of that.
It's also not the right type of oil for your Lawnboy.
Well I've used the Lucas semi-synthetic in my old 460 rancher at 50:1 for 7yrs or so and it still runs as good as new, using the Husqvarna brand 2cyl in the 550 and 572 now just cause I got a pack of em with each saw.. I know the Lucas is a heck of a lot better than the Stihl oil that Stihl trys to get you to buy with their saws as can be seen from a tear down, that Stihl is carbon spark arrestor clogging garbage, the Lucas semi-synthetic on the other hand not bad at all

Regarding the Lawn-Boy's, I understand they call for Lawn-Boy no-ash oil at 32:1 ratio.
It helps to pay attention to the engines. We have a lot of them (over a dozen), and keep about three going at once. My father is cheap, and used the cheapest 2-cycle oil he could find.
The modern low-ash oil mixed at 40:1 does just fine in them. Don't forget, they are approaching 50 years old at this point. I have checked the plugs from time-to-time, and checked the pistons. Everything looks like it burning it normally, and they start on the first pull. Same thing with the old Stihl 015L that gets used frequently as well.
As mentioned, just reporting that I have had good results with the Lucas 2-cycle semi-synthetic , as have others. (It costs a buck a quart more than the cheap one he was using from the local hardware store) (pic is of the three currently running Lawn-Boys, circa 1977-1978 models)

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_121028119.jpg
    IMG_20230604_121028119.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
I happen to agree with bwalker! Definitely the wrong oil for your Lawnboy mower. The 2 cycle oil is formulated differently.
Not all 2 cycle oil is the same and are engineered and blended for specific applications. Two cycle snowblowers and your Lawnboy
mower run around at flat 3400rpm +/- where as chainsaws and the like run at 12500 rpm +/- Toro/ Lawnboy recommend a good
quality TCW3 outboard motor oil if the recommended oil is not available. Does Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna recommend outboard motor oil
as a suitable alternative to their recommended 2 cycle oil? I’m not thinking so! Just a note! Most Lawnboy mowers has a fixed jet non adjustable carburetor designed to run at 32:1. If you can’t tune for a 40:1 mix then the mix is oil lean and fuel rich and most piston and cylinders are NLA I run a 50:1 mix in my Toro R-TEK CCR 3650 with Toro oil and my Lawnboy mower at 32:1 with Lawnboy oil. All my
Stihl,Husqvarna saws,trimmers and leaf blowers get a Jaso FD mixed with premium fuel at a 40:1 and tuned appropriately! Zero issues and no smoke!

Back