Prepping to Clean Up 330 Acres. Advice would be great

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With your experience, you're probably WAY ahead of me on this, but if not I'd order some chokers from a rigging place like Blue Jay Industrial in Hayden Lake ID. Just cutting firewood on a much smaller scale than you, I really like using them...trying to slide chain under a heavy log in thick brush is like trying to stuff a wet noodle up a bobcat's ass.

If I had 330 or 33 acres and looking to reduce fire spread ability, removing deadwood would be a good start. I’d also look at increasing the land’s ability to retain waterfall. Some deep level ditches (on contour lines) dug out, filled with your crap wood, and backfilled with the dirt would go a long way to slow down and retain any hydro on the property. The wood acts like a sponge, and the on contour “terrace” texture will slow water and fire alike. Wet happy trees are harder to burn than dry sad ones.

Come November I can say I've been cutting trees for 50 yrs. Am just now retiring from full time fire mitigation work (been doing that the last 10 yrs), as I turn 70 in a few weeks and want more time off to enjoy the outdoors rather than slaving away there. All my saws are bone stock. I'm happy with their performance. I'm more focused on maintenance, and ensuring that every saw I run is razor sharp and properly adjusted.

I don't doubt that you can get more oomph out of a saw by tinkering with it, but that's either time or money that I'll spend elsewhere. Nothing against the guys who port or run ported saws, just nothing I care to bother with. Every one of my saws rides in its work clothes, pitch-stained and nasty, but will likely out-cut some of the shiny shelf queens I see on this site.

330 acres is quite a project.

I couldn't agree more.

Back