Preset dimensions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE!!
5/32" = 0.156" I think we all have that file...
It works. I filed the holes open and put the chain together.
I needed one more drive link going from the 6 point spur to the 7 point rim (or a bar that needs 1 fewer drive links). I ended up using an old Oregon bar that takes a 56 drive link chain. Problem solved.

Now the next question - The pins on the preset started at 0.100" in diameter. After I got done swaging them to hold the tie strap in place, they measure 0.120" in diameter. There is very little wiggle in that link of the chain - no more than in other links of the chain. Is that wide enough or should I swage them more (ie. bash them with a hammer and flat punch)? I don't want to risk going too far and make the joint too stiff. Is there a trick to this part that would be helpful to know?

You just usin a hammer? I use the peen end of a ball peen. Tight is good but not too tight it won’t move. That’s about as good as I can explain that. The tie strap just shouldn’t wiggle. I have some chains people made for me that have been run a good while. They were so tight that joint never did wear itself free again. So yeah tight but not too tight.

You just usin a hammer? I use the peen end of a ball peen. Tight is good but not too tight it won’t move. That’s about as good as I can explain that. The tie strap just shouldn’t wiggle. I have some chains people made for me that have been run a good while. They were so tight that joint never did wear itself free again. So yeah tight but not too tight.

Yup, just a claw hammer and a 3/8" flat steel punch. To Harbor Freight I go... for a ball peen hammer.

UPDATE!!
5/32" = 0.156" I think we all have that file...
It works. I filed the holes open and put the chain together.
I needed one more drive link going from the 6 point spur to the 7 point rim (or a bar that needs 1 fewer drive links). I ended up using an old Oregon bar that takes a 56 drive link chain. Problem solved.

Now the next question - The pins on the preset started at 0.100" in diameter. After I got done swaging them to hold the tie strap in place, they measure 0.120" in diameter. There is very little wiggle in that link of the chain - no more than in other links of the chain. Is that wide enough or should I swage them more (ie. bash them with a hammer and flat punch)? I don't want to risk going too far and make the joint too stiff. Is there a trick to this part that would be helpful to know?
Bringing up this old post as I have about the same situation. 3/8 LP91 chain and the 3/8 presets from ebay have a larger flange bearing diameter than the hole in the driver. Since its just an old chain that sees some dirt, I'll give the file a go tomorrow.

In general, there are lots of differences in presets. .043, .050 to .058, .063, .080 are 4 common gauges and don't interchange. 1/4 x .043, 1/4 x .050, 3/8LP x .043, 3/8LP x .050, .325 x .043, .325 x .050-.058, .325 x .063, 3/8 x .050-.058, 3/8 x .063, .404 x .063, .404 x .080 are common sizes that should not interchange. Stihl has larger bearing surface, for lack of better term, than any others. Oregon .325 has two lengths, one for 20 series and the other for the 30 series. Oregon 76 series uses a unique preset, old 3/8 chain. Carlton 3/8 Lp has uniquely shaped presets but Oregon will work in a pinch. Most Oregon, Carlton, Windsor, Sabre, Homelite, McCulloch, Echo, Husqvarna chains will work with the Oregon presets. Oregon presets will not work on Stihl chains.

Here's the description in case it helps others, $7.00 for 10 presets and 10 tie straps. If I had bothered to measure my chain bearing diameter, I could have looked elsewhere. But using a 5/32" file took less than 2 mins to fix. Giving thanks to the info in this thread!

• Description

Chainsaw Chain Repair Kits are brand new and high quality. Nice parts, be confidence to buy!
New high quality aftermaket Chainsaw Chain Links - Hardened Steel Master Links
3/8" (0.375") - Low Profile - for 0.050" & 0.058" Chain

3/8" - 0.375" Pitch - LP - 0.050" & 0.058" Gauge
3.96mm - 0.156" hole diameter - see picture

Fits:

Oregon 91 & 91 Series Chain: i.e. 90A/91VG, Stihl, Carlton, Woodland, Husky,

Windsor, and many others
These Links fit the following:

Woodland Type #34LP, 30LP, 30LR
Carlton Type N4C, N1C,
Husqvarna Type #H35, S35, H36, S36
Oregon Type #90 and Type #91
Stihl Type 61P and Type 63P
Windsor Type 43R and Type 50R

Here's the description in case it helps others, $7.00 for 10 presets and 10 tie straps. If I had bothered to measure my chain bearing diameter, I could have looked elsewhere. But using a 5/32" file took less than 2 mins to fix. Giving thanks to the info in this thread!

• Description

Chainsaw Chain Repair Kits are brand new and high quality. Nice parts, be confidence to buy!
New high quality aftermaket Chainsaw Chain Links - Hardened Steel Master Links
3/8" (0.375") - Low Profile - for 0.050" & 0.058" Chain

3/8" - 0.375" Pitch - LP - 0.050" & 0.058" Gauge
3.96mm - 0.156" hole diameter - see picture

Fits:

Oregon 91 & 91 Series Chain: i.e. 90A/91VG, Stihl, Carlton, Woodland, Husky,

Windsor, and many others
These Links fit the following:

Woodland Type #34LP, 30LP, 30LR
Carlton Type N4C, N1C,
Husqvarna Type #H35, S35, H36, S36
Oregon Type #90 and Type #91
Stihl Type 61P and Type 63P
Windsor Type 43R and Type 50R
That description is screwed up. 3/8LP is not even available in .058 gauge. .043 is not interchangeable with .050 on 3/8LP. Stihl and Oregon links do not interchange. This is obvious Chinese crap. Be confidence to buy is another dead give away to not be confident.

That description is screwed up. 3/8LP is not even available in .058 gauge. .043 is not interchangeable with .050 on 3/8LP. Stihl and Oregon links do not interchange. This is obvious Chinese crap. Be confidence to buy is another dead give away to not be confident.
Be confidence that you have a great day.

Latest posts

Back