Price increases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Because of inflation, I have raised my prices across the board on all my firewood and cooking wood. Anyone else raise there prices and why?
For me it was a necessity dew to fuel prices and other price increases like chains oil fuel and the cost of the bags I use for bagged wood.
I went up 20% on everything. Not one person has complained or stopped buying because of it.

I raised my bin price from $60 to $70.That about a 1/4 cord in a bin. I am giving my regulars a 1 time grace when they come for their 1st bin of the year but after that it's $70. Hate to do it to some that are not as well off but if they have to buy heating oil or propane they will have to pay more.

i,m gonna take higher costs on the chin, if i upped 20% my customers would say nothing to my face and pay with a smile, then they would go elsewhere
With the price of natural gas in the UK I don't think you would have a problem bumping it up a bit Frank.

Two years ago I bumped from $225. to $300.
Was not sure that would fly, but it was that or fold.
Still at $300., with $30 delivery.
6% state sales tax included, which is about $18. off the top.
Most everyone is about the same now.
Is there not many others selling near you or are they all getting higher?

Two years ago I bumped from $225. to $300.
Was not sure that would fly, but it was that or fold.
Still at $300., with $30 delivery.
6% state sales tax included, which is about $18. off the top.
Most everyone is about the same now.

We used to have to do sales tx here in PA. Not sure who but someone complained to the powers that be. The reason was that heating oil wasn't taxed so firewood shouldn't be.

Last winter I was charging $600 for Oak and $325 for Pine. Right now Oak is $650 and Pine $400. As soon as the snow starts flying $725 for Oak and Pine $425. My biggest cost is for two reasons one needing to pay more $ for helpers and wood being more difficult to acquire Actually I have found it easier to charge more than before. Thanks

Bar oil was over $20 a gallon at Ace Hardware the other day. I still found it for $7.99 at Rural King, up from $4ish what i payed on sale about a year or so ago when i was stocking up. Let my stock run down so buying more this year. Gas and 2 cycle oil is getting significantly more expensive, food is costing more. I read in the paper today natural gas is going up very significantly, so ya raising my prices also. I sell mostly by 1/3 cord faces, thinking raising it in phases $5 a time as winter advances, probably at least twice depending on supply and demand and other prices of heating fuel and my cost.

We used to have to do sales tx here in PA. Not sure who but someone complained to the powers that be. The reason was that heating oil wasn't taxed so firewood shouldn't be.
I think I am 1 of few in Indiana that is collecting sales tax on wood . Don't know why, farmers I was told were exempt and most other people I know never got bothered about it so don't.

Is there not many others selling near you or are they all getting higher?
There are two tree services that I know of within a mile of me. Not sure of their pricing, but had heard $300. per cord. Quality varies, meaning cut length and split size. I do not see stock piles at their yards, but may have more than one yard that I'm not aware of. A third person clear cut 20 plus acres. His is cut and split in huge piles and was charging $300. a dump trailer. Guessing it was a good cord, but have not seen his trailer loaded by the road this fall. Word is he is putting up storage units on his property.
I do know my customers bought elsewhere last year, as I was not selling firewood, and many have called back and purchased from me again. I cut 16" length on a log deck, split fairly small for handling, good stacking and season one year, some of it covered. It's pretty nice stuff.
Along with 6% sales tax, I use pallets, Posch PackFix and netting, and 6' x 6' covers on the top row of pallets when double stacking. Each of these add up in cost that come off the top. Pallets and covers get reused of course. Covers last two years and UV breaks them down. They tear like toilet paper in the dotted line. Pallets last three or four years if hardwood. Some less due to damaged top boards from initial firewood splits dropping 7' off conveyor.
Delivery is by far the most costly expense. Firewood is supplemental for a tree service and their trucks. For me it again comes right off the top with a dedicated firewood equipment. At $300. plus delivery, I'm not making much.

There are two tree services that I know of within a mile of me. Not sure of their pricing, but had heard $300. per cord. Quality varies, meaning cut length and split size. I do not see stock piles at their yards, but may have more than one yard that I'm not aware of. A third person clear cut 20 plus acres. His is cut and split in huge piles and was charging $300. a dump trailer. Guessing it was a good cord, but have not seen his trailer loaded by the road this fall. Word is he is putting up storage units on his property.
I do know my customers bought elsewhere last year, as I was not selling firewood, and many have called back and purchased from me again. I cut 16" length on a log deck, split fairly small for handling, good stacking and season one year, some of it covered. It's pretty nice stuff.
Along with 6% sales tax, I use pallets, Posch PackFix and netting, and 6' x 6' covers on the top row of pallets when double stacking. Each of these add up in cost that come off the top. Pallets and covers get reused of course. Covers last two years and UV breaks them down. They tear like toilet paper in the dotted line. Pallets last three or four years if hardwood. Some less due to damaged top boards from initial firewood splits dropping 7' off conveyor.
Delivery is by far the most costly expense. Firewood is supplemental for a tree service and their trucks. For me it again comes right off the top with a dedicated firewood equipment. At $300. plus delivery, I'm not making much.
They are saying heating costs will go higher this winter ,dont sell all out early.

They are saying heating costs will go higher this winter ,dont sell all out early.
l5.JPG

Mr. B wants to help by closing line 5 that supplies gas/oil from Western Can to Eastern Canada; trunk lines extend down into Mi.

This will hurt Canada too

The one guy that used to sell oak firewood for $330 a cord hasn't advertised lately.
There is a guy in a small town about 8 miles due East that will sell a small bundle for $7-$8.00.,
looks like the gas station variety

Maybe firewood poachers will make a comeback

Latest posts

Back