Price increases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. It won't hurt Canada in the long run.

The biggest problem Canada has right now is the degree of dependence of trade with the U.S.

Right now, if the U.S. collapses into anarchy and civil war (quite likely, watching the present news...) it drags Canada down with it.

Were I Justin Trudeau, I'd be doing everything in my power to decrease trade with the U.S.
We'll see what happens when US tries to pass the new EV tax bill.
It will kill Canadian and most of the US Auto manufacturing though.
Building EVs is also dependent on Canada as we have all the natural resources needed to build them.

What do you guys sell face cords of mixed wood for? Probly an equal mix of popple ash oak maple? Thanks. Looking for next year to get money up for saw fever.
You need to know the local market in your area. Heck, even in the same area wood can be double in price from the 1/2 ton load guy to someone trying to actually make some $$ at it. Big difference from a saturated area to a guy like Ted.

I have been thinking that our Southern California mountains would have a higher price demand than elsewhere in the country. Not true Oak has been commonly sold for $650 here. Through out the US and Canada prices have gone up in most or many cases a $100 in the last year. So far my prices in the mountains has only increased $50 per cord. I expect when we get a layer of snow and cool weather I will increase $150 more or possibly $250 more. I have many friends from the Midwest to the East coast saying they are getting up to $850 for a standard cord. I am a bit envious. I think this is very reasonable considering what a seller goes through to offer a decent product. Thanks

I have been thinking that our Southern California mountains would have a higher price demand than elsewhere in the country. Not true Oak has been commonly sold for $650 here. Through out the US and Canada prices have gone up in most or many cases a $100 in the last year. So far my prices in the mountains has only increased $50 per cord. I expect when we get a layer of snow and cool weather I will increase $150 more or possibly $250 more. I have many friends from the Midwest to the East coast saying they are getting up to $850 for a standard cord. I am a bit envious. I think this is very reasonable considering what a seller goes through to offer a decent product. Thanks
Where on the East coast NYC?

Price has stayed at $350 a seasoned cord around here as it has been for quite some time. I've delivered to all my regulars, many were clearly curious about a price increase but I didn't. I cut more than normal last winter and have at least 10 cord remaining and trying decide what to do. Usually, I will just sit on it til next year or deliver in the winter to regular customers who have burned more than expected. If the price moves up I'd advertise and sell it. It's crazy, kiln dried is getting $450 a cord, I need a kiln or at least a container to call a kiln. We've seen alot of crappy kiln dried wood in the area lately. Maybe I'll load the wood in the dump trailer, put a pool solar cover over it and mark it up.

That’s local pricing. It varies greatly. Here, seasoned firewood( mostly oak) is $250 a full cord in fall and winter. Every once in a while somebody tries for $275-300 and nothing happens. Come spring that same wood goes for $200 so the tree guys have room for next year’s production.

How many face cord is in a "full cord" for sure? I've always had 2 measurements: pulp cord for length wood 4' x 4' x 8', and a face cord (rick, fireplace cord) for cut split wood 4' x 8' x 16". Sure would like to know what's going for $800 out east and $650 out west. 😁 Around here (Northern Lower MI) pulp cord wood is around $100 and a face cord is $65 - $85, both delivered within 20 miles give or take, and usually mixed hardwood. Really would like to see how a "full cord" is measured once cut and stacked.

How many face cord is in a "full cord" for sure? I've always had 2 measurements: pulp cord for length wood 4' x 4' x 8', and a face cord (rick, fireplace cord) for cut split wood 4' x 8' x 16". Sure would like to know what's going for $800 out east and $650 out west. 😁 Around here (Northern Lower MI) pulp cord wood is around $100 and a face cord is $65 - $85, both delivered within 20 miles give or take, and usually mixed hardwood. Really would like to see how a "full cord" is measured once cut and stacked.
This is what a "full cord" of wood looks like stacked in my trailer
The term "cord" defines a measurement of volume = 128 cubic feet, no mater how you stack it dimensionally.
PXL_20210327_212513477.jpg
PXL_20211112_231319203.jpgPXL_20211112_231401962.jpg

I know a cord is 128 cu ft. My question is this, is that wood stacked at some point (like in your trailer) or does the seller take the 3 yard bucket on a front end loader and make a little more than 1.5 full buckets? 128 cu ft volume of unstacked wood, is a fair bit less that 128 ft of stacked wood If you're saying you go by volume only.

I know a cord is 128 cu ft. My question is this, is that wood stacked at some point (like in your trailer) or does the seller take the 3 yard bucket on a front end loader and make a little more than 1.5 full buckets? 128 cu ft volume of unstacked wood, is a fair bit less that 128 ft of stacked wood If you're saying you go by volume only.
Yes, a piled cord is quite a bit less wood than a stacked cord. Anybody who buys wood should be asking this question. And to answer the OP, no, I have not raised prices this year. I sell a stacked cord of wood for $425.00 delivered
One more way to put it. Say you have a dump trailer that's 2'h x 6'w x 16'l. Throw the pieces in till its full to the top and by volume, you have 1.5 cord. The poor sucker who then stacks it @ his house, will then find out he doesn't have 1.5 cord. 😀
Yes, exactly! it's a "cord" no matter how you stack or pile it, if it fills a volume of 128 Cu.Ft.
I find that many people really don't know, just how much wood there is in a cord of wood. Many times I have arrived at a customers house and they are shocked at the amount of wood on the ground after it's dumped.

128 cu ft volume of unstacked wood, is a fair bit less that 128 ft of stacked wood If you're saying you go by volume only.

Yes, exactly! it's a "cord" no matter how you stack or pile it, if it fills a volume of 128 Cu.Ft.
Definition of a cord includes the words "128 cu. ft." and "tightly stacked".
A loose pile with a volume of 128 cu. ft. is not actually a cord of firewood.
I would go further and say a cord with the ends cross stacked at each end is not a full cord. The two ends, if stacking 16" lengths, would equal 32" of a 96" row (assuming three rows, 4' high x 8' long), or 1/3 of the row loosely stacked.

Price has stayed at $350 a seasoned cord around here as it has been for quite some time. I've delivered to all my regulars, many were clearly curious about a price increase but I didn't. I cut more than normal last winter and have at least 10 cord remaining and trying decide what to do. Usually, I will just sit on it til next year or deliver in the winter to regular customers who have burned more than expected. If the price moves up I'd advertise and sell it. It's crazy, kiln dried is getting $450 a cord, I need a kiln or at least a container to call a kiln. We've seen alot of crappy kiln dried wood in the area lately. Maybe I'll load the wood in the dump trailer, put a pool solar cover over it and mark it up.
Do it and no one will notice or care if your wood is dry. Do it anyhow to dry your wood better. How many customers have moisture meters?

Because of inflation, I have raised my prices across the board on all my firewood and cooking wood. Anyone else raise there prices and why?
For me it was a necessity dew to fuel prices and other price increases like chains oil fuel and the cost of the bags I use for bagged wood.
I went up 20% on everything. Not one person has complained or stopped buying because of it.
I went up 15% to cover costs and buying power of profits. But I should have done more. I’m all of a month behind right now, can’t get people taken care of. Working so many hours my wife is pissed off. I tried to give a guy a 4 cord job for 100% of the money and he wouldn’t take it. It’s more than he usually sells wood for and would be picked up no delivery. People aren’t working. I’m gonna have to go up an other $50 because I can’t stand to be so far behind. Makes it hard to sleep.

Latest posts

Back