Prince LS-3000-1 control valve leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spidyymannn8

Reaction score
I need some help figuring out which seal has failed or if it is the control valve itself has failed. I am new to this forum as well as to hydraulics & log splitters. Last year I was gifted a homemade log splitter that did not run all that well. I purchased a new motor [Ironton 208CC OHV], new 2-stage pump [GRH 13gpm]. Everything was going great for about a total of 3-4 hours throughout 3 days. Then all of a sudden the oil filter failed [towards the top ring of the filter] which was shooting oil everywhere. Purchased a new filter and installed it but on the 3rd pull it failed in the exact same way, come to find out that the check valve failed inside the filter head housing. Replaced the filter head assembly with a new filter. Started it up and was moving the cylinder back & forth a few times and noticed that there was oil leaking out the control valve end plate opposite of the handle. The valve is a prince LS-3000-1, while extended the cylinder it would leak and on the return stroke when the detent would spring back to neutral it would spit out oil a good couple inches. From my research it seems to be a seal/o-ring that has failed but with my limited experience/knowledge of hydraulics & etc. I feel I need some guidance. I have already disassembled the valve spool. The thing I am confused on is how is oil leaking out from the spot it is which is from the area with the end plate and snap ring. I know there is a seal kit available to replace all the seals but is that gonna be the best route? Also why did the pressure relief not work before blowing up the oil filter or did that happen because the check valve failed?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20211201-112744.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211201-112744.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 12
  • VideoCapture_20211201-112756.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211201-112756.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211127_163302.jpg
    20211127_163302.jpg
    965.4 KB · Views: 11
  • LS3000InstS (1).pdf
    286.7 KB · Views: 1
Is the filter head installed in the correct direction? I’ve seen that more than once. Bypasslief (what you called the check) doesn’t work if the filter is going the wrong direction. If the check failed to bypass and the filter was plugged it would cause the return line pressure will be very high and it could’ve blown the seals in the valve. The pressure ports have no seals, only tight spool fits. The ends of the spool have seals from tank ports pressure out to atmospheric pressure. . If I recall correctly, a Prince 3000 has a lip seal on one end and O-ring in the other end and you have to pull the spool out one direction and put it back in from the other end because of the direction of the lip seal. you’ll have to look at the instructions to know which direction.

Okay everyone.... so I just finished up rebuilding most of my gifted log splitter. The only thing that is still on it would be the frame, cylinder & valve. I just finished up installing a new 5 gallon reservoir, hoses/fittings, return line, suction strainer. I previously Put a motor, pump, pump Mount & lovejoys. So the control valve Is still doing the same thing as before, when extending the cylinder it will slowly leak out but on the return stroke when it hits off of the detent it spits oil out. It did not do this as bad yesterday with leaking from the end [opposite of handle] control valve. It's worse today, I just finished installing all new parts [Thurs 12/29] after welding up a bunch to be able to set the stuff. I tested it last night and ran it for 5 minutes which I bleeded the System 1st, before I tested it on a couple logs. Then I notice that there is a whining noise coming from the rear of the reservoir or pump area, I can't really tell but when You put your ear up to the reservoir it is pretty loud.
I do not know what to do.... Can someone please give me some thoughts to work with. Pertaining to the oil filter housing and direction. I believe I have it installed correctly with the arrow pointing to the tank. I will attach pictures or second thought... how do I attach pics?

I'm no pro and it's hard to tell from your pics but it looks like your filter is on the correct way. These pictures might help you. You could also just bypass the filter for testing.
Appreciate the help, I ordered a new control valve & hoping that will silence the noise I hear. Yes the filter is on the correct way.

Back