Problem tree branch on Hackberry tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to forums in general, but I am looking for advice on removing a limb from my hackberry tree. The limb is only about 4 feet off the ground. Problem is that it is growing pallel to the trunk and contacting the trunk of tree for about 2 feet. I have noticed that it is rubbing against and damaging the trunk. Let me see if I can attach a couple of pictures for clarification. Worried about damaging the tree because a power line runs through the top. Not touching any limb though.

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_150039448.jpg
    IMG_20230205_150039448.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230205_150028354.jpg
    IMG_20230205_150028354.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230205_150018339.jpg
    IMG_20230205_150018339.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230205_150009907.jpg
    IMG_20230205_150009907.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Does anyone know how to remove a branch like this one? I looked through similar threads but didn't see one quite like this. No room to get a chainsaw or hand saw between the branch and trunk.

Thank you Seachaser. I am not sure what "plunge cut" is but I will Google it. Thanks for the tip.

Hello, I am new to forums in general, but I am looking for advice on removing a limb from my hackberry tree. The limb is only about 4 feet off the ground. Problem is that it is growing pallel to the trunk and contacting the trunk of tree for about 2 feet. I have noticed that it is rubbing against and damaging the trunk. Let me see if I can attach a couple of pictures for clarification. Worried about damaging the tree because a power line runs through the top. Not touching any limb though.
Use a pole saw from the ground to reduce some of the top weight and length. Rinse and repeat till most is down. Then just cut what’s left in sm sections Via chainsaw. You may need a small wedge .

I might reduce the branch for 1-3 years first. Take off one of its forks. Next year, shorten the leader on the remaining branch back to a smaller limb. It appears unlikely to form a better attachment with these procedures. But this will slow its growth down in relation to the trunk. The wound should then be less. I believe hackberries are known as poor at compartmentalizing wounds, and taking the limb now might produce a bigger wound. Not sure how much the tree is growing, however.

Actually, if the power line is running through the tree, I am surprised that the electric company hasn't already destroyed the tree beyond any recognition. Most are very good at that. Maybe because it's a hack berry. They're favorites are Walnut and Oak to whack on. lmao, Just my humble opinion. OT :cool:

I might reduce the branch for 1-3 years first. Take off one of its forks. Next year, shorten the leader on the remaining branch back to a smaller limb. It appears unlikely to form a better attachment with these procedures. But this will slow its growth down in relation to the trunk. The wound should then be less. I believe hackberries are known as poor at compartmentalizing wounds, and taking the limb now might produce a bigger wound. Not sure how much the tree is growing, however.
Thank you for the reply. Sounds very sensible. I will do that. Kind of a beginner at trimming trees and this one had me worried because of the proximity of the power line and only about 10 yards from the house. Again, thanks you Mossy

Back