problem with a re-build on Husqvarna 181se / 181 Crankshaft journal bearing replacement size - 288xp related

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello,
I have had a Husqvarna 181se sitting in a box for years waiting for a re-build because the flywheel's crank case side had a crack

so I purchased a good looking crank case half a while ago on Ebay from a 181
and today I split the case and popped in a new bearing (181 - 288xp size)
found out after I put the case halves together
that the crankshaft on this saw has a smaller flywheel journal size

checking the old case half I now see the old bearing is quite a bit smaller (both outer and inner)

now I have a case half that has the larger 288xp size bearing
but it needs a bearing with a smaller inner for the smaller crank journal that it has

is there a bearing and seal available to do this?
(a newer ( I assume) case half bearing outer size to fit the older smaller Crank size)
if so, does anyone know the part numbers?

I know you said the you purchased a 181SE case half but do the IPL's reflect that difference with the 181SE's or is the larger case half for the 288XP?

I'll take a look tomorrow when I get to the shop, pretty sure I have a 181SE case out there someplace. Will look at it and measure the diameter of the flywheel end of the crank. What does the one you have measure?....

I know you said the you purchased a 181SE case half but do the IPL's reflect that difference with the 181SE's or is the larger case half for the 288XP?

I'll take a look tomorrow when I get to the shop, pretty sure I have a 181SE case out there someplace. Will look at it and measure the diameter of the flywheel end of the crank. What does the one you have measure?....
Pre-1983, that 181 came with a smaller FW crank&smaller seal

the saw I am working on has a 1982 case (small bearing on flywheel)
the replacement case half is is from a 1983 saw

so apparently between 82 and 83 they increased
the crankshaft's flywheel side diameter
and and they changed the case to a larger diameter bearing

it's funny that both case halves have the same part numbers ( 5018 005 v1 )
it's looking like the easiest solution now is to just replace the crank

does anyone have a full wrap handle laying around for this saw? or a 288xp
if so I am interested !

has anyone tried to modify a full wrap from a 395xp to fit a 288xp ?
(the handles looks similar)

I might still have a full wrap, but I'd have to check.

I also have other 181/281 stuff for sale a page or two in under chainsaw parts at the trading post, though some is spoken for.

Latest posts

Back