Problems again with my MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorganE95

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I finally got my 391 rebuilt and after realizing my mistake of installing the piston on backwards, and somehow managing to still get it to fire and even cut wood. Still a mystery to me on how that's possible. But nonetheless. Once I flipped the piston back around the saw worked better than it ever has, even before the whole rebuild. But.... I let a worker of mine use it and he failed to see a piece of paracord that was in and amongst this pile of branches we were sawing up to load in the trailer. And when he hit the paracord. There was a pop noise and the thing died. And then after further inspection the clutch had popped a spring and one of those bracket things on the clutch. Luckily for me, (so I thought), I had another 391 clutch laying around so I cleaned it up and then installed it. Thinking that would solve the problem. But no luck. Cause now. No matter how much I try and I can not get this thing tuned in. And pretty much the symptoms consist of,

no start or idle with the brake engaged.

Start but rough idle and almost immediate stall if you aren't pulling the throttle all the way

And then if you do give it full throttle and it kinda gets warmed up. It will idle for a second but then stalls out. And pretty much as long as the saw is running the chain must be spinning. The moment the chain stops it stalls. Even after adjusting the carb, and making sure my Chain tension is correct.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Back