problems with new Hitch Hiker.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know. I didn't put my saddle on today. Tomorrow will be it's maiden voyage up a tree. But, just a little tug on that green line and up it goes. I made a web x chest harness this evening with a beer knot so I can still adjust it. I know in Smokey's vids he just uses an witty bitty caribiner to advance his. And it looks pretty slick

On a sadder note. I stuck a spur into my nice new 7/16 static yesterday and when I inspected it today I didn't like the look of it. So, now I have a 70' and an 80' hank of 7/16 Samson Static Kern. Which really isn't the end of the world as I've been wanting a line about that length for a lot of my work.

At this point the rope climbing is still borderline (playing, with a purpose) .
But there are some trees I want to leave some limbs on. So. All this money and time. , but it keeps me from getting bored. And there really are times when hanging from a rope may be safer.
People may not understand just how tenacious our coastal forest is. They say cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast. Well if they do they can shade themselves under a cottonwood tree because I'm sure they can too. :msp_rolleyes:

Maybe, ( Spurs R Us Tree Service)

Oh ya. Now see, if I had trees like that to climb of course I wouldn't use spurs unless I had to. Those are rope climbing dreams. Mine are, well. Now, on some of the spruce that I'm side trimming I stand on limbs some. But others I don't.
I'm hoping the HH greatly improves my rope climbing. That will speed up my side trimming. The Big Shot really helps. That thing Really bullets a bag. . .

Well. I used it this morning to come down out of a tree. I limbclimbed up to my.tip used a Swabish that I got tied correctly with a hitch tender pulley and my flip line so I was all safetied up when cutting limbs. Then rigged the HH and came down on it Ddrt. It is smooth and secure. .

The Big Shot is worth it's weight in gold. I'm not so sure about the Hitch Hiker; What's that dog bone made out of?

I'm pretty sure it's made from steel. The base/ troth of it is aluminum and the sides are steel.
I found out that 8 wraps is too much. But it still worked. But it was some work advancing it.
It advances real good with 6 wraps just grab the running side and zip.

Obviously you've never seen me come down a rope. Ya know that saying low and slow. , well I come down real slow. But, As I was feeling like hammered crap this morning I stayed at camp and rested up. This afternoon I worked on tiring the hh . I think I got er.
7 wraps. I got it so tight that I had the dog bone sucked up jamming the climbing line and I had to slack the knot off some. It doesn't zing up the line effortlessly. But it goes up nicely and it grabs the 7/16 static instantly.

I see one problem. Your line needs to run through the beiner.

Anyway make sure the orange part faces you. On long descents make sure the orange part doesn't touch you skin. Youll have a nice HH scar like my self.

Like someone else said. Set yr knot and re tie. You may find the 6 wrap works better. After a while you may not need to do that.

When I'm climbing with it the line is on the.other side of the biner but it is still under the biner in the troth. I havent used it today as I have done take downs and I tied a Swabish on the static instead. Its just an extra, extra when I'm blocking.one down.

Thanks for the heads up on not touching the orange part on long descents. . Duly noted.

SGB. I second the Rock Exotica swivels !!!!!!
I think I'll try one of their swivel pulleys on my rope bridge. I'm just curious how fool pruf the lock up is. I use a CMI pulley on my rope bridge and its pretty idiot pruf. But if I don't use 2 biners it twists. I spose a revolver caribiner would work on the bridge also.

I think it would. I use a mickey mouse micro on my bridge. I have lots of movement, but I think a swivel would be even better. I also wonder about the lock up tho. Reason I have not bought one yet.

Can't say it's ever stuck on me but I don't use it much. I wish I would of got a mechanical device like a unicender or akimbo... I only use the HH2 for tall tree's I'm not spiking. I was getting stuck on my foot or knee ascender while waiting for the HH to grab at first. The above tips on tightening the prussic cord made it useable for me. I'm still drt w/ a hitch climber pulley/prussic for working in the tree/canopy. Occasionally I'll use a friction saver if I'm gonna use the tip for a while but usually just through a crotch/over a limb. All in all tho it's what u like and the HH2 will get the job done.

Back