problems with new Hitch Hiker.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
So I got my HH Monday and I've tried it 4 times and for some reason it is really variable in whether it grabs the rope or not

I've tried it on 7/16 Samson Static Kern and ArborPlex. I make the hitch as tight as I can. It will grab 3 out of 4 times. But that absolutely won't do.

Is there some magic rope I'm supposed to be using??

At this point I'm about to give up on it as I don't have any confidence in it.
And I'm getting more p!$$30 @ Petzl for not making the zigzag right the first time. . I'de be hikin along having a great time with the zz if they hadn't screwed it up making it too light weight.
Those french are too skinny, don't they have McDonalds in France.

Tramp dont give up on it.... when I bought my first bee-line and tried the vt I was having the same problem wouldnt bite to save my life I just kept working it and working it grabs like a champ now.. I hung my 1/2" climb line in my garage and tied the vt and roughed it up and down the rope untied and retied and roughed it up again.. I was scared it wouldnt bite when I really needed it to...just keep playing with it.

I am thinking of trying some 3/8 Tenex on it. And ordering some IceTail for it. That stuff is pretty limber but strong and heat resistant.

Wasn't a great day today. In this heat I can't seem to get past 5 trees side trimmed along the HV line to Glennallen. And I kinda spurred my new climbing rope :eek:uttahere2::sweat3::too_sad:

This is why I stay away from all these new gadgets. Seems the yare always trying to figure out how to skin a cat different. I don't trust this stuff. Give me a prusik and a couple biners. I climbed on a blakes till a couple years ago, wildthing showed me his set up with the swabish and I switched. Tried a few of these gadgets, no likey. Too much stuff in the way. Although, I will be getting a rock exotica swivel.

Nick has a really good video on it here: Ropetek HItchHiker - Basic Use and DRT / SRT Trans - YouTube
I've not used the beeline that came with mine, I just used some ice tail or hrc cord and no problems. The ice tail is a little jumpy but the hrc is pretty smooth.

One problem I had was figuring out which side of the HHgoes toward my body. I know these vids are good. But there are some basics that are important that get skipped over. Definatly not the install and use like an ascender or a GriGri.
Bonner uses 7 wrapped so I'll try that and will try some softer line. This thing has to be absolutely bomb proof for me before I'll go up a tree without my beloved spurs.

SGB. I second the Rock Exotica swivels !!!!!!
I think I'll try one of their swivel pulleys on my rope bridge. I'm just curious how fool pruf the lock up is. I use a CMI pulley on my rope bridge and its pretty idiot pruf. But if I don't use 2 biners it twists. I spose a revolver caribiner would work on the bridge also.

No Tenex!

I am thinking of trying some 3/8 Tenex on it. And ordering some IceTail for it. That stuff is pretty limber but strong and heat resistant.

Wasn't a great day today. In this heat I can't seem to get past 5 trees side trimmed along the HV line to Glennallen. And I kinda spurred my new climbing rope :eek:uttahere2::sweat3::too_sad:

Don't use tenex, Tramp, it's not designed for that. It melts at like 400 degrees, it would be real easy to burn through it. Jeff

Hitch Hiker Instructions | RopeTek

I just got my HH so take this with a grain of salt, but I followed advice from folks on the tree house who basically say, load the hitch hard with your full weight, then untie the stopper knot and tighten it up from there.

I had questions before I bought it about the rope I was using and Paul (creator) was quick to reply after I emailed him on the ropetek website.

Obviously you've never seen me come down a rope. Ya know that saying low and slow. , well I come down real slow. But, As I was feeling like hammered crap this morning I stayed at camp and rested up. This afternoon I worked on tiring the hh . I think I got er.
7 wraps. I got it so tight that I had the dog bone sucked up jamming the climbing line and I had to slack the knot off some. It doesn't zing up the line effortlessly. But it goes up nicely and it grabs the 7/16 static instantly.

Latest posts

Back