Procut sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup that's the one. It used to be a northeast thing, but the manufacturers thought it would be a better idea to move it around the country for more exposure.

Which one are you?

I'm the one with the "Norwood" hat,
picture.GIF
And we was in Youngstown Oh.

Yup, the next shootout will be in S.C. in 2007.

Rob

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Wow a chainsaw milling site, I just discovered it! My contribution;
I have posted this elsewhere so I hope I don't bore any one but I purchased a big saw and Alaskans mill a year ago last January to mill some doug fir on my property for a timber frame house. I am now milling the last of the logs for the flooring as the frame is up, the roof on and ready for siding! I have milled about 8,000 bd ft thus far and the flooring will add about another 2,000 bd ft.
I went the chainsaw route so I could just mill logs where they lay not having the large equip to move them as would be required with a band mill.
When I was cutting the 8x8 timbers I could get about $700 dollars of cut lumber a day based on what the lumber yard quoted me for 8x8x16' doug fir. Thats more than my daily earnings in my work (self employed) but when I was cutting the 1x8 roof boards the cost/value equation naturally declined. Any way as others have mentioned the different mills have their place. I have an acquaintance who has a Woodmizer and he has built a barn with stalls, a riding arena and garage with it and that includes a ton of roof boards and batt and board siding! He has all the big equip to move and load logs so its a great set up for him.
My conclusion is that the chainsaw mill set up has worked out very profitably for my project. I bought my timber frame plans from a company that also sells timber frame packages, My frame alone would have cost $38,000 and that doesn't include erecting it, just the frame timbers!
The CSM has a definite place, My flooring will be 25' continuous planks cut from a 36" diamiter log! hard to do on a Woodmizer!

Wow a chainsaw milling site, I just discovered it! My contribution;
I have posted this elsewhere so I hope I don't bore any one but I purchased a big saw and Alaskans mill a year ago last January to mill some doug fir on my property for a timber frame house. I am now milling the last of the logs for the flooring as the frame is up, the roof on and ready for siding! I have milled about 8,000 bd ft thus far and the flooring will add about another 2,000 bd ft.
I went the chainsaw route so I could just mill logs where they lay not having the large equip to move them as would be required with a band mill.
When I was cutting the 8x8 timbers I could get about $700 dollars of cut lumber a day based on what the lumber yard quoted me for 8x8x16' doug fir. Thats more than my daily earnings in my work (self employed) but when I was cutting the 1x8 roof boards the cost/value equation naturally declined. Any way as others have mentioned the different mills have their place. I have an acquaintance who has a Woodmizer and he has built a barn with stalls, a riding arena and garage with it and that includes a ton of roof boards and batt and board siding! He has all the big equip to move and load logs so its a great set up for him.
My conclusion is that the chainsaw mill set up has worked out very profitably for my project. I bought my timber frame plans from a company that also sells timber frame packages, My frame alone would have cost $38,000 and that doesn't include erecting it, just the frame timbers!
The CSM has a definite place, My flooring will be 25' continuous planks cut from a 36" diamiter log! hard to do on a Woodmizer!

Thanks for the post. Good information in there for everyone to read.

I'm the one with the "Norwood" hat

I can't make out who you're referring to in the photo, but no matter...
Norwood appears to make the Lumbermate mills, and you're there apparently advocating the Lumbermate products judging by the photos? Are you compensated in any manner, (i.e. cash or goods) by the manufacturer for your appearance(s) there? Is that your own mill you're working there?

Norwood appears to make the Lumbermate mills, and you're there apparently advocating the Lumbermate products judging by the photos? Are you compensated in any manner, (i.e. cash or goods) by the manufacturer for your appearance(s) there? Is that your own mill you're working there?

Yes, Norwood makes the lumbermate. (along with many other products)

The photo's are of MY sawmill on MY farm, sawing MY logs, nothing more.

I do NOT work for Norwood or have anything to do with them other than own and use there products. They are a good company and they sell good a product. I HAVE been to there headquarters and met the folks there, great people...

Rob

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Back