Procut sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newfie said:
I don't know what keeps him sticking around. He knows that he is right and that we are all BS'ers who don't jack about anything. Not much room for conversation and sharing.

Sap must be a glutton for punishment. He's his own worst enemy,thats for sure. When so many different people tell him the same thing,and try to help him,and he just spits on the advice and guidance he's given it makes it hard to even take him seriously.
I don't know anything about milling. Other than rough cutting some cedar fence posts with a Beam Machine I wouldn't even know where or how to begin. With that thought in mind I"d sure be willing to listen to and take the advice of the people here who know what they're doing. Sure theres some disagreement among sawyers buts thats to be expected and even that can be a source of good information.
Everyone here has,at one time or another,tried to help him. He doesn't avail himself of the help offered.
If he wants to go back to square one and just ask a question and thank the responder for their help and build his information and skill sets and ask more and learn more he could still get the kind of help he needs. If he persists in antagonizing the very people who could help him the most...well, I wouldn't pour water on him if his guts were on fire.

coveredinsap said:
Hmmmm, that's odd. If I'm reading this right, this is saying that chainsaw bar oil is a mineral oil based product? What's so bad about that? Mineral oil is what you use to seal a kitchen chopping block or cutting board. You can take a swig of it...in fact it is a laxative...and the worse that will happen is that you'll have loose bowels.

If you're constipated on the job, you've got the laxative right there in your chainsaw. How handy is that? :)

http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/5/173.htm

You aren't reading it right... Go ahead and drink all the USA bar oil you like... it's just 30 wt (roughly) motor oil with additives to make it stickier...

I've always wanted to try a Peterson sawmil.

GalleryBigLog1Big.jpg

GalleryBigLog5bBig.jpg

GalleryBigLog9Big.jpg

Newfie said:
watcha talkin' bout Willis? Remember, I just made that **** up!:hmm3grin2orange:
Ha ha. Ironically enough, I remember "opportunity cost" as being one of the first basic economic concepts in the first chapter of the first economic book I ever picked up--Principles of Microeconomics. This is too funny. :cheers:

peterson sawmill

Wow!!! Now that looks like a giant,I like it,I like it a lot! Is that avaliable in a kit or only complete.Thanks for the pisc...Mark

carvinmark said:
Wow!!! Now that looks like a giant,I like it,I like it a lot! Is that avaliable in a kit or only complete.Thanks for the pisc...Mark

I beleive the initial investment gets you enough to do 10 or 11 feet of cutting and then you purchase add on rail sections. Not sure on costs or specs, just what I remember from the last sawmill shootout I went to.

Mule you had to ruin everything! First it was Alaskan, then a Lucas, then the Procut, we were taking wagers on which non-bandmill sap would latch onto. Maybe he'll go for a logosol.:biggrinbounce2:

spacemule said:
Ha ha. Ironically enough, I remember "opportunity cost" as being one of the first basic economic concepts in the first chapter of the first economic book I ever picked up--Principles of Microeconomics. This is too funny. :cheers:

Yeah me too. I thought it was a very basic business principle, but the expert has told me I'm making it up, so I'm sure we are both mistaken.:laugh:

I don't know what keeps him sticking around. He knows that he is right and that we are all BS'ers who don't jack about anything. Not much room for conversation and sharing.

Uh, no.

Although I know a guy who reminds me of many folks around here. Everything he owns is 'the best' and worth big bucks. Everything anyone else owns is 'not worth jack'. If someone asks his opinion on something he doesn't own, it's a POS. Of course, as soon as he buys that same exact POS from someone, or comes into possesion of one in some other manner (at a rock-bottom price reflective of it's worthlessness), it immediately gains value and stature. It seems that just the simple process of him owning it makes it of high quality and subsequent high value. The Midas touch. Imagine that, eh?

Maybe he'll go for a logosol.

Maybe I'll "go for" the one that I decide is sufficient for the job at hand. Just like the 455 Husky for milling the cedar.

Wow, what a concept!!!!....someone makes up thir mind for themselves rather than blindly following others.

By the way...it's been raining here for about 42 of the past 45 days, which is why I've been posting here lately. What the heck are the excuses for you other 'experts' not being out there having at it? The rest of the country's been looking pretty warm and dry lately....so what are you doing here?

coveredinsap said:
Maybe I'll "go for" the one that I decide is sufficient for the job at hand. Just like the 455 Husky for milling the cedar.

The rest of the country's been looking pretty warm and dry lately....so what are you doing here?

I understand using the right tool for the job, really I do. I also think it's wise to plan for other jobs you might do with the same tool. So if you decide to mill some hardwood in the future, the 455 would not be the right tool.

What am I doing here? I'm at work! Have a nice day.:D

I understand using the right tool for the job, really I do. I also think it's wise to plan for other jobs you might do with the same tool. So if you decide to mill some hardwood in the future, the 455 would not be the right tool.

Excellent point.

The 455, however, was purchased specifically to mill the cedar tree using the small log mill, and to become an all around saw afterwards. When the time comes to mill more and/or harder woods, it was the intention from the beginning to get a larger dedicated saw and a MKIII Alaskan full sized mill with auxillary oiler. I thought I made that clear in past posts....but evidently not.

Small log mill=small logs, Regular MKIII Alaskan mill=large logs

In the same vein, It was never stated that all milling was going to necessarily be done by the chainsaw mill(s)....the right tool for the job and all that. Depending on other things yet to be determined, i.e. whether I will be needing to mill the logs in place where they lay...or am able to transport them to a dedicated milling site, the general size of the available logs, etc., all determines what particular choice(s) will be made.

And the bottom line is that all types of mills have their plusses and minuses. There is no one mill for every circumstance...although again, the chainsaw mill appears to be the most adaptable of them all.

coveredinsap said:
Excellent point.

The 455, however, was purchased specifically to mill the cedar tree using the small log mill, and to become an all around saw afterwards. When the time comes to mill more and/or harder woods, it was the intention from the beginning to get a larger dedicated saw and a MKIII Alaskan full sized mill with auxillary oiler. I thought I made that clear in past posts....but evidently not.

Small log mill=small logs, Regular MKIII Alaskan mill=large logs

In the same vein, It was never stated that all milling was going to necessarily be done by the chainsaw mill(s)....the right tool for the job and all that. Depending on other things yet to be determined, i.e. whether I will be needing to mill the logs in place where they lay...or am able to transport them to a dedicated milling site, the general size of the available logs, etc., all determines what particular choice(s) will be made.

And the bottom line is that all types of mills have their plusses and minuses. There is no one mill for every circumstance...although again, the chainsaw mill appears to be the most adaptable of them all.

Now we're talkin! Too bad you didn't join up earlier. I had a 36" Alaskan/066 milling set-up I would have sold you, but I sold the mill last fall.

I beleive the initial investment gets you enough to do 10 or 11 feet of cutting and then you purchase add on rail sections. Not sure on costs or specs, just what I remember from the last sawmill shootout I went to.

Is "this" the shootout your talking about?

picture.JPG

I was there too, in fact i'm in the picture...

Rob

By the way...it's been raining here for about 42 of the past 45 days, which is why I've been posting here lately. What the heck are the excuses for you other 'experts' not being out there having at it?

I was sawing on monday, it's so much faster than a csm that now i can take the rest of the week off... HAHAHAHAHAHAAA

Rob

Sawyer Rob said:
Is "this" the shootout your talking about?

picture.JPG

I was there too, in fact i'm in the picture...

Rob

Where is the shootout held? Which one are you?

The shootout I saw was at the Northeast Forest Products Expo in Springfield Ma. I believe that was the 2004. The expo was in Bangor,Me. last year and the "shootout" went to an independent location in Ohio if I remember correctly.

Splitting firewood and sawing white pine this week. My really expensive equipment is so great and so fast that I can take nice leisurely lunches.:biggrinbounce2:

Newfie said:
The shootout I saw was at the Northeast Forest Products Expo in Springfield Ma. I believe that was the 2004. The expo was in Bangor,Me. last year and the "shootout" went to an independent location in Ohio if I remember correctly.

Splitting firewood and sawing white pine this week. My really expensive equipment is so great and so fast that I can take nice leisurely lunches.:biggrinbounce2:

Ouch.:)

Back