Productivity of Climbing vs Lift vs. Grapple-saw Crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimberBusinessman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So far, I'm a climber and climb the trees I'm removing (or the occasional pruning job). What is the productivity increase of using a spider lift? From what I can tell, an 83' spider lift is about $150,00, and a grapple-saw crane is $625,000 (if you can even buy one with the shortages). Is a lift something like 1.5 times faster than climbing, and a grapple-saw 3 times faster than a lift? Or are both of these a way to spend extra money with little benefit?

So far, I'm a climber and climb the trees I'm removing (or the occasional pruning job). What is the productivity increase of using a spider lift? From what I can tell, an 83' spider lift is about $150,00, and a grapple-saw crane is $625,000 (if you can even buy one with the shortages). Is a lift something like 1.5 times faster than climbing, and a grapple-saw 3 times faster than a lift? Or are both of these a way to spend extra money with little benefit?
Can't speak to the grapple saw but our lift cut time on climbing jobs in half.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Since acquiring a CMC 83' lift, our productivity has increased dramatically. The 65' boom truck stays in the yard. When circumstances are right, one set up with the lift will allow one (man) to trim or remove multiple trees. The lift also lowers the amount of rigging required for most removals.

Sometimes the lift allows a lesser skilled climber to be much more efficient. Sometimes it allows one man to do the work of three. I wouldn't want to be without it.

All that being said, we're negotiating for a stick crane right now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back