Project Rebuild 288XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makayser

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so I thought I would post a finished 288XP saw rebuild. It ended up needing lots of cleaning (very dirty which the ultrasound cleaned up nicely), new crank bearings (SKF) and a new piston (Meteor) with a hone job on the original cylinder. Have not put the saw into any wood yet put it idles well and I have set the high at the max 12,500 RPM. Kept the squish band at factory (40 thousands) and it is producing 170 PSI of compression. Like all saw rebuilds it needed new o-rings and gaskets throughout the saw. I used TS-70 moly paste on the cylinder with a bit of Husqvarna oil mix dripped into the cylinder before I fired it off. I read online this saves the saw when you are first breaking it in.

Attachments

• 288XP_1.jpg
    288XP_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 288XP_2.jpg
    288XP_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Ts-moly, good stuff when first starting it up. Less wear. I burnish it into the cylinder walls and piston skirt. First then leave a light film of moly, add some two stroke oil just a few drops.

I suggest tuning your 288xp in the wood. I think those carbs have a governed carb limiting the max rpm, so it's best to tune it so it 2-strokes in the cut. Maybe your governor has already been plugged though, which makes them easier to tune by rpm.

No governor on it. See the picture. There is an ATOM computer ignition module that came with it. The carbs that are governed have a screw next to the choke lever and this one does not. Funny I have the same carb on a 181se that is also not governed in the carb. I don’t know the exact ages of these saws but I am guessing mid 80’s. I have attached pictures of the serial numbers for both the 288XP and the 181SE.

Thanks Mark

Attachments

• 92934185-7ABA-44F9-8CFF-81C1A50D4F5F.jpeg
    92934185-7ABA-44F9-8CFF-81C1A50D4F5F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Latest posts