ProTape Any Good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a logging tape and so far Spencer is the only brand that I saw mentioned when I did a search.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not a logger but since I just purchased and had a wood burning insert installed, I want to make sure I buck the logs so they fit.

In the past, I just eye-balled it.

Your not getting the point. The tape on your hip does you no good. You can’t be accurate without holding it to the wood. The measuring stick stuck to your bar requires no hands.

Your not getting the point. The tape on your hip does you no good. You can’t be accurate without holding it to the wood. The measuring stick stuck to your bar requires no hands.

I get it. That's why I "liked" your post.

I don't have to be pinpoint accurate. I would be using the logging tape to also measure out sections after limbing for the times I have to be able to move the sections around.

I am trying to limit the number of items I need to take with me. The more things I have that can be used for multiple purposes, the better.

Although, I am thinking of getting both a tape (for the longer sections) and something similar to the Ott Acu Stick.

A spencer tape works well for its intended purpose. That purpose is measuring and / or bucking , in the woods to marketable lengths for transport to the landing for sale or merchandising. Example : cutting firewood to an appropriate length in woods to avoid waste when it’s bucked in the landing to stove length. Trying to use a tape to measure 16-24 inch firewood is a waste of time.

I get it. That's why I "liked" your post.

I don't have to be pinpoint accurate. I would be using the logging tape to also measure out sections after limbing for the times I have to be able to move the sections around.

I am trying to limit the number of items I need to take with me. The more things I have that can be used for multiple purposes, the better.

Although, I am thinking of getting both a tape (for the longer sections) and something similar to the Ott Acu Stick.
Seems to me that any sort of extra stick type measuring device gets abandoned in a hurry.

Measuring firewood with a log tape is a hassle IMO, eyeballing is generally close enough. But then my OCD is relegated to sorting candies (i.e. M+M's, SourPatch Kids, Skittles etc) by color, I could give a S less if the firewood isn't perfect.

you are putting to much thought into it. if your running a 18 to 20 inch bar, use that to use as a scale to what your log length needs to be. if it is to short, it will fit. if it is to long, you can angle it. the important measurement is width. if your stove isnt a biker chick. no amount of force will drive that log in. my stove is a biker chick. :cool: what drives me, is when your chopping up a log and your down to that last 4 feet and i want to not end up with a stubby. i just have to slow down for a split second and roughly figure out what a 1/3 is.

Back