Pruning advice for young AB Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPF

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last summer I got an Autumn Blaze maple from Lowe's for "S's and G's". It was late summer, I didn't think it would take. The wife wanted to try it and it was cheap ($30). It was about 7'. If it died, no big loss. We could get a bigger one later for more money. If it took, than it would have been a great deal.

I planted it and took care of it, watering regularly, but not over watering (soak 1-2 times a week). It has actually done well.

My question is, I have a long branch that came off low and has grown all summer and is now the tallest part of the tree. See this pic (click pic for larger version):

You can see it coming off as the lowest branch then going up the left side all the way to the top. This branch will definitely come off later when the tree gets bigger. Should I cut it back or off in the spring when I prune? I don't want it to form a second main trunk, but I'm not sure if I should rob the tree of the food from that growth next year.

Any advice?
Thanks
-DPF

I would start reducing it with the intent to remove it later on. Perhaps 1/3 now and then the rest next year. I see a lot of interior lower growth and a sparse top, did you check the roots when you planted it? Might have some signs of girdling. Check the roots and correct those problems if any before making any branch cuts. Training the tree for structure now will help you and the tree later on. Good for you for planning.

Last edited:
Dada's right as usual. Don't wait until spring to prune; now is a better time.

Latest posts

Back