Pruning Maple Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, y'er in for a surprise.

That saw will cut a lot faster once you learn how to use it. Straighter cuts, faster cuts, less effort, less heat, and... just a bit of banging on the bark. Pressing the blade into the wood harder makes it vibrate more, too.
Oh and you would know would you, you don't think that maybe these people know about pruning a tree, you don't think that maybe people have been pruning trees, using/fixing chainsaws longer than you have and that maybe they have more real world experience?.......
There is more than one way to prune trees and what you are doing by comments like you posted is belittling people, basically telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

Bye all, it's been nice knowing you, I am due to be banned soon because I don't agree implicitly with this 'pdqdl's point of view and then he/she get's triggered when I laugh at him.

Oh and you would know would you, you don't think that maybe these people know about pruning a tree, you don't think that maybe people have been pruning trees, using/fixing chainsaws longer than you have and that maybe they have more real world experience?.......
There is more than one way to prune trees and what you are doing by comments like you posted is belittling people, basically telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

Bye all, it's been nice knowing you, I am due to be banned soon because I don't agree implicitly with this 'pdqdl's point of view and then he/she get's triggered when I laugh at him.

Actually, I have not ever so much as chided you for disagreeing with me. It's that other topic that's off limits. I've even given you invitations to criticize my posts, and contend with me on any topic... but one.

Upon careful review, however, you'll find that I have mostly agreed with other posts in this thread. Even my strongest critic in this thread has made comments worthy of consideration, and I haven't once belittled anyone. As it happens, he agreed with me about the sawzall, so I'd say we were a pretty happy family in this thread until you came along sowing discord. Despite your belittling comments about me, I'll not reciprocate.
Since you seem to have a desire to contend with me, kindly make some points that are worthy of an argument. Making vacuous angry assertions will only get you a like from TNT.

You turned into attack mode on the topic of using a reciprocating electric saw (sawzall) to make pruning cuts, which two experienced arborists disagreed with. I'll simplify this argument for you: show me ANYWHERE, a tree equipment vendor that sells sawzalls. Hardware stores don't count; only a vendor that lists both an arborist-rated rope and some Silky pruning saws. Put up, or shut up.

For your viewing pleasure...

There is no shoe bouncing off the limb, and there never is - in fact, if you've got the shoe crammed up against the limb, you can't see what you're cutting.
I'll make another video tomorrow - there's a walnut limb I need to cut.

Why would you use a sawzall on that twig? That's what pruning shears are for.

As to shoes bouncing or other problems you say don't happen, I think you need to pay more attention to what I say, rather than looking for opportunities to offer criticism. Your video even proves my point, as it skates around on the twig prior to cutting it off.

Kindly consider:
... Now, if you don't use the shoe at all to stabilize your cut, it mostly just wiggles in place and doesn't cut as well. It can be done that way, however.

For your viewing pleasure...

There is no shoe bouncing off the limb, and there never is - in fact, if you've got the shoe crammed up against the limb, you can't see what you're cutting.
I'll make another video tomorrow - there's a walnut limb I need to cut.

First, why are the saw teeth on the top of the blade? I've never seen a blade with the teeth on top.....is it upside down somehow?
Second, you don't cut from the bottom up when making a basic severing cut like this, you cut from the top down. Starting at the bottom is a sure way to get the saw stuck in a larger branch.
Third, watch the video and see how the saw skips on the branch before it starts cutting. It won't do that if used properly.....

I've been using mine for years also. Only on trees, not construction, so I couldn't compare between the two.
All I can say is the shoe never touches the tree when using it properly with a pruning blade.

I will make you a tutorial video tomorrow so you can see the proper way to use a sawsall to prune a tree. :drinkingcoffee:
There is no "proper way" using a sawzall....that is what pruning saws are made for......🪚
Beside, a good pruning saw is cheaper than a cordless sawzall, cuts just as fast or faster, and doesn't need a battery to do it......

You can also prune trees very nicely with a hatchet, an axe, a machete, even a carpenter's hand saw.

That doesn't make it a good plan. If you like your sawzall for pruning, by all means, keep it up. Just don't come to homeowner helper section asking for the professionals to endorse that as a great plan.

There is one place I wholly support using a sawzall on trees for: roots. If you gotta cut through a root buried in the dirt, that's a great time to have that tool sitting around unused. Otherwise, they are just an irritant compared to using the right tools to do the job.

Possibly, but that's also what you say to someone who thinks their "opinions" are right and everyone else's opinions are wrong...

I disagree with that. What you said is very rude. It is not appropriate to respond rudely when people disagree with your opinion. This is a forum where folks are encouraged to share ideas and experiences. I have not been rude.

I would have never guessed that an arborist forum would be a cutthroat blood bath. It's a crazy world.

Anyway, Happy Father's Day, Gents.
Its a crazy forum......
r1DEnhw.gif

:laugh: I do have a Stihl chainsaw and use Stihl ultra oil -- I'm guessing this information will ruffle some feathers?

What kind of verbal violence would I incite if I were to ask a few questions about my 150+ Cheyenne Privet?

The tree next to it however has a serious lean developing, probably from being planted to close together. That should be addressed while the tree is still small and easily manageable....If that were my place that leaning tree would be removed to allow the larger tree next to it to grow properly.
I didn't notice the tree to the left had such a considerable lean to it until I pruned those lower branches. I just recently bought this home and am now doing my best to get the yard whipped into shape. The previous home owner indicated that those 2 trees were marked as "columnar" at the nursery, but were obviously tagged incorrectly.

How does one go about correcting that leaning tree? Considering how big those trees are going to be in the future, I think your recommendation to remove it is probably best.

:surprised3::surprised3::surprised3::surprised3: O M G! Not the dreaded privet???
You just gave me a stroke.
:ices_rofl:

I think you're okay with the Stihl, not sure about the oil.
I don't own a chainsaw, so you can only imagine the amount of grief I've gotten over that.
I bought a sawsall instead. :drinkingcoffee: Don't need oil for that.
Oh no, heaven help me. Are Privet on the invasive list right along with the Norways? If so, I sense Del sprinting to his keyboard!

I figure I should get some kind of arborist streed cred from both the pro-sawzall and anti-sawzall camps based on the fact that I own a cordless sawzall, a corded sawzall, a newly purchased pruning saw and a gas chainsaw. However, my tree pruning experience is limited to 6 trees.

Oh no, heaven help me. Are Privet on the invasive list right along with the Norways? If so, I sense Del sprinting to his keyboard!

I figure I should get some kind of arborist streed cred from both the pro-sawzall and anti-sawzall camps based on the fact that I own a cordless sawzall, a corded sawzall, a newly purchased pruning saw and a gas chainsaw. However, my tree pruning experience is limited to 6 trees.

In fact, I have never seen a sawzall themed conflict before. So far as I am aware, there is only one person who actively supports their use in trimming trees.

We try to eliminate conflict from the homeowner helper forum, however, but sometimes it crops up. So far as I can recall, I've never seen anyone take heat for trimming an invasive species, so you must be one lucky fellow.

In fact, I have never seen a sawzall themed conflict before. So far as I am aware, there is only one person who actively supports their use in trimming trees.

We try to eliminate conflict from the homeowner helper forum, however, but sometimes it crops up. So far as I can recall, I've never seen anyone take heat for trimming an invasive species, so you must be one lucky fellow.
I've used my Milwaukee sawzall in my orchard. I seem to get clean cuts without hammering the bark near the cut. Most when I'm WTF up an overgrown old tree that needs some cuts on large stuff.

Back