Pruning tree trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougb

Reaction score
Is it possible to cut into the side of a N.E. Florida 60" diameter Live Oak tree without killing the tree? I need to make way for sidewalk and provide a 7' tall vertical "clear way " from the edge of the sidewalk up to 7 feet. Since the tree leans away from the sidewalk the deepest cut would be at the base of the tree 15" deep at ground level and taper up 7 feet to a 1 inch deep cut. After the cut should pruning seal be applied?

No.

Well, you asked of it is possible. Yes. Is it a good idea? No. It won't outright kill the tree, but it will set it on a road to decline and decay.

Whoever makes a cut like that may find out in the future that they are held liable to the tune of tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If personal injury or death is involved. Millions.

It would probably be wiser to rob a bank then to make such a cut.

If you carved out a little hollow and put a troll in there though it would make it all good!

Thank you for the advice it has been very helpful. I don't have any pictures at this time but since the general sentiment is it is problematic in the future we will look into other ways to get around the tree with the sidewalk or remove it all together. I definitely do not want to create a future hazard. I appreciate the quick responses I got from this forum.

Thank you for the advice it has been very helpful. I don't have any pictures at this time but since the general sentiment is it is problematic in the future we will look into other ways to get around the tree with the sidewalk or remove it all together. I definitely do not want to create a future hazard. I appreciate the quick responses I got from this forum.
Move the sidewalk, leave the tree alone? MHO :cool:

I would move the walkway path to accommodate the tree. South Florida is way too humid for work like that and segregating bole wood from the upper cambium is a sure long range killer. The section above your proposed removal would starve and die out leaving a void for insects and rot.

Latest posts

Back