PSG caddy vs Jack vs Kuuma Vapor vs Napoleon HMF150 --yes, another "help me pick a wood furnace"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also like to know whats wrong with the dead furnace after 1 year. Especially after the 50 page thread on HERE about them. double especially that many people are recommending them over others because of the clean burn with low price. If the unit is dead? What facts could be coming?

I also would like to know whats up with the tundra as I've been looking to purchase one. What's the problem?

I'd also like to know seeins I have one sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Did I make a bad decision by buying one? It seems decently well built..not as heavy as my old Yukon but decent. Most everything I have heard about them has been good besides the ash pan but that has been fixed. Maybe the unit was damaged from misuse??

BTW I have personally met whitespider pretty sure he's not 70 and not living off us taxpayers. Might like to blow a bit of smoke but a pretty good fella from my experience.

I stand behind whitespider, and would also like to have more details on why the drolet didnt last one year? Sounds to me like operator error because this is the first time ive heard of any problems with them and i was thinking of buying one since they are half the price of the kuuma.

@spadjen please share what went wrong with your previous stove. I think these guys are hung up on that and you'll probably get better feedback if we get that out of the way.

I have no firsthand experience with the models that you mentioned but will throw a plug for @lampmfg as I've yet to hear a bad thing about their products. FD: They are also a fellow Finn, and my nearest AS neighbor.

Hey centennial60, how you doin'?
Keep us up to date on the Tundra, your old farm house sittin' there catchin' all that wind will be a real valid test (or comparison) for its capabilities under heavy demand.
I'd like to see one in operation... maybe after you get it up 'n' runnin'??
I sure hope the OP of this thread ain't uncovered a new problem or issue that will effect you, or your installation.
I gotta' tell ya... after using it in last season's cold... that DAKA I bought from you turned out to be perfect for my place/conditions/use.
One of the best buys I've made in a long time... it's already more than paid for itself.

And yeah... it ain't possible I could be an unemployed pizza delivery guy... 'cause... well... ya' can't deliver pizza without a drivers license :rock:
:laugh:

I would like to know also, just out of curiosity. Just like anything else, a failure from one person doesn't mean the product is inferior. Like whitespider said, there's too many variables in home heating. Our old furnace lasted 25 years, and I sold it for someone else to heat with, meanwhile Ive seen threads where they were destroyed in just a few years.

Hey centennial60, how you doin'?
Keep us up to date on the Tundra, your old farm house sittin' there catchin' all that wind will be a real valid test (or comparison) for its capabilities under heavy demand.
Things are great!
I sold the old farmhouse acreage and moved into a mid 60s ranch so my heating demand is going to be alot less. There's no way I could heat this place with the Superjack unless I was going to leave half the windows open haha! :laugh:

I guess its my fault for mentioning the furnace since I was trying to keep the thread on toppic. There is 2 different subjects here. This thread is about helping me get a furnace ASAP and recommendations on what I should do. I DO NOT have a backup source of heat and do have kids. It was my intention to start a new thread about the issues with the heatmax. If you look back through the 50 page thread about the heatmax you will see I was the one that pulled the trigger on the ash pan issue. I did this only after I was 100%. I am big on safety as well as not circulating misleading information. In that instance, I had the fire department here with the C/O meter running test to isolate the issue to the ash box. I further investigated its design and made sure this information was correct. I did all of this in a matter of hours since it was a safety issue. I then immediately notified others on the forum. There is currently no safety issue here. I have someone coming next week at my own expense to give me a 2nd opinion and I will pass this information on to you guys when complete. Everyone seems happy with there unit so I would say this is isolated. Also, SBI is treating me good and standing behind there product. I hope this helps for now.

As for my situation. I think I narrowed down my choice to the Caddy. However, The only thing I can get my hands on is the Napoleon HMF150 and maybe the superjack. The caddy would be February and the Kumma would be January. I am trying to get my hands on a Caddy ASAP, if anyone has any leads. If there is something else I should consider that is in stock, please let me know. I heard mixed reviews about the HMF150 but nothing specific other then bad customer service?

I have heard very little on the HMF150, what I did hear was negative.

Do you have 2 chimneys? If so, a separate wood furnace and fossil fuel furnace will be cheaper and more efficient than a combo unit. If you have 1 chimney you could still do a wood furnace and then get a HE "propain" furnace that can be vented out through a PVC pipe

I never considered that it may be cheaper to have a separate unit. I will look into that option. Thanks!

What did you hear about the HMF150?

The damper control was sticking on the HMF from the threads I read. They possibly redesigned that portion of the furnace. It's pretty much the same design as the Caddy, but with a few more options like an insulated door and had a startup bypass. I've seen numerous people comment about how happy their relatives were with the Napoleon's. As far as the Caddy is concerned, if your happy with the heat output and operation of the Tundra, it will be similar to the Caddy. Of course, there's a higher quality with the Caddy, and with the plenum opening there's a higher btu output.

I think I would be happy with the caddy or max caddy too. Just wish there was one sitting in my driveway. Maybe if I go out and look........nope not there. I will make some more calls and see what I can come up with.

I heard mixed reviews about the HMF150 but nothing specific other then bad customer service?

What did you hear about the HMF150?
It's been a year or two since I seen this...IIRC it was everything from damaged in shipping, and Napolean was no help at all, to parts not fitting correctly, Napolean no help again, and I think like Laynes said, damper sticking, and once again Napolean no help, I see a theme there. If this is the same company that makes the Napolean stoves, it seems people have better luck with those...IDK?
I think I would be happy with the caddy or max caddy too. Just wish there was one sitting in my driveway.
Where are you located? The last time I was in the store, Lehmans Hardware in Kidron Ohio had one on the floor, I dunno if they'd sell it off the floor or if you are close enough to make that work. I think there is a large amish Caddy dealer in Millersburg Ohio also, I don't have any contact info on them and PSGs dealer locater is total crap...at least it doesn't work for me...at all! So, I know...I'm a big help, right?! :rolleyes:

Edit: Alright, PSGs site just made a liar out of me, dealer locater worked perfectly!?! o_O
Dealer Address
panier32.jpg
LEHMAN HARDWARE & APPLIANCE
10.24KM (6.36Mi)
ONE LEHMAN CIRCLE
KIDRON(OH) US
(330) 857-5757
View map
panier32.jpg
1034 - CUSTOM FIREPLACE SHOP
29.13KM (18.10Mi)
5537 WHIPPLE AVE N.W