purchasing chipper/shredder-need HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara Bureker

Reaction score
Hi!
We want to purchase a chipper/shredder and have questions on comparing the differences between brands and models.
Questions are:
One blade versus two blade?
Sharpened blades versus unsharpened blades?
Is horse power divided between the chipper and shredder part? If this is the case, would a lower power chipper be more powerful than a higher power chipper/shredder?
Any brand/model preferences out there would be helpful!

Thanks for your help,
Barbara and Mike

I have had limited experience with the homeowner chipper/shredders. But I used to have a neighbor who had a 10 year old Troy-Bilt that he used faithfully at least 2x per month. He had about an acre lot with tons of trees and used it to mulch up all his leaves and fallen limbs to make compost for his garden. He always said that it was the best purchase he ever made.

One blade versus two:
It takes longer for a two blade system to recover than a one blade system. So I would recommend a one blade.

Next I would recommend sharpened blades. Blunt blades dont chip well at all.

Horsepower is not divided between both the chipper and shreader unless you are filling up both the chipper and the shreader at the same time.

For home use I would recommend a crary bearcat chipper.

Hope this helps

Barbara, I wanted to update you on what was said here. Troy-Bilt filed bankruptcy and it doesnt look like there are going to be anymore of these built. So dont buy one of these or you will have trouble getting parts. MTD bought the name and is only expecting to use the rototiller portion of the name. As for bearcat chippers. They now use a two blade system. Still stong built. Dont know of any smaller units with one blade other than BCS (made in Italy). Good luck on your purchase.

Thank you for the response to my questions. I realize that this site is really
aimed at those using commercial machines, so I appreciate you taking the time to
answer my homeowner questions.

We have ten acres, and am trying to reclaim part of it from blackberries and
other invasive brush, and just generally clean it up... we thought chipping it
all up would be preferable to burning but found ourselves confused by the
different kinds of chippers ... your response has helped.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

I myself would burn the blackberries.As wild as they are, Im sure where ever there chips landed they would grow.

Try a brush mower, they come in many sizes. A hyro-stumper or gyro-trac would take care of 10 acres in a few days <g>. Just under $5k per week for rental. (not bad if you think about it though.)

Try a brush mower, they come in many sizes. A hyro-stumper or gyro-trac would take care of 10 acres in a few days <g>. Just under $5k per week for rental. (not bad if you think about it though.)

Latest posts

Back