Putting together a green worktable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Title says it all. Got some misc hardwood that I'm slabbing for a table and a future gazebo, but I got plenty and suddenly really want an outdoor worktable. Nothing nice, just a solid surface to let me work of the ground when I'm outside. I stopped slabbing one log when there was one board left in it, and cut it lengthwise and into 4 legs. I was thinking I'd frame it with some old dimensional lumber, then put a hardwood top on it. The thing is, I'd like to have it NOW. I figure framing it with dimensional lumber will give it a little support so it doesn't turn into spaghetti as it dries, but it will clearly still warp. But I'm not too sure I care. Was thinking 3 15" wide boards from this kinda buggy maple, 2" thick.

Will it just be garbage in a year, or will I end out with a good-enough table for tearing apart the lawnmower or snowblower when it eats another length of cable... I still don't understand where that came from

Oh good point. Well I still got a few pounds of nails left over from putting the shed together (turns out I'm bad at math) so I'll do that. Partly because I'd like to eventually replace the dimensional framing with home made boards just so I can say it's pure diy

Definitely don't use nails
The way I make some work benches I use long pull-through bolt joints that easily accomodate shrinkage etc. Tf the bench gets a little loose, just tighten the bolts and the whole thing becomes as tight as a drum again.
Thrubolts.jpg

This is that particular bench made for a mate of mine who is a wood carver.
The top is held on using HD metal Z-clips but they're also easily made out of wood
FinishedBench3.jpg
The oldest bench I've made this was is ~15 yers old and is made out of pine, with an inch and a half thick melamine top. It's currently being used by my wife as a jewellery bench. Its been tightened several times and still solid as.

Well, I'm picking a spot in the yard and cutting the rest of the boards this weekend, cross your fingers for me!

It would be really neat if you measured the moisture content of the wood at milling time, and then posted pictures of the wood and updated moisture content every month for a year.

That's not a bad idea. I know most moisture meters don't read well above 35% moisture, but I can weigh and bake some to get a starting point. Plus my dad bought some stupid overpriced moisture meter, I'll see if it agreed with my numbers, and then try keeping on top of it

I did a table a year or so ago , that sits on the deck.. Legs and strechers made from 4"-6" cotton wood , that a beaver was kind enough to drop for me. Fully green at the time of construction, now that its dry no noticeable difference, no visual warping... Its referred to as the "Dam table'' and its a dam fine table indeed!

Latest posts

Back