Quality alternatives to Stihl saw chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwh963

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has experience with other brands that work well with Stihl (i have a 16" MS180C). just bought a Stihl chain for about $25. didn't stay sharp for long out of the box.

I've been running upstart chain about 4 year's on my small saws
16/18/20" and never had an issue
Usually 6-8.00 a loop if you buy 4 at once online
I got my firewood seller friend 20 loop's and he swears by it
Otherwise each chain is 26.00 at the Stihl dealer here Oregon 16-18.00 locally.

I've been running upstart chain about 4 year's on my small saws
16/18/20" and never had an issue
Usually 6-8.00 a loop if you buy 4 at once online
I got my firewood seller friend 20 loop's and he swears by it
Otherwise each chain is 26.00 at the Stihl dealer here Oregon 16-18.00 locally.
Totally off-topic, but this ancient motocrosser wonders if your moniker refers to the East German CZ motorcycle?

Resharpen it and it will be sharp again, lots and lots of how to info about it in here and you only need a 2 in 1 sharpener from your local dealer or off amazon if your unskilled. I can get at a minimum 12 sharpening's out of a chain and you can replace its files. Look up tallox on amazon its under 30 bucks for a 3 pack. They hold a decent edge, easy to file, stretch some at first.

Resharpen it and it will be sharp again, lots and lots of how to info about it in here and you only need a 2 in 1 sharpener from your local dealer or off amazon if your unskilled. I can get at a minimum 12 sharpening's out of a chain and you can replace its files. Look up tallox on amazon its under 30 bucks for a 3 pack. They hold a decent edge, easy to file, stretch some at first.

Sorry, but....12 sharpenings??? If that is ever a maxed-minimum of sharpenings, that's insane!

I can't even imagine how a chain can be cost effective at that rate.

OP: I like Carlton chain. It used to be a little pricier than some chain, but now it's on par or cheaper.

My Husqvarna dealer sells chains buy one, get one 50% off. Doesn't matter if I'm buying for my Husqvarna or Stihl that's where I get my chains.

Sorry, but....12 sharpenings??? If that is ever a maxed-minimum of sharpenings, that's insane!

OP: I like Carlton chain. It used to be a little pricier than some chain, but now it's on par or cheaper.

Question is what's a sharpening. I pass a file thru my chains cutters at least one stroke between cuttings. Is it a sharpening, a touch up, or an inspection?

On eBay, you can often find a good deal on Oregon chain. I won't found a guy liquidating chain that fit my Echo CS400 for roughly $6/chain. Insane deal and it will take me years to use it all.

I HIGHLY recommend you resharpen your chain. It effectively makes a $15 chain cost ~$1.50 because you get 10+ sharpenings out of it. I'll sometimes get 20 sharpenings if I just do a touch up job to keep it sharp and don't just wait until it's completely dull.

i usually drop my chains at the dealer for sharpening. costs $8/per. do you feel they are too aggressive and the off too much metal? probably can get 4 sharpening per chain.

i usually drop my chains at the dealer for sharpening. costs $8/per. do you feel they are too aggressive and the off too much metal? probably can get 4 sharpening per chain.
takes me 10 minutes to sharpen an 84 drive link chain and they last forever. I will not let a dealer near my chains

OP: I like Carlton chain. It used to be a little pricier than some chain, but now it's on par or cheaper
The soil is sand here, I cut downed hardwoods that often have been down a good long while that have sand splashed on its sides or drug by machinery. Cutting clean green wood its easily 20 sharpenings. Some chains have softer chisels so they dull faster and the file removes more metal faster. Like I said 12 resharpenings is the minimum for me while locals say they can get a maximum of 6-7 out of the local saw shop sharpening service.

Latest posts

Back