Quality alternatives to Stihl saw chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are cutting dirty wood, switch to a semi chisel like Stihl RM or Oregon BPX with semi chisel cutters. Do not cut quite as fast in green wood but stay sharp longer in dirty or dead wood.
In my learning experience over the years, you can run a file over a chain and have it shine but it still won't cut much, if any, better.
There is a bunch of sharpening info on here and some good videos on You Tube as well. Sharpening is like swimming or riding a bike. Once you learn, it's simple. Look out until you do:).
Don't be afraid to mess up. It's part of learning and we've all done it. You may find Oregon easier to learn on since the cutters are a little softer. Another big thing is taking care of your files. Keep them wrapped in a rag, soda straw or in the original case so they don't dull by hitting other files or tools. I like to clean mine off with some type of lube or cleaner after a few uses. Just spray on and wipe with as shop rag or old tooth brush. It helps get rid of the fines from sharpening. Don't be afraid to toss a file if it stops cutting like it should. You should get quite a few sharpenings out of one before that happens.
There are differences in files, too. Some are much better than others. Opinions from people will vary. I would use Stihl, Pferd, or something like Save Edge on Stihl chain. From what I've read they need a harder file. On Oregon chains, I use Woodland Pro or Pferd. A friend who logged for years uses Oregon.
If I'm telling you things you already know, my apology.

just wondering if anyone has experience with other brands that work well with Stihl (i have a 16" MS180C). just bought a Stihl chain for about $25. didn't stay sharp for long out of the box.
That's not Stihl's fault - obviously.
Oregon, Husqvarna, makita, Echo - all good. But if you want to mill some wood with your MS180c - there is no chain better or more long lasting than the Stihl mill chain - considerably so.

Perhaps fell the tree like 8" above the dirt, makes your chain last for a year rather then 10 minutes.

Stuff doesn’t stay sharp if you cut dirt. So then you stop and sharpen. It isn’t an indictment of the chain but just part of the game.

In clean green wood I get a few tanks before a sharpening is required. In dirty big wood, like crap that has been skidded through filth, I may sharpen every few cuts. It happens. And it is part of what pushed me to run short bars on big powerhead a (relative to bar length) - I can always lean on the bar like crazy, I get tons of opportunity to plunge cut, and it doesn’t take long to resharpen. Talking ported 50cc/13”/.325” and ported 70cc/16”/3/8”.

If I don't hit dirt, I sharpen about once each season. I use a chain sharpener and I know how to use it.
I use about 4-5 cubic meters of firewood in a year, I use different saws to fell, limb or buck the wood though.
I have no idea what 1 cubic meter is in feet and such, but 1 meter is about 1 yard so thats 1 yard in 3 directions making a box... sort of. That times 5, divided among at least 3 different saws - once a year.

Archer is decent chain. I haven’t tried all the aftermarket stuff. I’ve run it a couple years. 20”-32”
My favorite is still Oregon lgx. Filed so easy. Stayed sharp well enough.

If I don't hit dirt, I sharpen about once each season. I use a chain sharpener and I know how to use it.
I use about 4-5 cubic meters of firewood in a year, I use different saws to fell, limb or buck the wood though.
I have no idea what 1 cubic meter is in feet and such, but 1 meter is about 1 yard so thats 1 yard in 3 directions making a box... sort of. That times 5, divided among at least 3 different saws - once a year.
5 cubic meters looks like about 1.3 full cords. Split amongst at least three saws not too surprising you're at maybe once a year if you stay out of the dirt.

I use Oregon chain, if not the brand name of the saw.
I went to the Scoutmaster house, to help him limb some trees.
I ask about a saw chain file, he said he did not have one, he just bought a new chain & trashed the old one.
I thought Oh like a sawzall or jigsaw blade, when they got dull! WOW!

Latest posts

Back