Quality boots, corks, etc. Have any recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I guess this is the forum to post this.

Anybody have a favorite brand/style of work boots that work well for them. Pics help... if you have time to post some.

I had a pair of Redwing boots years ago. In every way possible, they were the most uncomfortable work boots I've ever owned.
Then had a pair of steel toe Caterpillar boots that were durable, but the steel toe seemed too small for the toe of the boot, and dug into my toes... horribly uncomfortable.
"Duck" boots have fairly good support and are waterproof. I don't think they would hold up well in the woods/logging industry.

Currently have a nice pair of "Magnum" tan leather boots. Normally $60, but bought them for $30 on sale. Not much arch support. They go up to about 3" above the ankle. Not sure how waterproof they are. I grease them with vaseline regularly, but they still seem to absorb the least little bit of water like a sponge.

I'm looking for a comfortable, waterproof, leather, work boot. Possibly even corks with the metal cleats in the bottom. Hopefully something under $200.

Your thoughts?

Buckin has a youtube video of JK Boots, in Spokane. They look magnificent, but prices seem quite steep, At least to me anyway.
I really don't need cleats. I'd be happy with just a good rubberized sole and leather upper.
In Winter, when there is snow on the ground, you almost have to wear all-rubber boots to stay dry. No matter how I treat the leather, I always wind up with wet feet. Wool socks help. Bread bags on my feet are not my cup of tea though.

Thorogood 6" hiking steel toe is one of the most comfortable boots I have found yet. I have them in black and brown,plus use them for around the house, etc.
1624242318961.png

In the heat and dense growth of the woods with the snakes and briars around, I go back to my 10" matterhorn model 1949 safety toe, but I think matterhorn discontinued them which is there loss, the dumbarses. From a google search looks like corcoran is making the boots now.
1624243975449.png

Anybody have a favorite brand/style of work boots that work well for them. Pics help... if you have time to post some.

I had a pair of Redwing boots years ago. In every way possible, they were the most uncomfortable work boots I've ever owned.
Then had a pair of steel toe Caterpillar boots that were durable, but the steel toe seemed too small for the toe of the boot, and dug into my toes... horribly uncomfortable.
"Duck" boots have fairly good support and are waterproof. I don't think they would hold up well in the woods/logging industry.

Currently have a nice pair of "Magnum" tan leather boots. Normally $60, but bought them for $30 on sale. Not much arch support. They go up to about 3" above the ankle. Not sure how waterproof they are. I grease them with vaseline regularly, but they still seem to absorb the least little bit of water like a sponge.

I'm looking for a comfortable, waterproof, leather, work boot. Possibly even corks with the metal cleats in the bottom. Hopefully something under $200.

Your thoughts?

Never use Vaseline

Try this

e606f6f9bbbcf1d0fe6145a800e42d69.png

I was a big fan of Whites before they sold. The last custom pair I ordered didn't even last a full season. Rebuild cost is way more than it was 6-8 years ago.

My former boss swears by Nicks. Haven't worn them but they seem as good as or better than Whites.

I bought some "cheapy" Redwings at just under $400. Not worth the money BUT they've held up so far. Downside is the lower ankle leather, thinner leather, and a flatter arch angle.

One of my co-workers has had a pair of Danner Quarry II for years and years. He's cut them multiple times and they still haven't fallen apart.

I steer clear of lower end Danner, as they are barely better built than a tennis shoe for the slopes and terrain we work on.

Lately I've just been buying used boots and wearing them til they fall apart. Not as comfortable as custom made, but not carrying the $700-900 price tag, comfort isn't always the priority.

Like with having multiple saws or chains to carry the load over time, I highly recommend having multiple pairs of boots so one pair doesn't see too much abuse too quickly.

Cheers!

I buy Danner boots, but I live near Portland and buy seconds from the factory store at significant discount. I’ve considered custom made, but they’re significantly more than the factory seconds. The Quarry boots I wear every day for work last ~4 years, but I take care of them and replace the insoles regularly.

Been wearing Redwing for years now. The model I used to get they don't make anymore. 8" loggers with the meta guard. This last pair I had for going on 6 years now. Needs resoled. I did get a $200.00 pair about 2 years ago, thought they were the us made, but they turned out to be the china version 8" loggers. Not very comfortable, the steel toes are narrower then my old boots. I doubt I'll get another year out of them. Most likely won't go back to red wing either.

Your thoughts?

Whites hands down

I wore redwing boots for a long time. It would normally take 3 or 4 days before they were broke in enough to wear all day long. The boots were comfortable, but +12 hrs per day on concrete always left my knees in bad shape (6'2" and about 205 lbs back then). Switch jobs and haven't really needed good work boots since then. In the field, I normally wear Muck boots or Danner boots, depending on the weather, ground conditions, and what I'm actually doing. I've had 2 pair of Danner hunting boots that have lasted me over 15 years (intermittent use). I needed a pair of boots for a trip out west this summer (first prairie dog hunting trip). I ended up buying a pair of 8" Danner Kinetics and LOVE them. They don't have a safety toe of any kind in them, but they are, by far, the MOST comfortable boots I've ever put on. I didn't realize that I didn't have a pair for the trip until the last minute, so I only got them in time to wear to work for one day. 2nd day was 16 hrs of traveling, and 3rd day I was on my feet for about 17 hrs, most of it hiking around on the prairie. First 2 days, my feet were just a little sore at the end of the day, but not bad. Since then, they've been perfect. Next time I buy a pair of work boots with a steel/safety toe, it will be from Danner.

For years, I used to buy the KMart "Texas Steers" $25 work boots and they worked fine, but can't get them anymore. Now for cheapies, I get the Adtec "Farm Boots" (about $50) or, for better boots, I go with Carolina Linesman's boots (the domestic ones). The Carolina Linesman's boots have big heels, so they work well if you want to use them with spikes.

In the winter I waterproof/condition the leather with coconut oil, and in the summer I buy the cheapest wax toilet gaskets I can find (about $2) and work that into the leather (it's mostly beeswax, I think) then cook it in with a heat gun.

I can warmly recommend Meindl Dovre if you want an insulated boot with a goretex membrane. If you're looking for a all-leather shell-style boot go ahead and look at Lundhags Vandra. Both are absolutely awesome and indestructible

As far as treating the boots, I've been told that you should stick with whatever the manufacturer used, at least with regards to synthetic vs natural preservatives. In other words, if the material was originally treated with a synthetic, then you should keep using synthetics. If the leather was treated with a non-synthetic product, then you should avoid applying synthetic products to it.

As a kid, I remember my dad would always use a product called Bear Grease on his boots. Before wearing them the first time, he would apply a liberal amount to the boot, then set them on a piece of aluminum foil in the oven for a few hours.

Latest posts

Back