Quality boots, corks, etc. Have any recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys ever weld, or use a cutting torch? We are talking about heavy duty work boots. They better withstand a fire boogie or two.
Do both. Still fail to see how that relates to "direct fire/coal exposure". I pay attention to where my feet are relative to the torch or welding fallout. Yes, I wear boots because some of it does find that home.

I used Carolina boots but always wanted White boots. I got a Smoke Jumper boots from sportsmansguide, I wish I bought more.

I did welding and fabrication too but I kept my feet away from the splatter. After sometime we get use to getting burnt.

Do both. Still fail to see how that relates to "direct fire/coal exposure". I pay attention to where my feet are relative to the torch or welding fallout. Yes, I wear boots because some of it does find that home.
Doesn't get much hotter then molten metal dripping on your feet, bit of coals better not muff up your boots. Been in some pretty awkward positions with hot stuff.

I've spent most of the last 27 years in work boots.
Fire service- Black Redwing steel toe with the zippers. Lasted 7 years as general duty boots and another 7 or so as knock around boots. The soles were smooth when I got rid of them and they melted pretty easily when welding. They were under $200 when I bought them.

Wildland firefighter- WesCo's Bought them in 1994 and i still have them although they need a rebuild. 3 fire seasons and lots of time in the woods. Were almost $400 but well worth it.

Painting cars- Whatever was cheapest as the chemicals and constantly being wet from sanding killed them quickly.

Welder- I've had Redwing, Lehigh, Timberland, Thorogood, Georgia, Dr. Martins, and many others in the last 21 years. The Georgias have held up the best while the Thorogoods are the most comfortable. Biggest issue with the Thorogoods that I bought is the tongue isn't sealed (not sure what the proper terminology here is) and they let all kinds of junk in so I would tape them up. When I head to the woods to work, I'm wearing Georgias. I have 3 pair and all were under $200. My feet have never been wet in the Gore-Tex lined ones. The non lined ones keep water out for about an hour if things are just damp, less if its really wet no mater what I treat them with.

You guys ever weld, or use a cutting torch? We are talking about heavy duty work boots. They better withstand a fire boogie or two.
steel toed

sure! both!! ~ got my own welders... u r right! boots, not tennis shoes... nothing worse imo... than hot slag on a pinky... lol ;)

iukwim ~

:cool:

'ouch!'
1624546388404.png

I guess this is the forum to post this.

Anybody have a favorite brand/style of work boots that work well for them. Pics help... if you have time to post some.

I had a pair of Redwing boots years ago. In every way possible, they were the most uncomfortable work boots I've ever owned.
Then had a pair of steel toe Caterpillar boots that were durable, but the steel toe seemed too small for the toe of the boot, and dug into my toes... horribly uncomfortable.
"Duck" boots have fairly good support and are waterproof. I don't think they would hold up well in the woods/logging industry.

Currently have a nice pair of "Magnum" tan leather boots. Normally $60, but bought them for $30 on sale. Not much arch support. They go up to about 3" above the ankle. Not sure how waterproof they are. I grease them with vaseline regularly, but they still seem to absorb the least little bit of water like a sponge.

I'm looking for a comfortable, waterproof, leather, work boot. Possibly even corks with the metal cleats in the bottom. Hopefully something under $200.

Your thoughts?

hi. boots always a good subject! imo. to buy new for me... HD type... steel toes and vibram soles!

from there just price as to style, construction quality and fit, etc...
1624546642204.png

i got several good sets of boots. one set thanks to US Navy/Marine steel toed flight boots... for those scary times when an ejection is the only solution!!... :surprised3: steel so as not to leave toes under the panel, as a departure is rather rapid! ;) ... even got a set of HD mountain boots... steel toed and half shank inner sole... steel! got them some years ago. about close to time i got the flight boots... think i paid $49.00 for them, all leather... no doubt $300 or more today...

these came my way just the other day. comp from SIL. almost new. i am not into used clothing, but wth! - not bad price on these... lol. so cleaned, deloused (lol :laugh:), vac'd interior of each, added healthy does of foot powder bottoms/sides... and a new Dr Scholl's inner liner, too. kinda like them... :cool:

what do you boot guys think?
P1010004.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010006.JPGP1010003.JPG

Buckin has a youtube video of JK Boots, in Spokane. They look magnificent, but prices seem quite steep, At least to me anyway.
I really don't need cleats. I'd be happy with just a good rubberized sole and leather upper.
In Winter, when there is snow on the ground, you almost have to wear all-rubber boots to stay dry. No matter how I treat the leather, I always wind up with wet feet. Wool socks help. Bread bags on my feet are not my cup of tea though.
used to live close to there... Pullman, WA... great country up there EWNS, and a good set of boots always come in handy....

Never use Vaseline

Try this

e606f6f9bbbcf1d0fe6145a800e42d69.png
good to water proof exteriors... we always used Neatsfoot oil
1624547432192.png

Lately I've just been buying used boots and wearing them til they fall apart. Not as comfortable as custom made, but not carrying the $700-900 price tag, comfort isn't always the priority. Like with having multiple saws or chains to carry the load over time, I highly recommend having multiple pairs of boots so one pair doesn't see too much abuse too quickly. Cheers!
a :envy: saved is a :envy: earned!

as is often said, if the shoe fits, wear it! ;)

For years, I used to buy the KMart "Texas Steers" $25 work boots and they worked fine, but can't get them anymore. Now for cheapies, I get the Adtec "Farm Boots" (about $50) or, for better boots, I go with Carolina Linesman's boots (the domestic ones). The Carolina Linesman's boots have big heels, so they work well if you want to use them with spikes. In the winter I waterproof/condition the leather with coconut oil, and in the summer I buy the cheapest wax toilet gaskets I can find (about $2) and work that into the leather (it's mostly beeswax, I think) then cook it in with a heat gun.
interesting... i have some exotic (over priced!) leather wax rub for my Brooks leather seat (saddle) on my hikenbike 21 speed... nice stuff... it came with the seat -

I can warmly recommend Meindl Dovre if you want an insulated boot with a goretex membrane. If you're looking for a all-leather shell-style boot go ahead and look at Lundhags Vandra. Both are absolutely awesome and indestructible
no doubt about it... as you say... on some boots the quality and craftsmanship is... awesome! totally :numberone: stuff ~

I used Carolina boots but always wanted White boots. I got a Smoke Jumper boots from sportsmansguide, I wish I bought more.

I did welding and fabrication too but I kept my feet away from the splatter. After sometime we get use to getting burnt.
hard to avoid the splatter when running a cuttin' torch.... ;)

1624548370765.png

Doesn't get much hotter then molten metal dripping on your feet, bit of coals better not muff up your boots. Been in some pretty awkward positions with hot stuff.
you are so right! :yes: i have caught a molten bit or two over the years... even cleaning slag off an arc bead can get your attention! ... and real fast, too! :dumb:

:wtf: is one way to say it... lol

you are so right! :yes: i have caught a molten bit or two over the years... even cleaning slag off an arc bead can get your attention! ... and real fast, too! :dumb:

:wtf: is one way to say it... lol

I like it when you're welding overhead and hot spatter drips into your ear and does a China Syndrome / Aliens blood meltdown on your head. That's what they make cigarette butts for!

I think sub $200 is tough for a good boot especially if American made is important to you. I love my redwings and had several pair in my elevator career. The most comfortable was the moc toe wedge thorogoods but I only had them a week. I pulled an eyelet out of the leather tightening them up one morning so I returned them. That has never happened to my redwings. I also have a 6” pair of timberland pro steel toes that I use occasionally around the house, They hurt my feet though. I would never wear them to work.

I’ll stick to my redwings.

Back