Quality boots, corks, etc. Have any recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoffman Boots in Idaho.
Their leather top caulks, '2 in ones' are considered a winter boot but we use them through the summer even with the full thinsulate boots.
They are at the $200 range.
Go to logging sec on their site.
I second this. I have a pair of caulked Hoffmann's that are insulated are great in winter. Walking over logs, blow down or random crap is easy peasy. I don't fall down much anymore. They are pretty durable too. I get em' from a shop in Orofino, ID which is close to me. For regular summer use I have really liked Nick's boots in the past. Nowadays Nick's aren't as good as they use to be though. Frank's Boots out of Spokane seem to be where it's at right now! I'm having them rebuild an old pair of Nick's for me currently. Really good quality craftsmanship there! They don't tear up my feet and provide good arch and ankle support. They provide good protection from anything like construction, logging, firefighting, or welding. Obenauffs boot grease works great on them, I've been using the stuff for twenty years now.

As far as the direct fire/coal exposure aspect I can illuminate a little bit of that. As far as wildland fire goes, you're going to end up in direct contact with fire, walking over hot coals/embers or briefly standing on them here and there. It's an inherent part of the job, more so if your on a crew, module or an engine that actually does stuff. Nick's, Frank's, Whites all provide great resistance to the heat but the direct contact does reduce the overall life of the boot. Wouldn't recommend Danners or Hawthornes for that though, not as good material in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I try hard to keep my boots away from direct fire/coal exposure.
If you're burning a big brush pile and all of a sudden you realize the hilltop 50 feet above you is on fire, as well as several spots around you, keeping your boots away from coals becomes the last thought on your mind. However, the fact that the front of the saw chaps you're wearing is soaked with bar oil will become one of the first thoughts to run through your head. Back to the boots, when a pile is mostly burned out I'll often use my foot to nudge the non-burned edges into the middle of the pile.

I think sub $200 is tough for a good boot especially if American made is important to you. I love my redwings and had several pair in my elevator career. The most comfortable was the moc toe wedge thorogoods but I only had them a week. I pulled an eyelet out of the leather tightening them up one morning so I returned them. That has never happened to my redwings. I also have a 6” pair of timberland pro steel toes that I use occasionally around the house, They hurt my feet though. I would never wear them to work. I’ll stick to my redwings.
they been around a long time. we had redwings as kids... '58 era... they cost around $15-20 for our redwing 'clodhoppers'! maybe a bit less....

I second this. I have a pair of caulked Hoffmann's that are insulated are great in winter. Walking over logs, blow down or random crap is easy peasy. I don't fall down much anymore. They are pretty durable too. I get em' from a shop in Orofino, ID which is close to me. For regular summer use I have really liked Nick's boots in the past. Nowadays Nick's aren't as good as they use to be though. Frank's Boots out of Spokane seem to be where it's at right now! I'm having them rebuild an old pair of Nick's for me currently. Really good quality craftsmanship there! They don't tear up my feet and provide good arch and ankle support. They provide good protection from anything like construction, logging, firefighting, or welding. Obenauffs boot grease works great on them, I've been using the stuff for twenty years now.

As far as the direct fire/coal exposure aspect I can illuminate a little bit of that. As far as wildland fire goes, you're going to end up in direct contact with fire, walking over hot coals/embers or briefly standing on them here and there. It's an inherent part of the job, more so if your on a crew, module or an engine that actually does stuff. Nick's, Frank's, Whites all provide great resistance to the heat but the direct contact does reduce the overall life of the boot. Wouldn't recommend Danners or Hawthornes for that though, way too chincy material in my opinion.
bit more than just a few yrs back, i had a side shop at a tex-mex grocery that was a shoe shop/repairs quote me price just to resole some boots with vibram. $100/pr....

Being a construction electrician you are on concrete floors and your boots are your best friend.I have to agree with the other poster about Texas Steer work boots.Every time I was state side and in a Kmart I would buy a pair of Texas Steer work boots rub them down with Neetsfoot oil and the most comfortable work boot and a bonus at 39.99 a pair.I have wore Redwing Georgia boot and lots of other big name brands but none beat the Texas Steers they were comfy light in weight and lasted fairly well.
Kash

My first pair of good boots were Whites that I bought around 1987. I still have them but they are really stiff. I have other Whites too but I would not buy them again. Once they sold to the Japanese the price is really high considering the quality. Now I wear Nick's or Danner boots (Danner is the same Japanese company as Whites). The Danner boots are very comfortable but NOT durable, I might get a year out of them and I mostly wear them in the Winter.

Nick's, Frank's, JK are all good boots.

Frank's are the sturdiest of the lot right now for the Spokane boot companies. Frank worked at Nick's for 20 some years, and Nick had been with White's way back. They are all built in a similar fashion. My last Whites were not near as good as the first. Didn't care for the service at Nick's and JKs seem a bit soft compared to the other 3. Frank's fit very similar to my White's. Living in Spokane has its perks.

I'll have to check out Frank's for my next pair of customs. I hadn't heard Danner was also caught up in the sale. That was LaCrosse right, that then sold to a Japanese firm? My brain is fuzzy this morning.....

Thanks for the recs.

I'll have to check out Frank's for my next pair of customs. I hadn't heard Danner was also caught up in the sale. That was LaCrosse right, that then sold to a Japanese firm? My brain is fuzzy this morning.....

Thanks for the recs.
Danner sold a long time ago (more than 10 years IIRC). The son wasn't involved in the company, so I imagine that had something to do with it. Lots of their boots are made over seas these days.

Been a custom Viberg guy for the past 15 years or so. My last pair made from Water Cape Buffalo... each boot sized individually per foot and calf.

Not sure what's available in my kneck of the woods anymore, but Wesco, Whites, Kuliens, and Vibergs were the norm for decades.

JK Boots would be the only company right now to possibly make me try something different from Viberg.

Otherwise, I only use Obenhaufs on my boots... been doing so for about 20 years. Won't use anything else.

20210721_200044.jpg

What is JK offering that the others are not?
Located in Spokane, Washington vs. shipping to and from Canada. My current pair of Vibergs are going to need rebuilt here soon after all these years. I've only had them resoled once otherwise.

I keep hearing about JK from time to time. Feedback from others say the fit is amazing and craftsmanship is superb. I'd probably take a trip to the Eastside of Washington to see what all the fuss is about.

A little worried Viberg has now focused their attention on making boots more for "Metro Sexuals", less focused on working folk The younger generation of owners might possibly have less interest of making work boots... see link below.

For me and others in my network of family, friends, and past coworkers... Wesco always have been the stiff, not as comfy cheaper option... Whites are good, but not the best... Kulians are great fitting, nice craftsmanship, but can't take abuse like Vibergs.

https://www.stitchdown.com/brands/viberg-boots/a-look-at-where-viberg-is-taking-things-in-2020/

Got it. JK and Frank's (formerly the home of Nick's) are tiny little shops. If you blink you would miss them. I prefer a firmer leather in my boots, and JKs seem to use a bit softer leather, and the tongues are made out of a very soft material. I like a bit more substance in the tongue. I think they all originated from White's, as I can see no other reason why there would be 4 boot companies here.

I have Hoss brand logger boots. Wide toe cap, waterproof, heavy duty. The brand has a wide selection of different types of boots and they are reasonably priced. They are a high quality boot from what I’ve experienced. I expect to have these for 10 years or more

Attachments

• 03C0950D-6930-4BC2-86E8-5DBBED835151.jpeg
    03C0950D-6930-4BC2-86E8-5DBBED835151.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Got it. JK and Frank's (formerly the home of Nick's) are tiny little shops. If you blink you would miss them. I prefer a firmer leather in my boots, and JKs seem to use a bit softer leather, and the tongues are made out of a very soft material. I like a bit more substance in the tongue. I think they all originated from White's, as I can see no other reason why there would be 4 boot companies here.
I was curious about the leather used, but do they offer different types, ie. Buffalo? I saw that as well, a few shops originating from another, originating from Whites.

Ariat is among the leaders in cowboy boots manufacturing. The well-established brand has many safety boots loved by workers, horse riders, and more. Their durable materials, EVA midsole, and fit create a good balance for various job requirements. Meanwhile, Justin boots also serve a wide range of duties with their hand-crafting durable work boots. The famous boot-maker values craftsmanship as they treat their products like artwork. Both Ariat and Justin come with their own strength.
Are you kidding?

Back