Question about a Stihl MS311

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Pete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As you know, the OEM drive sprocket on this chainsaw is part of what I call the clutch drum - the cylindrical part that is grabbed by the centrifugal weights in the clutch. When the drive sprocket wears, one must replace the whole part.

Bailey's online sells Oregon parts to replace this, a drum with a splined shaft where the Stihl drive sprocket goes, and separate drive sprockets that fit on this splined shaft. Replacing an $8 wear item instead of an OEM part costing 3 to 4 times as much seemed to be a no brainer, and I bought the Oregon drum and a couple of drive sprockets for my 311.

Yesterday while cutting up a medium sized tree (say 18" at the stump), my 311 threw the OEM 'E' clip that holds the drive sprocket on the shaft. The bearing and sprocket immediately fell off the shaft, I saw the chain loosen and I pulled the cover off for inspection. Nothing appears to be damaged, and I have spare parts. I recently used this saw with a rip chain and a cheapie mill to cut up an apple tree log into planks (say two hours use) so I know the system works.

QUESTIONS: 1. Was replacing the OEM sprocket/drum with those Oregon parts foolish?
2. Was the 'E' clip's failure common to saws with these Oregon parts?
3. Do any pros use these Oregon parts (this will tell me that they do work and this was a sensible mod to the saw)?

Never had any problem with Oregon bars, chains or drive sprockets. Though I am hardly a pro any more, I know commercial loggers use them because stihl brand wear parts like these are absurdly expensive.

E clips are a wear item too and its a good idea to have spares. When its sprocket time, i usually get a new clip and save the old one for just in case. If it looks weird or bent though I throw it in the ditch.

Back