Question about best stump grinding wheels and teeth.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustic2200

Reaction score
I've been grinding for a while now and finally broke down, went in the hole and purchased a 2006 Carlton 7015 wheeled wireless unit. I'm not happy with it's current grinding ability and believe it is due to the wheel set up. It's currently set up with 1100 series green teeth. I don't like the way the teeth are placed on the wheel I think it's a really old inefficient set up.

I'm debating
option #1:
ditching the 1100 series teeth for 900 series teeth. cost around $700
Option #2:
changing wheel and going with a reverse S green wheel (900 series teeth) I think cost is around $2400
Option #3:
new river wheel cost of around $3000

I would love the new river wheel but teeth are $16.49 vs. $12 to $13 for green teeth.

I'm leaning toward the 900 series tooth change this year and if I still don't like that then next year upgrade to the reverse s or maybe the new river wheel.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Also is anyone in love with either of these wheels over the other I would love to hear some input. Thanks in advance.

What exactly don't you like about the grinding ability of your machine? does it seem slow to you or don't like the chip size? is it a problem with speed and HP? Or is it possible that its maybe a technique problem? What was your previous machine that you are comparing performance to?

I run the 900 series on my Vermeer sc505 tracked machine and have no complaints about the speed of them. I have no experience with the reverse-S pattern wheel but mine is about shot so in a year or two I will be replacing it. I was looking into the reverse-S wheel too. The machine I started out with was old Vermeer model 630A so the bump in HP and speed/performance was huge to me. I switched both machines from factory Vermeer teeth to green teeth and also noticed massive gains on each. One pointer on technique I have noticed with the green teeth was not to take too large of a forward bite when you drive ahead. They seem to cut better with the grain than across the grain. I noticed this mainly on the 505 due to it being self propelled. With the 630 being a towed unit i ground completely horizontal across the stump at depth where as the self propelled machines are a different style.

Another style Iv'e heard many good reviews on is the Carlton Razor (Sandvik) cutting system. May be worth considering before dumping coin into a system the same style as you're currently unhappy with

I have sold about 5 reverse S cutter wheels and all of my customers are extremely happy with it. They run the 926 WS-2 GreenTeeth and they say it grinds about 40-45% better than previous wheels.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Back