Question about my 05 International bucket truck with a Altec 55ft aerial

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrjimbov

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2005 International bucket truck with a Altec 55ft aerial at a equipment auction. It has the DT466 engine and a automatic transmission. To engage the PTO; you put the truck in neutral, set the air (park) brake, and then you pull the lever on the right side of the steering column that is used to activate the air brakes of a trailer... if you're pulling a trailer (NOTE - this also turns the brake lights on). And then flip the PTO toggle switch on the dash.
I noticed that the PTO will also engage if you apply the foot brake for the truck. And it disengages as soon as you let off the brake pedal. So, I'm guessing that the PTO is somehow tied into the brake lights.

A friend use to own a similar truck (2000 International with a Altec 50ft aerial and the same DT466 engine and automatic transmission). He said to engage the PTO on his truck he had to apply the foot brake, put the truck in drive, flip the PTO toggle switch on the dash, put the truck in neutral, set the air (park) brake, and then take your foot off of the foot brake.
We tried this method with my truck and, as soon as you release the foot brake (and the brake lights go out) the PTO shuts off. Apply the brakes, and it comes back on.

I'm hoping someone on here has first hand experience with these trucks and can tell me if my truck has some sort of major electrical issue that I need to address before I attempt to use the truck. The last thing I want to do is get 50ft up in the bucket and have a electrical malfunction and need the fire department come rescue me.

Back